Notices

extra breather on valve cover... location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra breather on valve cover... location?

after spending countless hours researching how to plumb the new pcv system on my turbo d-series civic, i've decided to go with vented black box, (will soon either get a vacuum pump or use exhaust vacuum), but that i also want to relieve more pressure in the valve cover by drilling and tapping another breather filter. are there any high-pressure areas of the valve cover that i should tap at (maybe opposite the existing breather, on the back right, so it is being vented equally on both sides?) and i know i probably want to get it as high up on the valve cover as possible to avoid getting oil spewing out of it. what size fitting do you guys think would be the best size to use? i've got a 1/4" laying around and a breather that would fit it, do i need to plumb the fitting in a special way to avoid getting oil sucked through it?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: extra breather on valve cover... location? (wdwalker)

bump, i'm sure somebody has done this...
Old 04-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-09-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cover is so open that any point you measure is going to be roughly similar in pressure. Just pick a spot that works with where you want to route the lines and go with it
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: extra breather on valve cover... location? (raene)

my biggest concern is picking a point that isnt gonna suck all my oil out of the cover. if u notice, on the inside of the valve cover it has kind of a mini-baffeling that prevents oil from going straight into the breather, it has to go from the side to get into it. should i weld up a setup similar to this, in order to prevent it getting sucked out? i wanna put vacuum on it to get rid of all my windage losses, but would the exhaust suck out all my oil seals? i am turboed, and my exhaust is flowing at a much higher velocity than back when i was non-aspirated.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what you need to do is pull the cover off and look to see where the baffling (sp?) is at and make sure you put it behind it that way oil doesnt get in it. Also you are not going to want to tap it...... you are going to need to get a -8 alum weld on fitting and take it to someone who can weld that on. then drill out the hole for it after it is welded. this works the best and also looks the best. here are some pics of mine:

and for all the smart ***' out there who are probably going to say something about my lines having a dip in them..... the catch can has been moved
Old 04-10-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wdwalker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my biggest concern is picking a point that isnt gonna suck all my oil out of the cover. if u notice, on the inside of the valve cover it has kind of a mini-baffeling that prevents oil from going straight into the breather, it has to go from the side to get into it. should i weld up a setup similar to this, in order to prevent it getting sucked out? i wanna put vacuum on it to get rid of all my windage losses, but would the exhaust suck out all my oil seals? i am turboed, and my exhaust is flowing at a much higher velocity than back when i was non-aspirated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Baffling is of course the best option but having to weld things on there is tough at best, for one thing the valvecover would have to be very carefully cleaned to get the oil off of it. TIG welding aluminum with oil vapours contaminating the weld is just brutal, my welder had a difficult enough time just getting a clean weld on the outside of my valvecover after I wiped it down inside + out, nevermind welding a baffle on the inside. If you have the time though, a baffle is definitely recommended! Otherwise you'll probably be draining the can very frequently.

As for the exhaust pulling too hard on the VC, I don't *think* it would be an issue as I can't see the bernoulli effect drawing more than a few inches of vacuum except at high flow rates, and at those rates is when the high draw is needed most because there will be an increasing pressure in the valvecover. I think optimally they would cancel each other out, but in reality it's more likely the valvecover would still become pressurized to some degree. I haven't connected a vacuum gauge to the exhaust so I shouldn't really comment, though.