Notices

BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea?

Just looking for any cons to going a tad overboard on the intercooler and charge piping size, you know, like leaving room for upgrades

I plan to use a tube n fin 24 X 9 X 3 intercooler on my D16, fully built, t3 .60/.63 pushing 16-18psi

I also plan on using 3" charge pipes, just because I have a lot left over form making my exhaust

Now is there any downsides to running such large **** to leave room for a larger turbo upgrade a little down the road

I should be around 300-325 whp where I stand right now

Thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (1 Cam Wonder)

2.5 TO 3 wont make that much difference on your setup. because of the extra diameter of the pipes it will just take longer to spool. plenty of people make gobs of power with 2.5in piping
Old 12-10-2004, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad idea... stick with 2.5" intercooler tubing.. that d-series engine won't ever need anything bigger.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Personally I don't think it'll be a problem if it's even noticable at all. If You calculate the additional volume of the larger piping and compare it to the flow rate of your turbo (no one here ever does this) you'll see that the added spool time is less than you could probably tell anyway. Remember, aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the flow velocity, and flow velocity is proportional to the square of the pipe diameter (A=pi*(D^2)/4), so drag is proportional to the FOURTH power of pipe diameter! This means that a 2.5" charge pipe would have more than TWICE the aerodynamic drag, i.e. pressure drop, of a 3" pipe! Of course it really only makes a difference at the top end and not for daily driving. Please do the math yourself so that you will believe it.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (tjbizzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tjbizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally I don't think it'll be a problem if it's even noticable at all. If You calculate the additional volume of the larger piping and compare it to the flow rate of your turbo (no one here ever does this) you'll see that the added spool time is less than you could probably tell anyway. Remember, aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the flow velocity, and flow velocity is proportional to the square of the pipe diameter (A=pi*(D^2)/4), so drag is proportional to the FOURTH power of pipe diameter! This means that a 2.5" charge pipe would have more than TWICE the aerodynamic drag, i.e. pressure drop, of a 3" pipe! Of course it really only makes a difference at the top end and not for daily driving. Please do the math yourself so that you will believe it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

crazy! i learn something new everyday
Old 12-10-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (unsungsohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unsungsohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

crazy! i learn something new everyday </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda-tech is a wonderful source of new and old ideas... to bad many of them are incorrect.

decreased throttle response of 3" piping
reversion of 3" pipe being restricted by a smaller throttle body

Any moderate increase in intercooler tube and intercooler volume has a noticeable affect on throttle response

.... and yes I have tested different size pipes and intercoolers on the same setup to see the difference... try it yourself.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honda-tech is a wonderful source of new and old ideas... to bad many of them are incorrect.

decreased throttle response of 3" piping
reversion of 3" pipe being restricted by a smaller throttle body

Any moderate increase in intercooler tube and intercooler volume has a noticeable affect on throttle response

.... and yes I have tested different size pipes and intercoolers on the same setup to see the difference... try it yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE> Exactly you are pressurising the whole tract of course having a larger piping will increase spool time. 2.5 in will be fine.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (turbozxi)

oh, I was just hoping I could use 3" because Im going to be buying a lot for my downpipe and exhaust system

Any other op9inions that think it would be alright to go wit it?

Im hoping not to affect spool time though
Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say get a throttle body that is close to the same size as the pipe, otherwise you will get some odd stuff going on in the charge pipes with pressure waves, etc.

it will work fine, but 2.5 would be better.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (JDogg)

ive got a JE 64mm t/b

But for info
Old 12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do it once do it right the piping is not expensive.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 Cam Wonder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive got a JE 64mm t/b

But for info</TD></TR></TABLE>

64mm = 2.5" which means that you are going to have to use a .5" silicone reducer to the throttlebody which is a significant reduction. This is not good.

I'm really surprised that you are still asking this question.... if you don't believe me then do a search.

3" intercooler piping is usually best for over 600 whp. Your "1 cam wonder" will never see that.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: BIG Intercooler, BIG Piping, BAD Idea? (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

64mm = 2.5" which means that you are going to have to use a .5" silicone reducer to the throttlebody which is a significant reduction. This is not good.

I'm really surprised that you are still asking this question.... if you don't believe me then do a search.

3" intercooler piping is usually best for over 600 whp. Your "1 cam wonder" will never see that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea theres no reason to run 3" piping if you have a 2.5" throttle body. To really make the 3" piping worth it, you need to keep the whole system that size.

liam