Notices

turbo B18a1 engine build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo B18a1 engine build

Hi guys im just looking for some info on what you all have done to build the internals on a budget. ill have about a 1000 to put into the lower end. keep in mind right now im on a completely stock block internally so I already know ill need arp head bolts and a fresh set of gaskets all through the engine. what pistons are you running? forged rods or stock? any info will be helpfull. keep in mind it is on a budget. motor will be boosted and psi will be based on how strong the motor will be after build (from 12-15psi)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Boost and budget dont mix

Sorry bud
Ill let the regulars get their rocks off flaming you now.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo B18a1 engine build

It sounds like you have $1000 just for the engine. Is that correct, or do you want to build and boost on that grand?

If that $1000 is just for the motor, that's easily doable. A good set of Supertech pistons, Eagle rods, ARP head studs, OEM or Cometic gaskets, and the necessary machine work should come in right around a grand when all's said and done, if you're willing to do the assembly yourself.

If you want to build and boost for a grand...sorry, no. Not gonna happen.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats right i already have everything for boost. just need to build now.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM

Yep, so some Supertech pistons, Eagle rods, ACL or OEM main and rod bearings (you'll need to spec them out, or have a machine shop do it for you), ARP head studs, and OEM or Cometic gaskets, and you'll be good to go. It would also be a good idea to replace the oil and water pumps while you have it apart. Shop around for your parts, though! Don't just go with the first vendor you find that has everything. Get part numbers. Search around. Get the best price.

You'll also need a machine shop to hone the block. While you're doing that, having them spec your bearing sizes would be a good idea. If money allows, I would recommend having it hydrosonically cleaned as well.

You'll need to do all of the assembly yourself, but if you have an eye for detail and don't mind learning, it's not too hard to do. You can check my build thread - I did it in my apartment bedroom, and have a complete how-to for the entire process on a B18B1, which is essentially the same as your motor as far as torque specs go.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could be a cheap *** like me and just do Nippon Pistons and arp rod bolts lol. No seriously if you have the funds do a forged rotating assembly now. I'm kicking myself for not doing it when I built mine.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
You could be a cheap *** like me and just do Nippon Pistons and arp rod bolts lol. No seriously if you have the funds do a forged rotating assembly now. I'm kicking myself for not doing it when I built mine.
LOL x2
Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
HP Goals and usage dictate that. I knowingly chose nippons for my turbo build. No baby daily... Super happy with the results over a year later
Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i plan to make it a street/strip daily but build it to have 350-400 hp. this is my first build though and would rather do it all one time
Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also use nippon pistons. Not boosted, but extremely happy with the results.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Then get the forged pistons and rods and don't look back.

Yes, HP goals are important, but only ONE aspect of an entire build. What IS most important is your ability to organize. Get the steps down on paper or a word processing file or even on a cocktail napkin. SO many people start off with research, but then don't know that the order of how things are performed are just as important as the parts you research and select for use. that way, you don't worry about whether or not the parts will fit together for your needs, and you're not constantly rebuying or reselling items.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM

I have a decent pre-formatted spreadsheet in my build thread, if you'd like to use that for the organization Shodan is mentioning.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What IS most important is your ability to organize. Get the steps down on paper or a word processing file or even on a cocktail napkin. SO many people start off with research, but then don't know that the order of how things are performed are just as important as the parts you research and select for use. that way, you don't worry about whether or not the parts will fit together for your needs, and you're not constantly rebuying or reselling items.
Attention to detail in this area is important for sure. Second this!

Another thing I like to do is mentally run through the build a few times, visualizing each step. I don't build motors weekly or monthly, like most people.

It certainly helps to have your toolset memorized, or itemized along with your build sheet/parts list. For the first time builder, you'll find a few tools you may want, either for convenience on a step, or requirement.

Most first timers forget the added expense of tools. Tools cost decent dough.