Notices

Fuel pressure question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure question?

Guys,
I got this REVHARD stage 2 kit on my 00 si, i installed a B&M fuel guage a couple weeks ago, i noticed that when the car is on idle im like around 52psi i triedto use the throttle cable to see if the fuel pressure goes up or down but it still stays at around 52psi, could anyone tell me what is going on. For fuel management, i only have the FMU 12:1 disk, and high pressure fuel pump dont know what brand both came with the kit. Please help me out.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (MRSI00)

what exactly is your question?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have an adjustable FPR along with that 12:1 FMU? 52PSI of static fuel pressure seems a bit high to me. Most likely it should be in the neighborhood for 43psi.

HTH

~Steven
Old 12-24-2002, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (Speed PHreak)

It's your high pressure fuel pump that raised your static fuel pressure..
To lower your fuel pressure you will need to either get a aem fpr or drill your stock fpr ...
Old 12-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b&m also makes an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for alot cheaper than the aem, you just have to cut the top off your stock one and put the new part in place. make sure to buy a new o -ring .its a very easy install
Old 12-30-2002, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (93civicd16)

b&m also makes an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for alot cheaper than the aem, you just have to cut the top off your stock one and put the new part in place. make sure to buy a new o -ring .its a very easy install
The B&M fpr that you speak of is just a fuel pressure riser.It will NOT lower your static fuel pressure.The reason why your fuel pressure goes up with the high pressure fuel pump is because the stock fpr cannot flow enough fuel The output of the fpr is the restriction.So by using the B&M fpr and reusing the stock bottom (output return) you run into the same probelm.Fuel restriction = raised fuel pressure.I used to have a b&M fpr on my civic before i went turbo, trust me it won't lower your fuel pressure.I even tried it with my high pressure pump and had the same problem as with the stock...thus having to drill it out...
Old 12-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (b16ahybrid)

The B&M fpr that you speak of is just a fuel pressure riser.It will NOT lower your static fuel pressure.The reason why your fuel pressure goes up with the high pressure fuel pump is because the stock fpr cannot flow enough fuel The output of the fpr is the restriction.So by using the B&M fpr and reusing the stock bottom (output return) you run into the same probelm.Fuel restriction = raised fuel pressure.I used to have a b&M fpr on my civic before i went turbo, trust me it won't lower your fuel pressure.I even tried it with my high pressure pump and had the same problem as with the stock...thus having to drill it out...
What he said =

Sonny
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (Sonny)

For those that have the Walbro 255 lph "high pressure" fuel pump, using larger injectors, and an adjustable FPR.

I seem to be getting rapid deceleration when I get off the throttle slightly. It's almost like the fuel is getting backed up by the "middle" orifice I am using with my AEM fpr. In addition, I have been getting a CEL 45(too rich, too lean).
I am convinced that the fuel is not passing freely enough, but I have my idle fuel pressure around 35psi(which I believe is quite low). I am hesitant to install the "large" orifice, which will lower my idle fuel pressure more.

My question: If I install the largest orifice and set the "fine" adjustment at the top of the FPR so it raises the fuel pressure as much as possible, will this help me eliminate the rapid deceleration that I am talking about and eliminate the CEL code but also allow me to go into boost safely?

[Modified by maxim, 3:12 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (maxim)

Ummm... tell you what... Instead of messing with the oriface just yet and since you're getting the cel and not really sure what your A/F ratio is what if you try this first. Try raising your FP to about 40. If it as setting a CEL because of too lean, this will clear this up. If it was setting a CEL because of too rich it'll still set a CEL, but you won't risk running it leaner with the bigger oriface. BTW, I don't care what anyone sais, if you run the bigger oriface if you don't need it your ramp up rate for FP under boost will be slower then it would have been with the smaller oriface on the AEM. (This is what I've seen on my car.)

Try that first. You don't have to get dirty at all to change the FP. If it works, you saved yourself the hassle of taking the regulator off... etc. you get the point.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (JRSCCivic98)

BTW, I don't care what anyone sais, if you run the bigger oriface if you don't need it your ramp up rate for FP under boost will be slower then it would have been with the smaller oriface on the AEM. (This is what I've seen on my car.)
Please explain your reasoning behind your hypothesis.Because the output oriface on the fpr has no effect on the rising rate of the fmu.The returning fuel is restricted after the fpr.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (b16ahybrid)

Oh, I'm sorry... I should have clarified... Yes, if you have an FMU after the regulator this wouldn't matter. However, if you don't and are running an Apexi PowerFC with 440's and just the AEM, you'd see this problem. The AEM is still a 1:1 RRR so it brings up pressure when in boost. It's this rising rate that's affected by the oriface on the FPR.

Sorry to confuse people out there... Good catch...
Old 01-14-2003, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure question? (JRSCCivic98)

Well, I had it at 40psi before I changed the smallest orifice out for the middle one. The idle pressure was 40psi, which is about right for my car. I may try it out with the medium orifice to see if it will make a difference, but I don't think it will.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:23 PM

Where you guys buy the middle orifice from?
Old 01-15-2003, 03:48 AM

It, along with 2 others, comes with the AEM FPR..3 total.