Notices

Drop motor in or wait and build for turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop motor in or wait and build for turbo???

Ok guys... I just recently picked up a 94 dx hatchback (canadian). Its currently stock. In my garage I've got a b16a2 complete change over just in from Hmotorsonline. I am going to turbo this engine. No questions about that. My question is whether I should pay the 400 bux to my friend for him to install it (as well as show me the in's and out of a hybrid motor swap), or should I go ahead and just being the build up of the engine and wait till next spring to install it?

As far as engine internals I'm interested in going with a darton sleeve kit, crower rods, some brand of forged pistons. Now as far as compression, I'm not building this car to be an all out drag car. Im building it to be driveable on the weekends and for trips to cali. With a good tune and forged internals running a 10.1 compression, would it be safe to assume I could build a 300+ whp car? Or should I go ahead and drop the compression to 9.0.1. I drove my friends 400+ whp hatch running 8.0.1 and it seriously sucked in the lower rpms and not on boost. Im looking to do a driveable build up here. Not looking for all out power. Just something to play around in reliably...

thanks guys
drew
Old 05-31-2003, 08:09 PM

This is a problem I bothered myself about b4 I did my swap.

My answer: if you've got the money for the build up right now, then build it up now and wait till spring or whenever to install it. If you dont have the money yet for the internals, *** it.. install the b16 and take it back out maybe next spring when u have the money for the internals.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:16 PM

i'm waiting till i finish the build up ... its more fun that way.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:19 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (drjondurst)

While its out get the bottom end built atleast. that way it doesnt have to come back out and be broken down to bare block again. thats a ton of work. go 9:1 and it will make plenty of power for a street warrior. I would go with pauter rods, Cp Pistons and GE sleeves. Oh, and dont go crazy with the 84mm bore BS. keep it stock bore or 20 over that way there is some room for error. Hope this helps!!
Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MotorMatrix.com)

Sorry... Im not as educated about engine internals as some of you guys are. But could someone here define what *bore* is. And how or what they do to an engine to change it. Along with benifits, problems with over-boring an engine...

thanks for all the free education...
Old 05-31-2003, 08:47 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Tur*bLu)

the bore is the size of the cylinder. for instance, stock bore is 81mm. you could open it up to 84mm to use bigger piston and make more displacement. in other words a 1.6 liter at 81mm is 1600cc's but at 84mm its a low 1700cc displacement. to me the extra 100 cc's is not worth thinning the sleeves when you are looking to make under 600whp. also, when you stay at 81mm or 81.5 mm you have more room to over bore in case of wall damage. that way you dont have to throw the block out or resleeve cause you were bored over too much to start. hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MotorMatrix.com)

thank you very much for that informantion. So its not worth it for me to bore out the sleeves eh? I mean i dont really want to make more than 350whp. But if its easily handilable with my desired bottom end setup than Ill surely go for more power. Money really isnt the key here. Im more into taking my time and doing things right the first *few* times around. hehe... I really dont plan on doing to much to the head. And I pretty much want to stay with a t3 (60 ar trim) We had great results with these turbo's on our 1.8t's. Maybe even a to4e. Like I said this is going to be a long and steady build up, as well as a learnign experience for me. First time Im doing stuff other than bolt on.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tur*bLu)

What's Dude my buddy made 321 hp on a stock 1.8 block with no problems I say just boost what you got. Do a compression and leak down test to find out what condition your motor is in replace your headgasket and boost. Don't get crazy turning up the boost you should be fine. I'm in the same situation your in and I'm installing my engine and turbo as soon as I return from overseas.

Chris