Notices

Fluttering sound and boost issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluttering sound and boost issue.

I installed my kit last week and have been trying to get it all running right but I have a slight boost issue.

I'm running a Tial 50mm BOV and their 38mm WG (0.5 bar spring) and it blows off fine and when I seem to have a load on the motor (downshift with foot in it) it holds boost and has no flutter sound.

The problem is when I have it in a higher gear and I go to give it gas and it starts to build boost slowly I hear a flutter sound and my boost guage seems to go nuts. It affects my drivability and I am not sure as to what it may be. It doesn't sound like compressor surge.

Oh. My wastegate line is semi long. would this have something to do with it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluttering sound and boost issue. (JShull)

i think what u might be getting is detonation, like the car is leaning out, did u get this car tuned? if not i wouldnt be doing WOT ...
just some 2 cents
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Even with detonation the car would build and hold boost all the time. The boost is fluctuating and I hear a fluttering that sounds like it is coming from the turbo/wastegate (doesn't have the shrill sound of surge though)
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JShull)

i'm guessing ur bov is adjusted properly? i've seen at high boost levels with a bov thats set to soft will start to open and flutter under load. then again it could be the wastegate aswell. is all ur vacuum lines hooked up properly? gaskets on the wastegate sealing properly? wish i could help more but these are just some thoughts of what to check over.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM

I've done a little more research and moved the BOV to its own vacuum source and it seems to have helped a little.

The sound is like that of a rattlesnake and boost is shaky and if I let of the BOV still works fine.

Once again thanks for the help.

Edit: I think the noise and such is something normal and the way it feels too me is just lag. Sorry for bothering. First turbo car.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check the blow-off valve first. The Tial models have a pre-load you can adjust on top where the banjo fitting bolts up. Also you need to check what kind of spring is in your blow-off valve. Tial offers the 50 mm with several different spring rates depending on what kind of boost levels you are at. My friends WRX would flutter at low boost levels when accelerating softly like in traffic situations. I don't think detonation would be causing this issue. What turbo kit are you running? Found out (if you bought it brand new) if they sent you the right blow-off valve. Having the all of your vacuum/boost dependent items in your car running off of their own separate sources is key. I have seen way to many cars that tee off of one nipple on the intake manifold that caused a lot of issues. That's just my experience with this issue.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 AM

I pieced the kit together over a span of time.I'm only boosting to 7psi. I was under the impression tials were unadjustable and the only way to "adjust" them was to change the springs on the inside?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They can be adjusted a little bit. But not a lot. If your only at 7 PSI then it makes sense to me that you have the wrong spring in there. Carefully take it apart and I think they are colored coded as well as WG spring, then call up Tial and find out what level of boost it is rated for.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think tials can be adjusted
Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Only way I know is to change the springs but for the amount of vacuum the engine pulls the spring should be just fine.