Notices

Downpipe leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downpipe leak!!

Whats up guys i know im sounding like a noob here considering i just posted about why my turbo would not spool well came to find out when i was pulling off the lift it got caught and riped off! Now I see i have a leak on one of the welds on the downpipe i tried to weld it to fill it up but all it did was make it bigger. Do i have any other options to patch it up? Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (rlyoung)

Any leak after the turbo(I.E...Downpipe)..its not or shouldnt be significant... but any leak before the turbo(I.E. .. Manifold..Manifold flange to turbo) will hurt big in spool and hp loss
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (fjt)

yea i know the leak wont affect it much i just hate the way it sounds ya know im just looking for some suggestions about how i should patch it up. Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rlyoung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i know the leak wont affect it much i just hate the way it sounds ya know im just looking for some suggestions about how i should patch it up. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you should get a new downpipe or have the old one repaired.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (espanol)

i was thinking about a new one but my turbo seems to be backwards compared to most... my intake side faces the passenger side and the hot side is on the drivers side. Thats the only reason i havent bought a new one. We tried to repair the one i have now but it doesnt wanna hold the weld. im thinking about welding a small plate of metal to cover the hole, Good idea?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rlyoung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking about a new one but my turbo seems to be backwards compared to most... my intake side faces the passenger side and the hot side is on the drivers side. Thats the only reason i havent bought a new one. We tried to repair the one i have now but it doesnt wanna hold the weld. im thinking about welding a small plate of metal to cover the hole, Good idea?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How big is the hole? Who's welding it? pics?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (espanol)

What material is it? If it's a small hole you should just be able to patch over it.

I'd cut a small sheet of metal, maybe hammer a piece of scrap to fit over it and weld it on. What kind of welder are you using to weld?

I made the mistake of trying to weld aluminum w/ my Harbor Freight flux-core welder.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I made the mistake of trying to weld aluminum w/ my Harbor Freight flux-core welder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahah
Old 02-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (Soccerking3000)

JB WELD........ Shlt works miracles!

Patched up my center console area after I did my auto - manual conversion. Thing is strong like a **** after it cures..... Also heat resistant to a certain degree. check it out.

Should work fine on ur downpipe. Its like puddy so its pretty damn easy to work with. It doent have to be pretty, but its also sandable. If thats a word.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Downpipe leak!! (satvied)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satvied &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB WELD........ Shlt works miracles!

Patched up my center console area after I did my auto - manual conversion. Thing is strong like a **** after it cures..... Also heat resistant to a certain degree. check it out.

Should work fine on ur downpipe. Its like puddy so its pretty damn easy to work with. It doent have to be pretty, but its also sandable. If thats a word.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope you arent serious
Old 02-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they have exhaust patching tools/wrap from anyparts stores. jb weld isn't gonna hold w/ all that heat.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: (no2unenolife)

exhaust patch stuff never works... i think im just gonna take it to the local muffler show that does all custom **** and tell them to fix it. We were using a mig welder to patch it up and it wasnt working to well just bruning the hole bigger. The material is aluminized and cast iron, not the best combo but it works.