Notices

engine build question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine build question

hi i have a b16a2 engine. im just about to rebuild for turbo. Im aiming for about 250-300bhp my questions are how much power can the crankshaft handle safely?
also i gonna re-sleeve for peace on mind but wot is a good diameter to go for?
also not sure about the pistons reguards do i get high compreesion mediums or low and does the diameter have to match the sleeves or are they slightly smaller?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: engine build question

There are tons and tons of 400whp stock internal boosted b16's. The have, imo, the perfect stroke.
Do some reading and pull up old threads thru the search.
You dont need to do much internal for it to handle boost.
The most I would do with your power goal, which is really nothing, do arp rod bolts, arp headstuds, and get a really good tune. Not much else needed.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for ur help. cheers
Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol sleeves for 250.. if you want a truly safe 300 hp, rods and pistons do you need them no, are they good insurance yes
Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davidjames1983
hi i have a b16a2 engine. im just about to rebuild for turbo. Im aiming for about 250-300bhp my questions are how much power can the crankshaft handle safely?
also i gonna re-sleeve for peace on mind but wot is a good diameter to go for?
also not sure about the pistons reguards do i get high compreesion mediums or low and does the diameter have to match the sleeves or are they slightly smaller?
It all depends on how long you really want to own that particular motor. You can get away with running decent boost and making the figures your looking for, but for how long? Generally lowering the compression for boost is a good idea depending on the BAR/Boost levels your looking at. I say take the time to build your motor properly w/ pistons, rings, sleeves and building your head to match and not just slapping something together just to make it fast "now." JMO.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGyoke
It all depends on how long you really want to own that particular motor. You can get away with running decent boost and making the figures your looking for, but for how long? Generally lowering the compression for boost is a good idea depending on the BAR/Boost levels your looking at. I say take the time to build your motor properly w/ pistons, rings, sleeves and building your head to match and not just slapping something together just to make it fast "now." JMO.
No reason on a 10.4:1 compression motor to change out pistons. Plenty of competant tuners out there that make em last a long long time. Generally you do a compression test to see if its a stout motor to start with. Put the kit on, install wideband. Spend good money getting tuned.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes my motor is shot! valve seal have gone. Know this because put a mini camera down cylinder and saw it oozing down. This is why i want to do a realiable and safe build dont wanna be coming back to it and taking it apart again 6 months down the line.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davidjames1983
yes my motor is shot! valve seal have gone. Know this because put a mini camera down cylinder and saw it oozing down. This is why i want to do a realiable and safe build dont wanna be coming back to it and taking it apart again 6 months down the line.
In this case, if your power goal is 250 - 300 whp I WOULD:

Send the head to a good machine shop for a valve job, new seals and guides and a very light mill job ( just to ensure flatness)

Pull the block apart, get new oem rings and bearings, inspect rods/ pistons to make sure they're good, do a factory rebuild on bottom end but add ARP rod bolts, and have machine shop hone cylinders and file fit rings, make them a bit looser than factory specs.

Use ARP head studs and oem head gasket.

Now you have a motor more than capable of handling 300 whp daily.

The key to making it last, is a Good tune by a professional after it is boosted.