Notices

fully built d16z6 starting problem... please help me

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fully built d16z6 starting problem... please help me

i just put a d16z6 in my 96 honda dx... i have a base mapped p28 ecu from phearable.net. im using my factory wiring harness with a conversion harness for the p28.... i have a 3 bar map, 780cc injectors, t3 turbo, and more....

what its doing...

before the car would start up and run shitty as hell... got it timed by the guy who built my motor and it starts up and idles ok.. the problem is as soon as i touch the gas it stalls out... i still have the 3 wire iacv on there under my throttle body... ive seen where on the z6/p28 ecu you have to have a 2 wire iacv and its behind the intake mani.. and you have to change the sensor and plug and change some wires around on the ecu... i know how to do that but do you think a iacv would make my car stall out if i have the 3 wire on there.... i thought that it would just idle rough but still be able to drive...... on the z6 and the dx is the throttle positioning sensor wired the same...??? 3 wires??? oh also the dizzy has to be wired right becuz i bought the dizzy jumper harness from rywire.com.....

im open to any suggestions... this car has been sitting for 2 weeks..!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before the car would start up and run shitty as hell... got it timed by the guy who built my motor and it starts up and idles ok.. the problem is as soon as i touch the gas it stalls out... i still have the 3 wire iacv on there under my throttle body... ive seen where on the z6/p28 ecu you have to have a 2 wire iacv and its behind the intake mani.. and you have to change the sensor and plug and change some wires around on the ecu...

***You need a 2 wire, I am guessing you have a CEL right?

It could be a tip-in. It could also be the fact that your ROM may not have the correct MAP sensor configuration...

There are alot of factors involved, what is your timing with enigne warm and the service connector jumpered?

Bigger CC injectors are a bitch to tune, there is injector battery offset, tip-in, enrichment, etc... lots to vary the behavior of the injectors.

You really need a WB02 (minimum) and a datalogger to be able to fix the bugs.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

i just got it back from the guy today... the car like revvs up, sounds like its hitting rev limiter around 3000rpms.... i have launhc control on it but if i shut it off and floor it as soon as it starts up it will go all the way up to like 7000rpms.. and as its doing all that white smoke comes out the exhaust and smells just like gas... and it smokes a good bit like its getting too much gas... also i bought a cheap obd2 to obd1 conversion harness off ebay and some of the wires came out and i hooked them back up and it still does it... and as the car is running if i push on the wires on my conv. harness sometimes it revvs different, and sometimes it will cut out..... do you think my conversion harness sucks..?? and the chipped phearable.net ecu has a bad base map??? im running a 3 bar map sensor... and thats what it should have been based mapped for as well as 780cc injectors and 20 psi of boost... do you think i should order another basemap and instead of 20psi of boost tell them 10psi of boost until i can get it to a tuner and they can tune it for 20psi..??? im also going to get a new obd2 to obd1 conv. harness from rywire.com

thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostfreak0885)

Yes your conv. harness SUCKS. also if the 3 bar map is not in right or is bad you will get way to much fuel. also if the o2 sensor is not reading WAY off you would have the same problem. the other thing it could be is that the Base map might be just that a Base P28 map and not set to the bigger injectors or the fact you have a turbo.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Solster)

i have a chip burner and Crome with both boost tools and fuel tools for setting boost tables and over sizesed injectors and i made a base p30 JDM ecu with P28 fuel maps 6 table boost and set to 750 CC injecters. if you can pay pal me some money i will burn it and send it to you i have done one boosted honda chip befor and it ran fine for 3 weeks till he got it tuned and his tuner said it needed little tuning to be right.

Now i'm not going to say this Will fix all your problems but it can't hurt to try.

just so you know the chip i have i payed $5 each for. also if you want to send me the chip you have i can download the rom from it and see if thay even did any thing to it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM

well i got it from phearable.net... i got it from auto-works.com from greg carter... he called the guy there and told him what comp im running, what size turbo, what size injectors, and what size map sensor and how much boost im gonna run... he wanted to know all that for my base map... im going to hook up my 2 wire iacv tonight as well as a intake air temparture sensor that i never had hooked up cuz on my old setup it didnt even make a difference on my obd2 y7 motor... but the guy at phearable.net said that the intake air temp sensor plays a major part on how you car runs because its obd1 and chipped so it needs that snesor to work right.... as for my o2 sensors... they turn off all knock sensor.02 sensors and limiters like speed and stuff..... so my ecu looks for the 3 bar map and my iat sensor and stuff..
Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

i just checked my cells... it has one steady flash which is a 10 and is the idle air temp sensor which i havnt hooked up yet and it has 7 quick flashes which is my tps sensor, those 2 things combined will it make it run like total crap and act really weird and burn soo much fuel where it smokes white
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO you should put the stock injectors, stock map sensor, and stock ecu in the car to get it running. No reason to mess up a new motor by guessing without a tuner there.

That way you know it will run.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

an obd2 p2e ecu will not run a d16z6 motor... for one thing and my cps is not on a d16z6 motor so eevrything would be screwed up.... the only way to get it to a tuner is to fix it with what i will running it with... i wont mess up a motor if its sitting there idling..... i dont drive it.. and i just checked my cells and it says its the tps, and iat sensors.... which would be a major cause of my car not running and smoking white from getting wayy to much fuel
Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfreak0885 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an obd2 p2e ecu will not run a d16z6 motor... for one thing and my cps is not on a d16z6 motor so eevrything would be screwed up.... the only way to get it to a tuner is to fix it with what i will running it with... i wont mess up a motor if its sitting there idling..... i dont drive it.. and i just checked my cells and it says its the tps, and iat sensors.... which would be a major cause of my car not running and smoking white from getting wayy to much fuel </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it will run the motor just fine to get it started as long as you have the stock injectors and map sensor in there. BTW you can mimic the sensor you are talking about with a simple wiring trick, but that sensor alone will not keep the car from running.

Doing this will just get the 3 bar, injectors and ecu out of the picture. That way you can fix everything else that might be wrong with the car.

I am just giving you my advice, it isn't like I have built any hondas in the past to give you some advice, which I think it pretty crucial as far as getting a built motor to run for the first time.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

im taking anyones advice... im sure you have built many hondas.... what is the wiring trick...??? i was told by the guy at phearable.net that the chipped obd1 ecu needs the iat sensor to fuction properly and he said that could be a major part of my problem.... i just pulled the cells and i know my map sensor is hooked up right....
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are throwing iat & tps codes. You were throwing other codes aswell.

My bet is that your IAT sensor is not wired properly & is probably damaged which is contributing to your issues.

Break down & have the car towed to your tuner. You are dealing with multiple issues which you need to resolve properly in order to even think of trying to start the car up.

Another major issue, is the basemap you purchased was not purchased directly from us, you bought it through a 3rd party. For all we know it is not mapped properly for your setup as you did not buy the ecu directly from us.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: (mtber)

the nearest tuner is 200 miles away... that a too expensive towing bill alone.... the iat sensor is not hooked up yet..... the guy that ordered my ecu for me deals with you guys... he asked me everything from comp ratio to what size turbo/map/injectors/ and what psi... the iat on my last setup it did not affect anything on my obd2 ecu... im getting the sensor from my friend tom.. i just dont understand how i can have a bad tps if im reusing the same throttle body that was on my old motor that ran fine.. the cell is only throwing those two codes...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (rota92)

the car obviously did not rely on the iat sensor on obd2 (p2e ecu) because my car ran perfectly fine... it may rely on it now because its an obd1 ecu and the iat sensor is on the manifold rather then just stuck in the airbox....

and another thing not that i dont want to pay to tow it 200 miles... its the point in trying to find the problem out myself.. you dont learn anything by taking it somewhere and letting someone else do the work... its called pin pointing things... and getting others opinions... if everyone on honda tech said take it to a tuner and let them fix it... then there would be no point in a reference site and getting others opinions...... i asked for opinions of what people think the problem may be.. i did not ask someone to tell me to take it somewhere to get it fixed
Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 PM

Maryland International Raceway thats a tuner?? there is carv2 in wilmington but her said he cant tune crome
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are using a larger injector then stock along with a different map sensor/engine management system. IAT not being plugged in nor properly installed in the vehicle would cause a major issue.

Modified by mtber at 2:45 AM 11/6/2007
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had problems like this my 3 bar wires were not making a good conection...
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegman23)

you can only ballpark a basetune without having the car there...

You can basemap DMS450's for my car, and it won't run right, wont start unless you gun the gas, but if you make an offset correction, BAM, it works alot better.

You really need to get it to a tuner ASAP, or put in the stock injectors to break in the motor staying out of boost as much as possible.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

just to let all you guys know... took it to someone else and he took it all apart to find out the guy bored it too big... now i have to get new rings, and new oversized pistons!!!!!!