Notices

First turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First turbo build

Well I have a 89 crx with OBDO(soon converting to OBD1 with a raywire harness) b16 swap. I have the block pulled as I am rebuilding for turbo.... Now I have a few questions on turbo choice and whats best for my application. I want to go for a t3 super 60 with a .63 ar, but I heard these are better for D-series engines and the HP rating tops out at 300. But it spools very quickly but lacks top end. I can get a complete Turbonetics kit for 2 grand, then sell off the BOV/waste gate it comes with and upgrade to Tial or HKS. The manifold it comes with is good and I would have to make my own down pipe.

Now another one people have told me about is a SC61(6152E to be exact) but I really can't seem to find to much on these? Maybe my crappy search skills, but who knows. But from what I hear the SC61 will hit my power goals, but spool time will be slower compared to the Super 60. So any help or experiences(even suggest another turbo if you want) would be great.

Power Goal 350ish(I am trying to keep it streetable and usable DD)
Keep in mind the block is all open so throw in some suggestions as what you think I should do, this is my first build as well and I am trying to do it right! Thanks.

EDIT: I will be looking for some low comp rods/pistons but I heard on a good tune the b16 can handle 300-350 hp(granted who knows how long it will hold) but I am just making sure and trying to spend money in the right places.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First turbo build

It's been a few days, so either I need to put more info, or I don't know, but.... BUMP
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 60 trim t3 would be a perfect street turbo, quick response and decent torque

Heres the compressor map

You could make an easy 300, maybe 325 at most.

But you have to look at more than peak numbers, that turbo would give you a broad, smooth power band, which is what a b16 desperately needs.

For what it's worth I was planning my first build around a tubular mini ram/log Mani and a 60 trim t3 off an svo mustang, which is what you're looking for, they go pretty cheap on eBay in good shape. I also have some extras like a polished compressor housing for that turbo if you're interested.

I was aiming for around the same power as you with an emphasis on broad power band
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
The 60 trim t3 would be a perfect street turbo, quick response and decent torque

Heres the compressor map

You could make an easy 300, maybe 325 at most.

But you have to look at more than peak numbers, that turbo would give you a broad, smooth power band, which is what a b16 desperately needs.

For what it's worth I was planning my first build around a tubular mini ram/log Mani and a 60 trim t3 off an svo mustang, which is what you're looking for, they go pretty cheap on eBay in good shape. I also have some extras like a polished compressor housing for that turbo if you're interested.

I was aiming for around the same power as you with an emphasis on broad power band

What about 45 trim? 50mm wheel in combination with a f1-49 turbine wheel at .48 a/r ?I somehow like this turbo
Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you to both of you, I do like the 60 trim's map, and torque isn't my main concern, I don't feel like more wheelspin lol, I already have traction issues as is. I am still doing research and if I do find that the super 60 truley fits my needs best I will hit you up for that housing, I am on here more then it looks, I just lurk more, as some of the Honda heads here scare me and I feel I am going to be flamed one day. lol
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

what I posted was a straight t3 map, you posted a t4 map which would make him have to find all of the pats to convert it from a straight t3 to a t3/t04e

The straight to is a better choice
Old 12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Trial User

I have been looking into this turbo as well, I know old post, sorry. I also am pretty newbish to the turbo game. Question is how this would uphold on a C32A motor. Acura Legend 91. Thanks much, new to the Honda page but been on Acuralegend.org for quite some time. Thinking of jumping to the dark side (turbo) with my lack of aftermarket support KA8 lol.

also, motoris fresh rebuild, top notch and less than 2k miles on it. looking to do low boost 5-10 PSI

Last edited by AcuraLegendKA8; 12-15-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

straight t3 anything, especially in a single turbo configuration, is too small for a 3.2l v6. especially with the volumetric efficiency of honda's vtec v6 motors.

make a new thread to ask general questions. just be forewarned that we don't spoonfeed here. We will point you in the right direction but research and parts selection is entirely on you. Once you think you have the parts selected give us a list then we can tell you if things have been properly selected.

I suggest you read the FAQs stickied at the top of this forum thoroughly and at least twice. Most of the answers you need are in there. Other than that we would be happy to help you.

Welcome to the site