Does dumping on the hotside decrease power??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does dumping on the hotside decrease power??

Does having an open dumptube dumping on the hotside of the piping decrease power? My dump goes RIGHT onto my hotside pipe (like there is carbon on the piping) im wondering if i should reroute it and will it help me pickup and power??
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (turbotime)

im sure it heats up the piping more then it would usually be. i had the same thing, so i just cut the dumtube shorter
Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think it will be a big deal, thats what the intercooler is for. i think you would only get robbed of power if the exhaust gases were getting back into the intake. we have all seen what a proper routed dump tube can do.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think it will be a big deal, thats what the intercooler is for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I mean my ic/hotside is hot and the coldside is cold as it should be so im assuming it wouldnt make a big diff but im thinking maybe itll keep my engine bay a bit cooler as well if i dump it past the pan/engine instead of infront of it....
Old 08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it has a minor effect but nothing that would cost you that much power.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dumping under the pan is probably the best bet. not even so much for heat issues but more for cleanliness and elimination of exhaust gas recirculation.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dumping under the pan is probably the best bet. not even so much for heat issues but more for cleanliness and elimination of exhaust gas recirculation. </TD></TR></TABLE>

under the pan or past the pan? I would think under the pan it might heat up the oil no? Right now mine pretty much goes straight down with the tube being about 8" long so it ends right in the middle of the radiator sorta
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just buy some flex pipe from JC whitney and route it out of the engine bay
Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (HT Chaplain)

I think it is a big deal. I had the dumptube dumping right on top of one of the charge pipes (hot side). After a couple of boosted passes the pipe would heat up quite a bit and i would notice a decrease in performance. You don't want the intercooler trying to cool air hotter than it has to be.

From what I have heard, the dumptube can actually shoot flames out as you approach redline in boost.

reroute it.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (not2slo128)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by not2slo128 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I have heard, the dumptube can actually shoot flames out as you approach redline in boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what i was thinkin..... guess ill stop by advanced and see if they got any of that flextubing
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

flex tubing is against the rules.

i'd be glad to tig weld something for you so its not ghetto hahaha
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (not2slo128)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by not2slo128 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You don't want the intercooler trying to cool air hotter than it has to be.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly

You will notice a difference, because even though the intercooler will cool the air down to a safe temperature, the air going into the intercooler is MUCH hotter than it needs to be.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (. S h ! t t y L S)

how much hotter do you guys think the dump tube gases are compared to the compressed exhaust air coming out of the turbo? do you really think the dump tube is "heating" the air more than it already is. im not too sure, what do you guys think?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does dumping on the hotside decrease power?? (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">flex tubing is against the rules. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha! You know me im poor!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much hotter do you guys think the dump tube gases are compared to the compressed exhaust air coming out of the turbo? do you really think the dump tube is "heating" the air more than it already is. im not too sure, what do you guys think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point. I know that that hotpipe is damn hot, it is noteably hotter directly under the dump
Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
my house has wheels on it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much hotter do you guys think the dump tube gases are compared to the compressed exhaust air coming out of the turbo? do you really think the dump tube is "heating" the air more than it already is. im not too sure, what do you guys think?</TD></TR></TABLE>during normal cruising EGT's are probably in the 650-800 range

hard sustained full throttle acceleration i bet you see egt's as high as 1200 degrees f. there is no way that the outlet temps of the compressor can be a 1/3rd of that. but i have never tested it so who knows...just speculating
Old 08-08-2006, 03:03 PM

there is a bigass thread on this subject..

and yes there is quite an advantage to running one.. in that thread the guy picked up like 40hp on a 500hp setup if i remember correctly..
Old 08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zakar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zakar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a bigass thread on this subject..

and yes there is quite an advantage to running one.. in that thread the guy picked up like 40hp on a 500hp setup if i remember correctly.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not to be rude but did you read the entire thread?? we are NOT debating the effectiveness of using a dumptube. he has a dump tube but he is just worried that it is decreasing performance because its blowing on his IC piping. making the intake charge hotter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssWhiteboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">during normal cruising EGT's are probably in the 650-800 range. hard sustained full throttle acceleration i bet you see egt's as high as 1200 degrees f. there is no way that the outlet temps of the compressor can be a 1/3rd of that. but i have never tested it so who knows...just speculating</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point. compressed ambient air probably isnt anywhere as hot as exhaust gases.