Notices

Fully built turbo b16a2 build questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully built turbo b16a2 build questions!

Hey guys im gonna be straight up honest that im a noobie to the honda scene. I recently purchased a 1996 Civic EX with a 2000 b16a2 swap, not sure if its a whole front end or just the motor swap.

The motor has a couple of mods, MSD Digital 6 Ignition, coil, distributor, ebay headers to a flex pipe > straight pipe.

Im still pondering a reliable NA build or going towards the F1 route which will equal more power but more problems that will eventually start popping up.

If I do go the turbo route, id like to low the compression on the motor with forged higher comp pistons, crankshaft, cams and a nice turbo kit I could use for daily driving and have fun when I need to. Thinking a Greddy 18g Turbo AC friendly Kit would be a good choice.

What do you all think the parts would run me for this build? I know the turbo kit is around $3000 brand new including all necessary parts, and the internal rebuild will cost me im thinking $2500 max. Will this work ok with an exedy pro-kit clutch?

Im just unsure if I should go this route or go a NA 1.9 stroker kit + ITB's and have money to get a nice exhaust.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fully built turbo b16a2 build questions!

1. Figure out what the purpose of the vehicle is going to be.
2. Figure out how much power you may want down the road.
3. Figure out what setup is going to allow you to reach those goals & some.

A greddy kit is not ideal as it will limit your ultimate power output.
A stroker 1.9L with ITBS is not going to be practical nor make any power compared to a turbocharged setup.

My advice would be to have you remove any MSD components from the vehicle unless you have the plug wires.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
1. Figure out what the purpose of the vehicle is going to be.
2. Figure out how much power you may want down the road.
3. Figure out what setup is going to allow you to reach those goals & some.

A greddy kit is not ideal as it will limit your ultimate power output.
A stroker 1.9L with ITBS is not going to be practical nor make any power compared to a turbocharged setup.

My advice would be to have you remove any MSD components from the vehicle unless you have the plug wires.
I want a street driveable vehicle that will be fun to drive but not too much. I want like 300hp to the weels and torque up ther along with it, and I want it to be able to last and be reliable.

It does have the plug wires? Whats wrong with the MSD componets and what should I replace them with?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can boost the stock motor and have it run reliable on 93 pump gas. I would build your own kit, and get like a t3t4 57trim. Perfect street turbo, as on my ls motor it hit full spool @ 3k rpm. That turbo is capable of up to like 450-500 tops maxed out. I had a junkyard ls motor with 120k on it when I did my first boost motor, and it made 346hp, and 298 tq on 13 psi on that turbo. It ran FOREVER, I even tried to blow the thing up when my built motor was done and it just woulnd't. Obviously building it will be better, and if you go that route, get some 9:1 pistons and rods, you would be able to run alittle more boost with that compression, or go 9:5:1 or 10:1 to be alittle more peppy on the street. Either way do a search on here, MANY people have made over 300hp reliably, and on stock motors @ that. I personally would do boost over N/A, if you get the right size turbo for what you want it will work perfect, you just need to find a medium. You don't want a little greddy thing like dude said, it will limit you and will prolly max out if you wanna turn it up in the future, but you don't want too big either as the turbo wont be in it's efficiency range with the boost your runing. A 57 trim or 60-1 t3 turbo would be perfect, I'd say if your not going to try and make much more than 300hp go with the 57 trim. Boost will be quicker and more responsive with that turbo for the street, and like I said can make more power than that down the road if you want.