Notices

fixed timming issue, still have low compression...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed timming issue, still have low compression...

zero miles still, I just ran at idle for about 20 min total. runs very rich... last time I posted my timming was off and also had a TB gasket leak. now thats all fixed but my compeession is still about 100psi across.

runs real smooth and quiet... except I'm running open down pipe so thats loud. I'm using a hondata tune from my last engine which had a stroker kit but same injectors (780cc's), so it should be a bit richer on this engine with 300cc less displacement.

my tuner said I should not run open DP because it throws my tune off, so I'll install the exhaust next, but I need to find out why my compression is low??

any idea's??

could the cylinders be washed? my plugs are black afer a few minutes of idle...

if I can lean the fuel and get the exhaust on... could I try putting some oil in the cyl, crank over a few times then try to run it more lean?

will my rings still seat?

oh and so we're all on the same page:
B16 Benson block, CP's 84mm, fully built head, GSR cams (0 deg), S100, JG intake, SC44E turbo, Neukin mani, etc...

I just got the M250 wideband I will install this weekend, that should help out in this situation
Old 04-03-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: fixed timming issue, still have low compression... (turbosi03)

bump...
Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why in god's name did you take a brand new motor and idle it for 20 mins? Warm it up and drive that thing... You've done nothing to break the rings in... why do you expect the compression to be good? Get some full throttle passes on that thing before you trash your crosshatch and rings. Hurry up!

Matt
Old 04-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: fixed timming issue, still have low compression... (Johnyquest)

yeah man I can't drive yet because it's way too rich... I need to put the exhaust on so the tune is not so far off... then I'm thinking of turning the fuel reg down until it leans out enough. then maybe I can drive it if the wideband looks good... gonna try to put oil back on the cyl walls turning it over a few times.

anyone else agree with this plan? should I do this before a leak down? everyone agree that my walls are just washed from fuel, or at least the rings havent seated yet?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 AM

don't do a compression test on a brand new motor. to me, that's just dumb. If you so concerned, take the time to do a leakdown so you don't kill the hone job.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: fixed timming issue, still have low compression... (Stewie)

Please remember the motor has had no load. IMO, your rings still need to seat/seal.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dustin, sorry I didn't call you back. Had a little fun over the weekend, for once, and it was straight back to working non stop. Get the exhaust back on, maybe have Torin lean your fuel maps out a little and put some miles on that beast
Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

Please don't **** that motor, I'll feel bad for you.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fixed timming issue, still have low compression... (boostincoupe)

are you compression testing when its cold??
Old 04-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Those rings haven't seated yet, nor have you stated anything about the specs of the block to the head and piston/deck height. Break in the motor first before you do any compression tests like that ... you're attempt to prevent a bad situation may end up you causing it..
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new rings will not give you high compression numbers until they are seated. so go drive it semi hard to break it in.

I kept a log of my compression numbers. They steadily increased until there was about 750 miles on the motor.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: fixed timming issue, still have low compression... (Muckman)

ok ok, so I ran the motor two times for about 10 minutes and did a compression after each right after eng ran up to temp...

I have to A) order the kteller 3" exhaust, or B) get a 2.5" to 3" adaptor to temporarily hook up my old exhaust so I can break this thing in... anyone have one of those adaptors I can buy, or borrow from them?

my tuner said its ok to turn down the fuel reg. so I will do that after I get the exhaust on. with the wideband I wont be so worried to drive this thing... I wanted to do a fast break in on the dyno with my tuner, but I need to break the clutch in anyway...

Ox64: no prob... you party animal!

boostincoupe: this motor is not going to get the best of me, worst case I'll have to replace the rings and rehone. not even a big deal to me anymore, I'm getting this ******* thing running no matter what...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new rings will not give you high compression numbers until they are seated. so go drive it semi hard to break it in.

I kept a log of my compression numbers. They steadily increased until there was about 750 miles on the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you send me that data? and when you say semi hard your talking not in boost right?

Modified by turbosi03 at 1:57 PM 4/5/2005
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Dont boost on your first drive and see if you can put a couple miles on it before you compression test the ****..

Just dont hit boost and your lean/rich issue wont matter..