Notices

electronic boost control referenced to tps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic boost control referenced to tps?

Today while I was doing something wholely unrelated to autos, or turbo hondas, I had the thought of a table of boost vs throttle position, to lessen the on/off switch effect of a large turbo, and make it more controllable with your foot.
In other words, the ecu or whatever electronic controller would open the gate to reflect the boost level desired at that throttle position, instead of the turbo trying to spool up to the wastegate setting against a partially open throttle plate. With a larger turbo and high boost setting, I think it would be much better to control the boost this way. If you wanted 10lbs when your max boost setting is 30, this would allow you to get those 10 lbs without the closed gate trying to create 30. Basically if the system was set up correctly, the charge piping would never have more boost pressure in it than the intake manifold, regardless of throttle position. The throttle position would just be an indicator of desired boost to the controller, not a mechanical restriction to flow. The only time there would be a pressure differential across the throttle plate would be when the desired pressure in the intake manifold was less than atmospheric. (please don't post if you don't understand how that could be possible..)

What do you guys think, is idea worth pursuing? Is it possible with any existing software/equipment?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electronic boost control referenced to tps? (rorik)

Uh, no offense, but I don't need a boost controller for my right foot to control how much boost I make.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still think it would be advantageous to set it up this way. I wonder if oems do this with turbos and drive by wire.
Under atmospheric desired in the intake manifold, wastegate closed, throttle controlled by the ecu, over atmospheric desired by your foot, throttle opened fully (not necessary, but for sake of simplicity) and wastegate controlled by ecu.

Modified by rorik at 6:48 PM 7/29/2008
Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

some of the dodge ram diesels use a electronically controlled wastegate, if thats what your getting at.

maybe you could use the electronic reference to interphase with the TPS
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: New York in the summer, South Carolina in the winter
Default Re: (tony413)

I believe the new 2.0 FSI VW turbo's have a feature like this- pretty much the ECU controls everything possible