Notices

Does it matter where I drill my oil pan .. if it's as high as possible on the deep part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it matter where I drill my oil pan .. if it's as high as possible on the deep part?

So as long as I'm straight up of the deep part of the pan, does it matter where the whole is ? ... like right side, middle, left ...

on my GReddy kit they say that it should be on the right half ... ?!? what if I move it due to the use of another fitting?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Does it matter where I drill my oil pan .. if it's as high as possible on the deep part? (miro_

noone with an opinion about that ?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does it matter where I drill my oil pan .. if it's as high as possible on the deep part? (miro_

Use the search function, it will help you find a picture of a proper taping location.
You want to make sure you tap between 2 of the pan holes & as high as possible.....
Old 03-12-2005, 08:40 PM

gotta do it tomorrow .. and the search function doesn't hepl at this moment ..
so back to my question please
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 PM

how hard is it to use search? it takes like 1min...
Old 03-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Domani 2.0)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=715094

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=877394

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=511038

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=268110

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=500962

you're welcome
Old 03-12-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

My advise is drill your pan last. Put the turbo and the whole fireworks kit on it, then you'll be able to tell what area will work with your slope/pan.

If you just drill the first area you think will be good, the turbo placement may make you regret it. Just put the turbo/manifold and everything on first. And it doesn't matter if its' right/left, just make sure it's sloped, and not drowning in oil.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

ok, so I guess it doesn't matter where exactly the hole is ... I plan to do it with the rubber hose that comes with the GReddy kit, and use one 90-deg pipe to go to the fitting that I'll put on the oil pan ... wish me luck, I'll drill it in 1 hour

oh, should I use something like JB weld or so ? .. or anything else. ..
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So many people say it is crucial to tap above the oil level...and I allways thought that to be true also.

However, since I have began working on VWs at a dealership(many of them factory turbocharged), I have seen tapping above the oil level is not necessary.

Here are a couple snapshots I took with my camera phone of FACTORY oil returns on VWs.

As you will notice...they are all BELOW the oil level, and these cars do not destroy their turbocharges as a result.

This pic is of a passat 1.8t oil return. Below the oil level in the pan.

Here is a golf or jetta 1.8t
Old 03-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats an interesting find, Most people say that its good to tap your oil pan high, which I dont think its a bad idea at all, but I tapped my pan for an oil temp gauge and its just above the drain bolt and if I accelerate hard I can get the gauge to jump 10 degrees cause theres hardly any oil left in the pan cause its getting pumped all over the engine.

happy boosting!

Blaze
Old 03-13-2005, 11:46 AM

don't drill 2 close where it will be hard to screw back in the pan, don't put the flange over the screw hole, i did that when i did my install, i had to bitch of a time putting it in
Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't drill 2 close where it will be hard to screw back in the pan, don't put the flange over the screw hole, i did that when i did my install, i had to bitch of a time putting it in</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ What he said, tap it high, but don't tap it directly underneath the oil pan bolts.

To give you and idea, here is how I did mine:

Good Luck ,
Khoi
Old 03-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt the greddy kit on the prelude use the oil drain plug bolt for the oil return? i saw it in a magazine and thought that was weird...
Old 03-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i have noticed it also.. look in the MARCH issue of honda tuning, they are doing an install of a greddy hit on a rsx type s and the drain for the turbo is put into the drain plug.. how does that work?

also my brother has a porsche 944 in his shop and the drain for that turbo goes to the bottom of the pan..

why ? i thought it has to above the oil level in the pan..

any info on that would be cool!!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The common sense I see for tapping it high is to give oil the least resistance returning to the drain pan from the turbo.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To give you and idea, here is how I did mine:
</TD></TR></TABLE>
its really not good for you to angle the bung downward. your's isn't bad because of the bent fitting, but if you were using a straight fitting you would prolly have problems.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by konigturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i have noticed it also.. look in the MARCH issue of honda tuning, they are doing an install of a greddy hit on a rsx type s and the drain for the turbo is put into the drain plug.. how does that work?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i gotta go buy an issue, and check it out.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by konigturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also my brother has a porsche 944 in his shop and the drain for that turbo goes to the bottom of the pan..

why ? i thought it has to above the oil level in the pan..

any info on that would be cool!! </TD></TR></TABLE>
most if not all porsche's use a dry sump oil system. in that case it wouldn't matter. i always thought the 944 used a wet sump tho, in which case i have no idea.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This pic is of a passat 1.8t oil return. Below the oil level in the pan.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
this may be a misleading pic. is this the deep part of the pan or the shallow part?
Old 03-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll see if I can get a better pic in the next couple days at work. The drain plug is basicly right next to the oil return.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe it's because their oil feed line is restricted
Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My suggestion is to tap it above oil level if your manifold allows a higher mounted turbo. If you could retain a nice downward slope with the higher oil drain on the pan, it would be best.

If your turbo is mounted low, I suggest rather than trying to make the oil line work above the oil level, have the oil line sloping as much downward as possible and plumb the oil drain beneath the oil level if you have to (as long as the turbo is sitting above the oil level).
Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

Another spot you can tap into is the left bottom corner of the block (under the front coolant drain plug) where there looks to be a "blocked" hole. Larry from "Import Auto Salvage" did this on their race car and it works fine. Saves you the trouble of any leaking oil pans or connectors. Plus at this location, you eventually use a shorter oil return line and the entry point is higher than the oil pan itself. Dayem!! Should have done the same on my setup too!!
Old 03-13-2005, 07:50 PM

already did it )) .... I also used the fitting that came with the kit (kinda shitty one) due to the missing size of drill bits ... **** ... oh well, I used some high temperature silicone (or so) gasket all around my oil feed and return plugs (everywhere), so I hope it should be OK

BTW I installed the whole kit in 15 hours (2 days). It's a GReddy 15G .. the manual sucked ... but I never used it anyway ... only for the e-manage wiring diagram. I just got back home from my bosses house where I did it. First impression - fuuuuuuuuuuck, my car is fast as **** (well got only 150WHP at the moment but still ..)

still need to put my intercooler (6" JRC) - have everything except time ... maybe next weekend. by that time I'll make sure the car is fine

so far: no oil leaks, no lose connections, no strange sounds, no CEL's, no temperature changes (I noticed that my fan is turning on from time to time when the car is not hot at all ?!?).

got a looot of pictures (about 50), so I'll make a post with a complete installation instructions ... soon
Old 03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NVturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another spot you can tap into is the left bottom corner of the block (under the front coolant drain plug) where there looks to be a "blocked" hole. Larry from "Import Auto Salvage" did this on their race car and it works fine. Saves you the trouble of any leaking oil pans or connectors. Plus at this location, you eventually use a shorter oil return line and the entry point is higher than the oil pan itself. Dayem!! Should have done the same on my setup too!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, that's how my oil drain is done... Very simple to drill and tap a fitting. However, only higher-mounted turbo setups can use that hole at the block.

Here's a pic of my oil drain using that bung at the block:

Old 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM

Whats the size of the fitting you used on that block drain? Interesting.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats the size of the fitting you used on that block drain? Interesting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's only an -8AN... It's amazing how a much shorter line can help the oil drain. Oh, plus the turbo is a GT28RS and the supplied oil inlet fitting is like 0.035" in size

Quick Reply: Does it matter where I drill my oil pan .. if it's as high as possible on the deep part?