Notices

Engine managment, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine managment, what should I do?

Ok, I have a problem. From what I'm being told, it will be almost impossible to use a chipped ECU with an automatic. My Prelude is an auto and I need help deciding what to do. I'm going to have to run some kind of piggy-back or an FMU and missing link.

Here is my set up:

Rebuilt stock H23A1
Stock Injectors 240cc
Garret/ AiResearch T3 (off Saab 900)
Tial 38mm Wastegate w/ 5psi spring
Cheap Intercooler off Ebay 2.5" inlets bar and plate
Stock fuel pump
Custom downpipe and manifold

Things I still have to get:

2.5" Piping kit
Knockoff HKS SSQV BOV
Oil feed and return kit

I'm on a budget so I'm going as cheap as possible. So I need to know what I should do. I bought a P06 ECU but I guess I'm not going to be able to use it. From what I hear, Greddy Blue Boxes suck. This is my daily driver. I would like to convert my car to a standard but I don't have the money for it. I'd also like to not blow my engine but I'm guessing I will do just that with an FMU. Can anyone help me out?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Engine managment, what should I do? (genocide43110)

the FMU isn't that bad. That's what all the domestic guys used before computers could do something.

Doesn't sound like you want a lot of power since your stuck with an auto anyway so keep 6lbs and use an FMU. You won't blow up if you do it correctly and don't get boost happy. Use the highest octane and maybe retard the dizzy a bit for extra safety. It's good that you want to use good managment, but for your goals and budget an FMU fits and they aren't the devil's child
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine managment, what should I do? (adseguy)

Yea, I was only planning on running at about 5 psi. From what I read some where else, after 3 psi you should retard the timming about .25 degrees every additional 3 psi. I guess I can sell the P06 for some where around $50-60 and then use that for an FMU and missing link. I just need to find a way to test it. I was really hoping to run crome but that's not an option anymore so I guess the FMU is the way to go. I'm pretty sure as long as I don't get on it too much I should be ok. I just bought boost, water temp, and oil temp gauges. I also have an Autometer A/F ratio gauge. I know it probably won't do too much but it will give me a little insight into what is going on. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I also wanted to ask, should I run a 12:1 ratio FMU?

Modified by genocide43110 at 7:15 PM 1/8/2007
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Engine managment, what should I do? (genocide43110)

The AF gauge won't tell you ****, not even remotlely. It's like controlling shower temperature with an on/off switch.

It's not a question of getting "on it" too much or not. If you arn't runing right the motor will blow and VERY fast at that. If it's runing right (even with an FMU) then your car is fine, you'll just be using it a bit more. Only 10% of wear and tear to internals is due to power <---- this is from Maximum Boost.

Have fun then.

Edit: Yeah run a 12:1