Notices

Full Silicone Intercooler Piping? Opinions? Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full Silicone Intercooler Piping? Opinions? Experience?

Ok, so I was thinking about doing a full intercooler piping from silicone. I found a website that has GREAT pricing on their silicone couplers, but noticed they sell 2' straight lengths of silicone tubing for custom full silicone piping. I want to know what you guys/girls think about it? Has anyone ever done this? What are the pros/cons of this set up besides the obvious?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Full Silicone Intercooler Piping? Opinions? Experience? (denraweb)

for it to hole pressure, it would have to be thick, how much different in weight is it from aluminum?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our FM2 Miata turbo kits all use full silicone charge piping. The Miata guys seem to have good luck with them as it is much easier to route through tight engine bays. I would think that metal would hold up better to the heat cycling and would cost less over time. You can always use silicone piping if you have to get around something tightly and connect it to metal pipe.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full Silicone Intercooler Piping? Opinions? Experience? (Dartanian)

Remember, most cars that come turbo from the factory use silicone piping.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full Silicone Intercooler Piping? Opinions? Experience? (Tippyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remember, most cars that come turbo from the factory use silicone piping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don’t know about factory turbo cars coming with silicone piping, fiber wrapped rubber hose is what they usually use.

Anyway, a friend of mine had one of the first front mount kits that came out for WRX’s. It was made by APS and was full silicone piping.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 PM

how much boost are you running? depending on the thickness and grade of the hose it could collapse under boost.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full Silicone Intercooler Piping? Opinions? Experience? (Buzzbomb)

Well yea, everything is a tight squeez in my engine bay. Keeping ABS (Makes it even tighter) as well as power steering and AC. Also since silicone is flexible, it leaves room for error or miscalculations. On top of that, removal seems like it would be easier. The silicone I was looking at is pretty thick. The inner diameter is 2.5" and the outer diameter is 2.875", I'm not good with numbers but isnt that a little over 3mm thick?

Anywho, another reason I wanted to do it was because it was cheap. A 2' 2.50" straight is only $50. I can even cut that into 8 3" pieces. That same website sells the 3" 2.50" couplers for 9.99...if I bought 8, it would be $80....saved $30 just by cutting it myself. But I prolly won't be cutting it lol. As for the weight, I am unsure. But it isn't really an issue for me, as it can't be much of a difference, lighter or not. Anyways, thanks for all the info guys. Anyone else?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So part being lazy, and part not having enough pipes and couplers, i use a 2.5 inch rubber hose for my intercooler piping. It connects the passenger intercooler pipe to the pipe off of the throttle body. Has worked well since i put it on. Was at 22lbs with an 18g and now at 12lbs with a 20g. No problems, but i am in for the negative effects this could cause.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (Argetnia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Argetnia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much boost are you running? depending on the thickness and grade of the hose it could collapse under boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was kinda thinking its more likely to explode than collapse lol.

Personally I think it would work fine.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (agrn93ls)

At max, prolly around 12lbs, but most likely will do about 8-10lbs daily...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard,the silicone pipes are heavier than the aluminum hard pipes,and the whole reason for using hard pipes is for pressure,im just saying,its stupid to use silicone for boost,thats why they make hardpipes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM92da6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM92da6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard,the silicone pipes are heavier than the aluminum hard pipes</TD></TR></TABLE>

And aluminum also cost a lot more as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

Exactly. If I'm not gonna be running a crazy set up with crazy boost then I have come to the conclusion that silicone piping will do the job good enough.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (denraweb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denraweb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly. If I'm not gonna be running a crazy set up with crazy boost then I have come to the conclusion that silicone piping will do the job good enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen some really bad setups in the past. Plastic pipe, rubber hose ( radiator hose ) and what not used and work. Your stepping up from that, and using good silicone hose.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

silicone hose isnt that flexable.. if you make it go around a bend the radius has to be huge or the hose will kink.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 AM

HPA uses silicone piping for their turbo kits and some of them run over 22psi.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have seen some really bad setups in the past. Plastic pipe, rubber hose ( radiator hose ) and what not used and work. Your stepping up from that, and using good silicone hose. </TD></TR></TABLE>

whats wrong with pvc, rad hose, fence posts, your grandmas false leg, ect. ect. ect. ?????

basically its your own ****, try it out, if it doesnt work try something else

N O