Notices

Exhaust gas tempratures on an Autometer pyrometer....

Old 08-27-2002, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust gas tempratures on an Autometer pyrometer....

I am worried my Integra's EGTs are too high on the freeway when I'm just cruising around. I have the probe mounted in my downpipe aft of the turbo (per autometer's instructions) and my EGT's are around 1100-1200 degrees f. This seems really high to me. Under full boost it seems to go down a little, but freeway cruising seems very hot. This at about 3500-4300rpm.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2002, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust gas tempratures on an Autometer pyrometer.... (gigantor)

I don't believe that is too high. I have mine in the manifold and it reads about 1300-1350 at highway speeds....
Old 08-27-2002, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those numbers are fine and quite normal. The reason the temps drop under acceleration is because you are cooling down the chamber with fuel. Under long accelerations watch for your temps to rise. If under acceleration your temps rise too high, it can mean you are leaning out.

I think the best way to determine what the gauge is telling you is to go to a dyno and pull a few runs with a wide band and note what your egts were. This will give you a base for understanding the temps.

I can't say what egt is too high for you unless I know where you have the probe mounted. A rule of thumb is half the diameter of the port away from the head. That's real close but it's also the standard for temps. Most people i've seen mount if much further down stream and it gives them a false sense of security.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:13 AM

that's what i have and i have my probe mounted on the downpipe. i have those temps when i'm on the freeway. when i get off the freeway, my temps are 800-1000.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust gas tempratures on an Autometer pyrometer.... (filipinium)

Umm...if the probe is in the DP and you are just cruising (not in boost) yes, I think those numbers are too high. It all depends, though...what are they at when you have gone through a couple gears of boost? I peaked a little under 1500 after going WOT 1-3gears in 104º heat heh. I'm tapped on the third runner with an autometer probe and gauge.

If the probe is in the DP the reading should be atleast a few hundred degrees less, since alot of the heat energy has been transformed into mechanical energy by turning the turbine. Tell us what your egts are after going WOT through a couple gears.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust gas tempratures on an Autometer pyrometer.... (ion_four)

WOT through 3-4 and half of 5 is about 1150 to 1200....

Umm...if the probe is in the DP and you are just cruising (not in boost) yes, I think those numbers are too high. It all depends, though...what are they at when you have gone through a couple gears of boost? I peaked a little under 1500 after going WOT 1-3gears in 104º heat heh. I'm tapped on the third runner with an autometer probe and gauge.

If the probe is in the DP the reading should be atleast a few hundred degrees less, since alot of the heat energy has been transformed into mechanical energy by turning the turbine. Tell us what your egts are after going WOT through a couple gears.