Notices

FI newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI newbie questions

Hoping to get some questions answered.

My current project is a B18C swapped 96 Civic coupe. Power goals are 250-300 Whp on stock internals (will be doing a rebuild on the motor prior to turbo). Will be using a cometic head gasket, ARP head bolts & block guard.

Will likely also upgrade the Greddy downpipe for a custom 2.5" due to its poor flow characteristics.

Recently picked up a used Greddy TD05-18G kit w/ JDM sport intercooler/pipes & knock off HKS BOV.

What is the stock wastegate actuator set to?
I've heard 7-8psi and 11psi. Can't seem to get a confirmed answer.

If the wastegate spring is upgradeable, any suggestions on where to get an OEM replacement?

There's a nipple on the upper cold side which is installed right after the BOV, is this where the line from wastegate of turbo goes to?

If I wanted to increase the boost pressure (looking to run 9-10psi), I should be able to put a MBC in between the wastegate and nipple on upper cold side pipe and control the amount of boost, correct?

Any solid advice is greatly appreciated.

Thx.
Attached Images     
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FI newbie questions

Originally Posted by laopadak303
Hoping to get some questions answered.

My current project is a B18C swapped 96 Civic coupe. Power goals are 250-300 Whp on stock internals (will be doing a rebuild on the motor prior to turbo). Will be using a cometic head gasket, ARP head bolts & block guard.

You can Use a OEM honda head gasket, no need for a block guard the sleeves will hold it with a proper tune.

Will likely also upgrade the Greddy downpipe for a custom 2.5" due to its poor flow characteristics.

Recently picked up a used Greddy TD05-18G kit w/ JDM sport intercooler/pipes & knock off HKS BOV.

What is the stock wastegate actuator set to?
I've heard 7-8psi and 11psi. Can't seem to get a confirmed answer.

If the wastegate spring is upgradeable, any suggestions on where to get an OEM replacement?
That wastegate is a common wastegate style, you can find a replacement gate at atpturbo.com

There's a nipple on the upper cold side which is installed right after the BOV, is this where the line from wastegate of turbo goes to?

Most likely yes this can be used for a reference for your wastegate

If I wanted to increase the boost pressure (looking to run 9-10psi), I should be able to put a MBC in between the wastegate and nipple on upper cold side pipe and control the amount of boost, correct?
You can put in a MBC inline from the feed to the wastegate and that will control your boost.

Any solid advice is greatly appreciated.

Thx.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FI newbie questions

Thx Hondaruss, also found a few more useful links/reads on MBC's, the 18G etc so I think my questions are answered.