Notices

EGT probe placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT probe placement

Hey...Ive asked all my friends this and gotten different answers all the time. Where should I mount the probe for the EGT gauge? I have seen it on the downpipe, but heard that it is ideal to mount it on the exhaust manifold.

Wont mounting the probe on the exhaust manifold make it prone to crack?

Any imput is greatly appreciated, Im waiting as we speak to finish my install...

b18eg6
Old 08-03-2002, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe placement (B18EG6)

what's your manifold made out of? or what kit do you have?
Old 08-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe placement (CDooMe2)

Drag manifold
Old 08-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EGT probe placement (B18EG6)

It is really your own preference where you choose to mount the probe. For more accurate readings it is ideal to install it on the turbo manifold. With the probe here, you are supposed to get more accurate readings. The only downfall of this is it can make your manifold weaker (i dont think this factor will really enduce cracking though) and one thing that scared me is if the probe were to ever break, well the turbo would eat up the probe and then you'd have to buy a new turbo. I chose to install mine after the downpipe flange because i didnt want to take the $1250 dollar risk of having a probe break and ruin my turbo... here is a picture of the old set up, i got readings this way of about 810ish deg on full throttle from what i remember, give or take a few degrees.

[Modified by GudeH23a, 2:54 AM 8/4/2002]
Old 08-03-2002, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe placement (GudeH23a)

if you have drag mani, just drill and tap. the cast iron mani is very strong and will not crack. put the probe on #3 runner about 1-2 inches from the head. here's mine

Old 08-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe placement (rice4life)

if you have drag mani, just drill and tap. the cast iron mani is very strong and will not crack. put the probe on #3 runner about 1-2 inches from the head. here's mine

what did you coat your manifold with?

Rob
Old 08-04-2002, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe placement (rjardy)

ok...well, Im not going to run insane amounts of boost. Maybe in the long run, around....14-15 psi at most. How much more unaccurate will it be if placed on the downpipe compared to the runners? When coupled with an A/F meter, will I be a tad bit more accurate? keep in mind i dont have the wideband A/F meter, only the autometer one...So lemme know what u think, i REALLLLLLLLY APPRECIATE all your time and especially the high resolution pictures. Thanks guys, you always know how to help me.

b18eg6
Old 08-04-2002, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE]It is really your own preference where you choose to mount the probe. For more accurate readings it is ideal to install it on the turbo manifold. With the probe here, you are supposed to get more accurate readings. The only downfall of this is it can make your manifold weaker (i dont think this factor will really enduce cracking though) and one thing that scared me is if the probe were to ever break, well the turbo would eat up the probe and then you'd have to buy a new turbo. I chose to install mine after the downpipe flange because i didnt want to take the $1250 dollar risk of having a probe break and ruin my turbo... here is a picture of the old set up, i got readings this way of about 810ish deg on full throttle from what i remember, give or take a few degrees.

QUOTE]

good point
Old 08-04-2002, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what did you coat your manifold with?

Rob
i used VHT 1500 F flame proof paint, it's been over 3k miles since i paint it and it looks the same. i use Dupli-Color 1200 F before and it burned of in one day.

[Modified by rice4life, 8:08 AM 8/4/2002]
Old 08-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did you get the paint from?
Old 08-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got it from a local hot rod store. i think summit racing have them too.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:59 AM

i took my manifold to a shop to get my egt probe put in and it came out very clean. the only questions is that they put it on the 3rd exhuast runner not the 3rd cylinder. it there gonna be a problem?
Old 08-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice and clean
Old 08-05-2002, 02:58 PM
filetofit

Default Re: EGT probe placement (FredoSP)

It would be better to put it in the bottom surface of runner number three, two inches to the side of the head exhaust port. The stress in the material is advantageous to crack formation in the top surface. Runner three is the hottest and off to the side a little so you don't get any flame hitting your sensor.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe placement (filetofit)

out of curiosity, why are you suposed to put it on #3 runner? woulldnt it make more sense to get a cumulative number by putting it at the collector? if it was on #3 you would only really be getting reading off of that cylinder, and if you detonate in the number 1 cylinder there would be no way to tell, and yes before people flame me, you can lean out in one cylinder and not the rest.

Rob
Old 08-06-2002, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the instructions that came with my VDO gauge it said to tap into the header one half the diameter of the port away from the port. I think if you place it any further away you can get lulled into a false sense of comfort because it will read cooler.

It worked for me. I also don't think that it is important what runner you probe. If you have problems with your fuel system to the point that each cylinder needs to be monitored I fear for your motor.

Old 08-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

out of curiosity, why are you suposed to put it on #3 runner? woulldnt it make more sense to get a cumulative number by putting it at the collector? if it was on #3 you would only really be getting reading off of that cylinder, and if you detonate in the number 1 cylinder there would be no way to tell, and yes before people flame me, you can lean out in one cylinder and not the rest.

Rob
Hondas are known to run the leanest in that cylinder. A cumulative reading would not indicate leaning out as quick, as it's reading a mixture of all cylinders.

I have to tap mine in as well. My probe is long, I need to see if it's short enough to fit in a specific runner, otherwise it may have to be the downpipe.

Nobody mentioned tapping the turbo housing itsef, just for sake of argument, what are the downfalls of this?

Tapping all 4 runners would be ideal(although you would need a sufficient controller), like this:

Old 08-06-2002, 10:18 AM
Banned

Default Re: EGT probe placement (apexii)

Rob

Hondas are known to run the leanest in that cylinder. A cumulative reading would not indicate leaning out as quick, as it's reading a mixture of all cylinders.

I have to tap mine in as well. My probe is long, I need to see if it's short enough to fit in a specific runner, otherwise it may have to be the downpipe.

Nobody mentioned tapping the turbo housing itsef, just for sake of argument, what are the downfalls of this?

Tapping all 4 runners would be ideal(although you would need a sufficient controller), like this:

I saw that car at MIR the other week.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: EGT probe placement (On Point EK!!!!!!!!)

Here's where we put GSRgrrl's probe...

Old 08-06-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Re: EGT probe placement (apexii)

Rob

OMG! I can feel my ears bleeding already