Notices

1 problem that can't get solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 problem that can't get solved

When NA i was running good, now boosted my engine idles like crap!

1. vaccume lines checked
2. no CEL's, jumped the clip and still no CEL's
3. new 255 pump and at idle pressure gauge reads 40.

Okay this part im dumb strucked! i checked the timing over and over again. What i can't figure out is my timing is about 14-15 degrees (fluctuate) due to engine idling and my distributor is at max, I can't turn it anymore, correct me if im wrong but advancing timing is counter clockwise? If so i'm maxed out and im only seeing 14-15degrees .

anyone got any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 1 problem that can't get solved (spooned out)

are you shorting out the connector harness (like u do when u check CEL) when ur rotating the dizzy. if not, return the dizzy back to the middle where it is stock, get a timing lite, jumper the harness and check it agn.

changing timing via dizzy doesnt take effect unless that harness is jumpered
Old 08-09-2003, 12:05 PM

so jump the harness, same one used to CEL? when adjusting timing? or is this just to set the distributor at center? more input plzz
Old 08-09-2003, 12:27 PM

Default Re: (spooned out)

yes, when making any changes to ignition timing via distributor, u must jumper that harness. if you just loosen the bolts on the distributor and turn it without shorting out the harness the ecu will compensate for it and no changes will be made to timing. i just said to change it to the middle for now so that when u initially set it it won't be way off

make sure u use a timing light to alter ignition timing accurately. if u use a timing light you'll see that turning the dizzy itself wont change timing significantly. once u jumper the harness you'll notice that even a 1-2 mm turn of the dizzy from stock will change timing a few degress.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:50 PM

when i jump it and set it to the middle do i then disconnect the "jump"? or leave it jumped until i finished timing it to TDC? I have the adjustable timing light so if i'm at TDC would that be white mark at 16 degress on the light? or set it at "0" and line it up with the red mark?
Old 08-09-2003, 04:52 PM

I jumped the wire and turned the dizzy so its centered then started the car, i then shot the timer on the crank and its really hard to get a reading, this is all done with the wire still jumped...

could you clarify steps to doing this?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:33 PM

is there something else that i maybe missing here? any other suggestions to this problem?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:47 AM

are u lining up the little arrow marks on ur timing belt cover? you should be looking for the three lines that are grouped together, i think one should be red. the middle line is 16btdc and the lines one each side of it are + and - 2 degrees. wire should be in jumper harness while you are making any adjustments. i've never used the adjustable lights before so i can't tell if ur doing anything wrong there. are you saying that the timing isn't changing or you cant see the lines?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 problem that can't get solved (spooned out)

Did you by any any chance remove the timing belt for any reason like installing cam gears or something?
Old 08-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 problem that can't get solved (Pengo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pengo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">changing timing via dizzy doesnt take effect unless that harness is jumpered</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might want to check on that, I don't see how that could be possible at all because you are actually changing the rotor's degree alignment with the cam, how isn't it going to take effect?
Old 08-10-2003, 08:47 PM

Theres 3 lines grouped together and red one in the middle, and one line (white) furthest before when hitting it with the light at "0" degrees it would be red mark then turn it to "16" degrees it would hit white mark furthest, this is all shooting it lined up to the arrow on the plastic at the 11 o'clock position give or take, now my problem is when i went turbo i can't seem to get it to idle smoothly and timming seems off could this be caused by the greddy FCU? so based on what your saying the red line is 16 degrees and the white solo line is "0" degress? I may have gotten this back wards if thats the case.

Yes cam gears were switched to aftermarket but that was before turbo so i knoe nothing has changed until hooked up the blue box

trying to get this timing issue solved its been bugging me ever since the turbo install

and when performing what you told me the timming does change but not enuff to where i can get the white mark at 16degrees and still with distrib all the way advanced

Modified by spooned out at 6:30 AM 8/11/2003
Old 08-10-2003, 08:56 PM

okay i put the car in 5th gear and pushed it till the cam gears lines lined up with each other and the line on the cover (inner) and when that lines up i could see that the pointer for the crank pulley lines up with the red line on the crank pulley, is this correct? or should the pointer line up with the white line furthest?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:10 PM

yup, red line in middle of grouped three is 16 btdc
Old 08-10-2003, 10:21 PM

Default Re: 1 problem that can't get solved (beta13)

for the guy who told me to check, i've checked, even tho i already know what i'm talkin about. it's not like i made it up. straight outta the honda service manual:

Old 08-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The pointer should line up with the line that is sitting off by itself (I think it was white but I dont remember because I have not even looked under my hood in almost a year) when everything else is at TDC. If you are telling me that when the cam gears are lined up at TDC and the pointer is NOT pointing to the white mark on the crank pulley that means your cam gears are not lined up correctly when the timing belt was put back on. Another way of putting it would be to line up the white line on the crank pulley with the timing pointer and your cam gears should be lined up with their pointers.