Notices

Fuel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Questions and Some Timing Q's

Hello all...got a question, since I'll boosted (yes still not here yet, getting VERY anxious) is it REALLY necessary to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors? I'm going for 200-250 MAX whp on my 99 ex with stock internals. (I'd prefer 200-225 whp) Some places and people tell me I can run this at 7 PSI with stock injectors and stock fuel pump. I have also heard I need just the fuel pump and others say I need both. What's your opinions? I think stock injectors can handle it myself...i mean if the stock fuel rail can support a lot of fuel for a lot of horsepower, I think the injectors can as well. Let me know and thanks in advance.

EDIT** Forgot to ask...will the oil pan be able to hold JB Weld for the oil return line? I don't think it gets hot enough to cause a problem I just wanted to check. Also since I will be starting off with an FMU, I need to retard my timing...about how many degrees should it be retarded per PSI?? Also this will be done by turning the distributor back. I've seen a couple people who just SMASH their distributor towards the firewall to retard it but I'm not apt to that. Anyway other than a timing light to tell how many degrees back I've gone once I know how many degrees to retard it?

Modified by bart2546 at 6:59 PM 2/2/2007
Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Fuel Questions and Some Timing Q's (bart2546)

def upgrade the fuel pump to like a walbro 255 lph (90$ ebay) stock injectors will be fine.. i ran stock inj with a FMU at 16-18 psi on a smaller turbo and it was fine.. not recc but i did and it ran great. if ur only gonna run like 8 psi just manually retard the dist by like 4* maybe 5* and u will be fine , kinda a pain for norm driving but i ran like this for a year or so on my ls hatch turbo. if u MUST use JB weld then make sure u at least bolt some kind of flange to oil pan or thread in a fitting or something . cause ive tried just JB weld to hold a fitting in many times and its craked every time.. it will work as a sealer but not strong enough to hold a fitting in alone. and make sure the pan is sanded in that spot and 100% clean or it wont stick
Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Questions and Some Timing Q's (97grnrs)

Thanks for the information. It's greatly appreciated. Anyway...yea I do have a fitting that's threaded (and I'll probably thread the pan as well) and put a gasket around it. If I can I'll try to get my local welder to do it, the guy fixed my manifold no problems so I don't think it'll be a problem for him to do that as well. And I'm glad to see someone else say that an FMU is not a TERRIBLE thing. I understand that with a car that has a lot of electronics it's better to TUNE with electronics..but turbos have been around a long time and there have not been electronic management systems around for a long time so they can work just as well and I'd rather rely on something mechanical over something electronic. It makes it easier to pinpoint a problem rather than "OMG it's not running right...is it normal or is it the ECU, the chipping, the wiring" so on and so forth. Thanks again and any other info is appreciated as well.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont buy a ebay walbro. Theyre 90 bucks anywhere else, why bother with ebay.

Walboro pump and 440cc injectors will run you all of 250 bucks. And probably save your bacon.

Even if I was boosting 4-5 psi, i would not use stock pump and injectors.