Notices

engine heating up while driving??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine heating up while driving??????

I have a 92 eg with a d16z6 and a greddy turbo kit with the greddy fmic kit.

I,ve been having some problems lately since the weather here in Indiana has started to get warmer and I just dont really have any ideas as far as whats wrong.

I noticed that after about 20 minutes of driving on the freeway or just around town sometimes, my temp gauge starts to climb. Not to a dangerous level but just enough to notice hesitation and bogging on acceleration. It will climb up about 3/4 the way to hot and then if I dont turn on the heater it wont come back down. It runs absolutely flawless until it starts to heat up.
If I come to a stop and let the engine idle for a while the temp will come back down to normal and then a few minutes later of driving it starts it's climb to hot again.

I tried installing a 160 degree t-stat to see if the problem would go away but to no avail. It seems to help it but it doesnt stop the problem.
I know I dont have a blown headgasket or bad water pump, I just replaced both about 3 months ago and I know my radiator is clean.

What I was wondering though is if my radiator is big enough. Since my car has a FMIC could it be restricting airflow to my radiator enough to make my car heat up?
It doesnt really make any sense when I'm driving on the highway to heat up but I dont know. Could a larger radiator solve my problem? If so what radiator would you guys recommend.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse
Old 07-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine heating up while driving?????? (hondafrk)

Thermostat
Radiator cap
Water pump
Redline Water wetter

I say replace the thermostat and radiator cap (you already did the thermostat).
Then replace the water pump (what a bitch)
In the mean time..some redline water wetter will take your temps down about 20 degrees or so.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:18 PM
New User

Default Re: engine heating up while driving?????? (hondafrk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondafrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesnt really make any sense when I'm driving on the highway to heat up but I dont know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cruising the freeway in 5th gear is the easiest way to build up heat because of the load on your engine. more drag... taller gear = harder on the engine = heat.
ive noticed a big difference 100-200 deg F ... in EGT's from cruising in 5th gear at 80 mph and 70mph.

a friend of mine has the same exact problem as you. "exact"
turbo d16y8 greddy kit
He has done radiator flushes. thermostat etc to no avail.

one thing that helped him was he wired a toggle to his radiator fan and has it on all the time. now it rarely overheats.

hth
Old 07-25-2003, 10:42 PM

get a thin fan from pep boys, work wonders for mine since it spins alot quicker and cools faster and better then my stock fan. 72 bucks and more room looks great. if your looking for radiators i think you can use the Delso vtec radiators i heard there actually thicker, but if you got money fluidyne works great and looks great $$$.$$

Old 07-25-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Re: (spooned out)

you have an airpocket in your cooling system...pop off the return on the radiator hose when its cool and start that car and push out some coolent for about 2 to 5 seconds then turn it off and put it back in... and start the car.. keep the car on while you pour coolant/water till its filled and keep the top off...watch and see if your temp goes up