Notices

ECT at 205 idling with fans on after highway drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: ECT at 205 idling with fans on after highway drive

I think it's the pusher fan honestly, I did a pusher before and it made the temps worse. A puller with a fan shroud is going to be the best bet.

When you think about it especially on the freeway air would normally be forced into the radiator, however when you have a pusher fan it's blocking a lot of the free flowing air from hitting the radiator.

When I used to street drive my car, I had a Koyo half radiator, used water wetter and just distilled water, had a mishimoto fan shroud and a Maradyne 1700 CFM fan. I also drilled holes all the way around the outer edge of the thermostat to allow water to flow through it and had Hondata kick my fan on at 198 instead of the fan switch.

In 110 degree days stop and go I would get to about 201, 202ish but after about 30 seconds of the fan kicking on it would bring it back down to 198, 199. Freeway driving my car would operate around the 193 mark. Back then all I did was heat coat my parts never wrapped anything, no turbo blanket or anything like that.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:42 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah I know the pusher is part of the issue, it does block a lot of flow. However without redoing my entire setup to move my wastegate, a puller is just not feasible. It also ran at normal temps on a hot day with the bumper cover removed, so I am going to try anything I can to get enough air flow to keep it cool with the pusher fan.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I guess you have two options run with no bumper or reposition your gate.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 255 Likes on 223 Posts

I run a csf radiator with a spal pusher fan. No shroud. Straight honda blue coolant.

I can show you a 15 min log from my last event and the temps never get above 190

i havent looked through this thread much but is your sensor calibrated correctly? Have you tried to verify with a infared gun or any other way to confirm what youre seeing in the software is accurate?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pepe14
I run a csf radiator with a spal pusher fan. No shroud. Straight honda blue coolant.

I can show you a 15 min log from my last event and the temps never get above 190

i havent looked through this thread much but is your sensor calibrated correctly? Have you tried to verify with a infared gun or any other way to confirm what youre seeing in the software is accurate?
I do have a separate Autometer water temp gauge that pretty much concurs with what the ECU is reading. I’m not sure what source the gauge is using though, probably where the stock temp gauge sensor location is. It actually reads a few degrees higher than the ECU but it’s hard to read the needle with much precision.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I guess you have two options run with no bumper or reposition your gate.
Or funnel enough air to the rad that it’s the same amount of flow as when the bumper is off.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:03 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I just ordered the SPAL puller fan 30102029 from K series parts. For anyone who's interested, they have it for $117 right now which is about $40 cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

I am going to make it fit one way or another. I should be able to rotate my waste gate so the vacuum line is away from the rad, and maybe massage my radiator mounts forward some to get it in there. I am going to try to swap the fans without draining the coolant again, but if I have to I might just try running distilled water with water wetter this time also.

In addition I am thinking about venting the hood or using spacers on the hinges to try and reduce overall underhood temps. After a drive on a warm day I could fry bacon just about anywhere in the engine bay.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2x0
I just ordered the SPAL puller fan 30102029 from K series parts. For anyone who's interested, they have it for $117 right now which is about $40 cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

I am going to make it fit one way or another. I should be able to rotate my waste gate so the vacuum line is away from the rad, and maybe massage my radiator mounts forward some to get it in there. I am going to try to swap the fans without draining the coolant again, but if I have to I might just try running distilled water with water wetter this time also.

In addition I am thinking about venting the hood or using spacers on the hinges to try and reduce overall underhood temps. After a drive on a warm day I could fry bacon just about anywhere in the engine bay.
Why not get the 30102044 instead, i see it for the same price and it's a higher cfm, also Wats the website for K series parts? Soon as I can I'm gonna buy that spal fan too,
I think you shud run the water wetter also, im gonna run it with deionized water and see.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
Why not get the 30102044 instead, i see it for the same price and it's a higher cfm, also Wats the website for K series parts? Soon as I can I'm gonna buy that spal fan too,
I think you shud run the water wetter also, im gonna run it with deionized water and see.
30102044 is a 13" fan. I measured and it will not fit on my half rad.

I do run water wetter now with Honda blue coolant and some extra distilled water in the mix, probably around 60/40.

www.kseriesparts.com
Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
30102044 is a 13" fan. I measured and it will not fit on my half rad.

I do run water wetter now with Honda blue coolant and some extra distilled water in the mix, probably around 60/40.

www.kseriesparts.com
I thought the 13 inch could fit the half rads, almost sure I saw somebody post that they have a 13 on a half rad, cause it's a 13 inch I plan to buy for my half radiator
So have u seen any improvements since using the water wetter and Honda coolant??
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

13" Fan does fit it just hangs past the core maybe 1/2" on one side.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
That's what I thought too cause I measured mine, it jus depends on how u turn the fan.
So I can go ahead and get the 13inch for mine then cause the 13 has alot more cfm
Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Yeah I suppose it would "fit" but my 12" fits really nice and I will be running into other problems in the engine bay already trying to fit it as a puller. Plus the 12" does a great job cooling when sitting in traffic and at lower speeds, it never stays on for long and easily brings the temp back down to 185-190, so the extra CFM wouldn't really be necessary. As a puller I expect it will perform even better than a pusher.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Yeah I suppose it would "fit" but my 12" fits really nice and I will be running into other problems in the engine bay already trying to fit it as a puller. Plus the 12" does a great job cooling when sitting in traffic and at lower speeds, it never stays on for long and easily brings the temp back down to 185-190, so the extra CFM wouldn't really be necessary. As a puller I expect it will perform even better than a pusher.
Oh so u have gotten the spal and installed it already.
Well those Temps in traffic are very good
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I think I made a breakthrough today. After doing lots of research, guys who were tuning for MPG mentioned that they monitor EGT while cruising, and that adding timing can reduce it. If it’s too retarded, EGT can continue to climb while cruising.

Referencing the tables they had posted, I increased my timing in the cruise portion of my map about 1-2 degrees at 3k to 4k rpm. The result was my ECT stayed 5 to 7 degrees cooler on the way home from work today than it did on the drive there, even though ambient temp was about 10 degrees higher.

Now, there could be other factors at play here, so I’m not saying it’s definitive, but I’m going to mess with it some more. It seems that adding timing reduced heat significantly.

For reference, I watch my Hondata while driving and my actual timing while cruising was 33-34 degrees. I’m sure I could add even more.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
I think I made a breakthrough today. After doing lots of research, guys who were tuning for MPG mentioned that they monitor EGT while cruising, and that adding timing can reduce it. If it’s too retarded, EGT can continue to climb while cruising.

Referencing the tables they had posted, I increased my timing in the cruise portion of my map about 1-2 degrees at 3k to 4k rpm. The result was my ECT stayed 5 to 7 degrees cooler on the way home from work today than it did on the drive there, even though ambient temp was about 10 degrees higher.

Now, there could be other factors at play here, so I’m not saying it’s definitive, but I’m going to mess with it some more. It seems that adding timing reduced heat significantly.

For reference, I watch my Hondata while driving and my actual timing while cruising was 33-34 degrees. I’m sure I could add even more.
Great, keep us posted
Old 06-13-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0

That's about right. I still have an EGT gauge in my car, and won't get rid of it for these reasons.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That's about right. I still have an EGT gauge in my car, and won't get rid of it for these reasons.
Good to hear I may be on the right track. It just seemed so odd that, no matter what temperature it was outside, after cruising for a few minutes the ECT would slowly start to climb like clockwork. It aligned perfectly with what the MPG tuning crew was saying regarding EGT and timing. And because my radiator is only an inch or two away from my down pipe and manifold in some places, it makes sense why this might affect my ECT.

I added a little more timing. Today it never got above 190° while driving. I will be able to put it to the real test tomorrow cuz it's supposed to be a scorcher.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow thats cool. Glad you figured something out.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Good to hear I may be on the right track. It just seemed so odd that, no matter what temperature it was outside, after cruising for a few minutes the ECT would slowly start to climb like clockwork. It aligned perfectly with what the MPG tuning crew was saying regarding EGT and timing. And because my radiator is only an inch or two away from my down pipe and manifold in some places, it makes sense why this might affect my ECT.

I added a little more timing. Today it never got above 190° while driving. I will be able to put it to the real test tomorrow cuz it's supposed to be a scorcher.
I am gonna check the timing on mine, it's the crusing timing right, like 3k and below?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I am gonna check the timing on mine, it's the crusing timing right, like 3k and below?
I'd say about 5K and less.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'd say about 5K and less.
Ok thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

My cruising range is about 3k to 4k rpm, and between 17" and 12" of vacuum.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

OK yesterday afternoon driving home it still never got above 190 while cruising initially. Once I stopped and it heated up until the fan came on, then got back on the highway it still took a bit to cool back down but not too bad. I was pretty happy but it was still only in the 70's outside so not yet definitive.

Then last night my puller fan came in the mail, and I had a little spare time so I thought I'd see if I could throw it in there. I was able to get it installed in under an hour, without removing the radiator or even a hose so I wouldn't lose any coolant Hardest part was getting the new fan squeezed into place. Luckily they are plastic and bendy.

SO, I was able to make the puller fit just by offsetting it to the side so it wouldn't touch the waste gate. It overhangs the side of the radiator just under an inch. All I did for the catch can was bend the bracket so it would come out past the fan. It works, but everything is very tight, and the catch can is wedged in between the fan and lower rad hose. So eventually I will need a new catch can setup.

This morning it still stayed at 190 while cruising. The most noticeable difference though was, when I stopped for gas I let it idle and heat up to 200 with the fan on. When I got back on the highway, the temp dropped back to 190 almost instantly! This seems very promising.

This afternoon it is supposed to hit 90°outside, so I will be able to put it to the real test and *hopefully* resolve and close this thread at last!

Fan overhanging edge of rad

WG clearance

Bent catch can bracket

Overall fit. It's snug and cozy in there for sure...

And yes, I did remove the pusher fan.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad u almost there

Quick Reply: ECT at 205 idling with fans on after highway drive