Notices

egt or a/f guage as third guage...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egt or a/f guage as third guage...

What are the top three guages to run when boosting. I'm going to get boost, oil pressure, and I'm trying to decide between an egt and a wideband 02 a/f guage. I plan on tuning my car myself with a wideband 02, so I was just going to hook that up to an a/f guage....so for my application it would be easier to use the a/f guage all else being equal.

So my question is, what is better an egt or a wideband 02 a/f guage. And if you choose either an egt or a/f, what brand/model?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:48 PM

i have boost, egt, and air fuel, just autometer gauges
Old 11-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VtecAdil)

autometer a/f gauges are useless. you may as well throw your money out of the window.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Maxime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maxime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autometer a/f gauges are useless. you may as well throw your money out of the window.</TD></TR></TABLE>

buy a wideband once and be happy 4 life.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: (Maxime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maxime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autometer a/f gauges are useless. you may as well throw your money out of the window.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's saved my *** twice. It can tell you if you're running lean and something is wrong. I'm by no means trying to promote, but just saying it saved me from buying another motor.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:48 PM

Default wideband 02 a/f guage

It seems that people are missing the wideband 02 a/f guage and not just a regular a/f guage. Because I know that a narrowband a/f guage is useless, that's why I specifically said a wideband. So please debate the differences between a wideband a/f guage and an egt guage, because I'll be the first to admit that a narrowband a/f guage is crap.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (asianspeed)

Narrowbands are not useless...its a safety precaution, just as an EGT guage is (if youre tuning effectively, anyway, it wont be necessary to tune with). And its a hell of a lot cheaper.

Id get FP as the 3rd gauge, but if youre going to be running a WB anyway, may as well get the guage for it and run that as your 3rd.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (asianspeed)

Are you going to be tuning this on your own?
Old 11-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (sporkcrx)

Yes, I will be tuning it myself. I live on the Big Island in Hawaii, and there aren't any tuners here...I've never even heard of a shop with a dyno here. So all tuning will be done by myself with a tech edge wideband 02 with uberdata. That's the reason why I'm debating using getting a egt or just hooking up the wideband to the a/f and just using that.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (sporkcrx)

If you are thinking of getting an a/f guage that has lights...don't. Get one that has a digital read so you know exactly where you stand in tuning. As far as the EGT vs. A/F gauge debate, i have seen some topics floating around and have heard the debate. My opinion is either one is good. If you get the EGT you don't need to really get the A/F (although still very smart to have). if you get the a/f you don't really need the EGT (although somewhat still good to have).

In my view when tunning a car you can guesstimate iginition timing for any setup or at least run in conservative meaning you don't entirely need an EGT gauge. Although you will need a wideband put on your car to do any kind of boosting. Either at the dyno or by yourself, you NEED a wideband to tune .

I went with a plx m300 and a cheap autometer boost gauge. Tunned it myself with no problems. EGT gauge would be nice so I can see if my ignition is far off, but I'm fine without it!
Old 11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

curious but is there any difference between electrical/mechanical gauges ?! is one more accurate than the other ?!
Old 11-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously, just get the wideband now. Narrowband gauges are just for fun ;^)
Old 11-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D15B7turbo)

wideband o2... the narrowband o2's are worthless for boost.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In my view when tunning a car you can guesstimate iginition timing for any setup or at least run in conservative meaning you don't entirely need an EGT gauge. Although you will need a wideband put on your car to do any kind of boosting. Either at the dyno or by yourself, you NEED a wideband to tune .

I went with a plx m300 and a cheap autometer boost gauge. Tunned it myself with no problems. EGT gauge would be nice so I can see if my ignition is far off, but I'm fine without it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

this may sound stupid, but it kinda makes sense to me...for the most part, you can hear any detonation that might occur by running too much timing, but you wont necessarily hear your car running too lean (till it goes pop and smokes like a crackwhore). if i absolutely had to pick, i would get a wideband. if you are going for all out power and **** like that, id just wait a little while longer and get both. just my opinion
Old 11-26-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (adseguy)

Just to clarify, sorry I didn't state this sooner, but when I was speaking of the a/f guage, I was talking about the digital guages. And the guage will be getting a wideband signal as well.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (blackeg)

i think everyone is missing your point that you are definantely getting a wideband
Old 11-27-2004, 02:13 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think everyone is missing your point that you are definantely getting a wideband </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah exactly. he even stated that in his very first post. if i were to pick from the two, i'd just go with the wideband a/f gauge, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have both.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (AzntaggeR)

They are completely missing the point. they aren't reading the posts obviously because if they were they wouldnt be spouting honda-tech catch phrase #108 - "narrowband af guages are useless". My tuner uses neither (narrowband af or egt gauge) when he tunes my car, so if I had to choose between a $200 safety gauge or a $40 safety gauge, which would you pick?

But thats totally irrelevant to your question... get the WB gauge, its a nobrainer
Old 11-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband 02 a/f guage (newgsrdriver)

if you're looking for a 3rd round gauge get the EGT, and use the LD01 digital display for the techedge WBO2. That's what I have and it works awesome.