Notices

OK, new plan, how bad is Crushbent for Turbo?? =)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, new plan, how bad is Crushbent for Turbo?? =)

I was going to piece together some U bends and J bends to make my intercooler piping for my turbo... BUT.... i dont' think i have the patience and time for that....... plus i think it'll be too hard and have too many welds or hose connectors....

THEN... i was gonna have a shop do it for me, but that will cost about $250+.........

SO...... since i'm not planning on boosting much (5-6psi), and i only plan on using small piping (2"-2.25"), how bad would it be to use crushbent piping for my intercooler piping? i mean would i lose a lot of power? enough that i should pay the extra money to get mandrel bent? crushbent would prolly be less than $100 easy....

cuz i know for the exhaust system, the extra money for mandrel bent is worth about 1-2hp at most.... but what about intercooler piping? maybe i can just use a little bigger piping than originally planned to make up for it?

also i'm using the stock eclipse intercooler anyway, and i hear that's pretty restrictive also......

so what do you guys think? crush bent OK??? let me know..... i have to make a decision like in a week.....

Old 07-22-2001, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OK, new plan, how bad is Crushbent for Turbo?? =) (Tr0LL)

that's gonna be kinda ghetto. I would suggest trying to gather up some money and getting real piping done.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:25 AM
Trial User

Default Re: OK, new plan, how bad is Crushbent for Turbo?? =) (Tr0LL)

if i remember correctly, crushbends have a smaller diameter around the radius of the bends? well IC it's important i think to make it flow well because you dont want to have too much pressure loss, which will effect your overall efficiency. the stock IC for the eclipse and most(not all) turbo cars are not that great..i would suspect they dont flow enough(read restrictive), or use low density turbulators to allow more flow, but at a cost of heat transfer being less than par...but thats a different story.....i think you should save up....cause we hear it over and over again "save up and get it done right, or go cheap and pay for it later" .