Notices

E-Cutout on AFC Hack pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Cutout on AFC Hack pointless?

I was thinking about going with the E-cutout rather than a full exhaust for my car.. the plan for my car is running the hack with ghettodyne to retard per psi.. but then i started to think and realized that it would totally have to be retuned for when the e-cutout opens... and if i left all the settings for that then when it is closed it won't boost much therefore producing a very rich condition correct? anyone run into this yet? and have an easy solution.. unfortunately i don't htink the afc can store more than one map at a time so you'd have to change it all when you wanted to run the e-cutout open.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: E-Cutout on AFC Hack pointless? (spike)

its not pointless....cut-outs work great but yea you will run into a factor with switching back and forth.....when the cut out is closed and you boost you will probablly be really rich and more prone to detonation, but why would you want to boost with it closed?? just drive normally when its shut and when ya wanna romp it hard open it up..thats why its there?? just tune with cut out open...there is no happy medium, you close it for normal non boosting driving and open it for hardcore boosting....im using afc hack with ghettodyne to retard timing in boost...but i just have an exhaust....no matter wht you do factors will always come into play and knock your car out of tune, weather is always different so either way your tuning will always need to be fiddled with....my car runs pig rich somedays andt hen somedays just the right a/f mixture....its just the factors in play outdoors....but you wont experience that big of a problem that your car wont run with the cut out closed i just would boost hard and risk anything, leave that to when the cut-out is open...

Trav
Old 08-12-2003, 09:40 AM

Default Re: E-Cutout on AFC Hack pointless? (RexSiT3)

Great points. That is right on. The thing you could do is get the new safc-II. It has two fuel maps. Many people are going to that for a high boost/ low boost application.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Banned

Default Re: E-Cutout on AFC Hack pointless? (88ZCRX)

If I set my boost to 15 psi with the cutout closed. WHen I open it the boost will usually end up at 18 or so psi. With the cutout closed my car doesen't run any richer (its a mass airflow system) but it runs way slower. The car is definatley tuned for the cutout to be open. My ignition advance and target a/f ratio is set for the better volumetric efficency of an open exhaust. WHen I open the cutout, its a whole different beast. It spools 400 rpm's quicker, and rams you back in the seat HARD. Their is no turbo lag, it spools like a lightswitch. My car really gets on the cam and turbo efficency curve at about 3500 with tire spinning and torque steering drama. THe party doesen't end till redline unlike the brick wall I hit at 6000rpm's with the cutout closed. The car doesen't detonate with the cutout closed, but will a little when opened. Its a acceptable amount of detonation, usually so small that the cars ecu doesen't even care.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:02 PM

correct me if i am wrong, but if you are running in closed loop, wouldnt that help alleviate running rich since the ecu is modifying the fuel and ignition maps based on the readings from the oxygen sensor. that was always my understanding of closed loop. if i am wrong, i guess it is time to re-read the archives. the only this is that if the map is very rich, i dont know if the ecu can lean it out enough. oh well.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

Default Re: (ID_ten_T)

When you go WOT the car goes into open loop.