Notices

do i need resleeving if going turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need resleeving if going turbo?

i wanted to go turbo on my gsr motor but i was thinking. that if slap it on with stock internals will it hurt the engine and not last very long? or can i slap it on and just boost 6-8lbs of boost and be ok with out resleeving my block and with out sending it to the garbage?.. do i have to resleeve the block if i go turbo or no? please if you can give me some opinions that would really get my project going thanks guys...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need resleeving if going turbo? (ALLMOTOR CRX)

You'd be suprised what kinda power you can make on a stock sleeve engine now days. I think highest i've seen was in the 600whp range. on stock internals you could prolly go 400~ but 300-350 is prolly more of a happy medium.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: do i need resleeving if going turbo? (Puscifer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Puscifer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You'd be suprised what kinda power you can make on a stock sleeve engine now days. I think highest i've seen was in the 600whp range. on stock internals you could prolly go 400~ but 300-350 is prolly more of a happy medium.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct. think in terms of power not psi.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need resleeving if going turbo? (doood)

Do a search for "stock sleeves." Many threads on this. . .
Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: do i need resleeving if going turbo? (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

correct. think in terms of power not psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you mean power as in allmotor right or boosting is all the same is in? still have not received the answer im looking for.. can i boost 8lbs on stock sleeves with out sending my motor to the garbage? or do i have to resleeve it...
Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, 8 PSI on stock sleeves is fine. Just make sure that it's tuned well and it should last a long time.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:55 PM

alright then well thanks man for the answer... what you guys think about this turbo it off from ebay.. click on the link below.. let me know if i should get it or not..all the piping will be for a gsr piping in a crx... let me know what you guys think about this turbo kit... thanks again guys for all the replys

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ALLMOTOR CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLMOTOR CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1</TD></TR></TABLE>

(90 days warranty if item is install by professional)

I would save your money and buy a quality kit or peace together a quality kit.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:07 PM

i want to buy this because its all complete and everything i need in order to install it right? i mean thats what it says... all fitting and stuff.. but i mean i can change blow off valves and turbos right? like turbonetics or greddy... so would guys recommend buying this i mean all the pipes are going to be bent for the crx already for a crx.. or what you guys think?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your on some kind of budget, id say go with these guys.

http://www.treadstoneperforman...o+Kit

it has some good quality parts and at not too bad of a price. and its a complete kit.

or if you have deep pockets, you should go with full-race, peaks boost, greddy, ect.

hope this help you in somewhat way.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:26 PM

thanks i will consider it at least they have a reconigzed brand thanks really helped out.. any more opinions on the ebay turbo kit?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the ebay turbo kits. After a few days when the cheap Chinese turbo starts blowing the motor oil out into the compressor or turbine housing (or all over the ground), I can pick up the turbo or even the whole kit for really cheap from the poor bastard that bought it. Then I can send it to Blaast where they replace the internals with Garrett parts and I've got a decent turbo with a good gaurantee for a few hundred bucks. The other parts are sometimes usable as well, albeit poorly fitting and a little crappy. The tubular manifolds are pretty worthless though, not worth the effort to put one on if it does this so fast:

Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLMOTOR CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wanted to go turbo on my gsr motor but i was thinking. that if slap it on with stock internals will it hurt the engine and not last very long? or can i slap it on and just boost 6-8lbs of boost and be ok with out resleeving my block and with out sending it to the garbage?.. do i have to resleeve the block if i go turbo or no? please if you can give me some opinions that would really get my project going thanks guys... </TD></TR></TABLE>

The following are the questions I asked everyone that comes to the shop and wanting me to build their motor.

- What your ultimate HP goal ? The most answer I get is 600-700 whp
- Are you willing to get a twin disk clutch around $ 1200-$ 1300 ish, since the single disk will propably maxxed out at 400-450 whp ?
- Are you willing to upgrade your fuel system setup, expected cost around $ 1000 ish ?
- If your injectors are less than 880cc, would you upgrade to 1000 cc ? Add about $ 200 after selling your old injector and get 1000cc
- Are you willing to replace your axles with performance axles ? Expected cost around $ 1200
- Do you have Quaife ? if not, would you get one ? Expected cost around $ 900-1000 with bearing

If you answer no to any of the above...stay stock sleeves, be happy with 400-450 whp.

Don't get me wrong, sleeving makes your engine able to handle more, but why waste the money of sleeving when you can add Cams, TB, Quaife, Larger IC piping, Better Boost Controller, good ignition system and etc..Perfectly tuned stock motor with Forged pistons and rods can handle 400-450 safely.

There's a lot of things you can buy versus spending the money on sleeving that makes more power with lesser effort from the motor and turbo.

Let's look at sleeving cost:

Sleeving with shipping $ 1000
Machine work $ 150

For $ 1150, I can get ITR cams, 68-70mm TB, Dual Stage BC, MW ignition or Quaife and etc..

In the end, customers usually happy with 400-450 whp, break less parts, spend less time under your car, spend more time driving your car...when you make over 600 yuo'll break parts...wether you like or not..

stay simple, be happy and save money..

BTW, we're direct distributor for sleeving with AEBS and Golden Eagle lol...

I am just trying to put my experience for your benefit. UNless you have an unlimited budget, spend your money wisely..

stan
Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice inf....
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (ARAXIS)

Just my $.02 - 99% of the people I've talked to who say they want more than 300whp out of their Honda have never been in a 300+ whp Honda and have no idea what goes into harnessing that kind of power in a front-wheel-drive car. Experience is key for gaining perspective on what you really want. Numbers mean nothing without a frame of reference.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just my $.02 - 99% of the people I've talked to who say they want more than 300whp out of their Honda have never been in a 300+ whp Honda and have no idea what goes into harnessing that kind of power in a front-wheel-drive car. Experience is key for gaining perspective on what you really want. Numbers mean nothing without a frame of reference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You nailed it on the spot...

usually abotu 75% of customers that want 500 plus hp, I ended up talking them into 300-400 whp ish.

Once they see what it takes to make 500 plus CORRECTLY, they settle for 300-400..and I usually take them for a ride to

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for you to make 600 whp and spend money with us, but if you don't need it and or have no experience on keeping it together, then I'll do my best to educate you the best way I can. From then you can make your own decision..

It's all about knowledge...

stan
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You nailed it on the spot...

usually abotu 75% of customers that want 500 plus hp, I ended up talking them into 300-400 whp ish.

Once they see what it takes to make 500 plus CORRECTLY, they settle for 300-400..and I usually take them for a ride to

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for you to make 600 whp and spend money with us, but if you don't need it and or have no experience on keeping it together, then I'll do my best to educate you the best way I can. From then you can make your own decision..

It's all about knowledge...

stan</TD></TR></TABLE>

I deal with this all the time as well Flamenco and stan. Many customers and clients also don't look at the power/weight and torque/weight ratios when it comes to creating power. I've always gotten the comparison of "I want to be able to get supras and RB motored cars on the highway, and they're at over 600whp".. So, shouldn't I be at that power level? The answer is clearly No. I've had many fun setups at 350-450whp that would seriously run against those other platforms. Also, you gotta remember, with the right parts to make it fast, you also need the right parts to make it slow down properly, and safely. many times have customers dumped over 7-10K on their setups without touching the even MORE important areas of breaking, suspension, the right fluids to avoid boiling points, and other supplementals to keep the car as safe as possible for other drivers out there..
Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just my $.02 - 99% of the people I've talked to who say they want more than 300whp out of their Honda have never been in a 300+ whp Honda and have no idea what goes into harnessing that kind of power in a front-wheel-drive car. Experience is key for gaining perspective on what you really want. Numbers mean nothing without a frame of reference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good statement, specially with the lighter cars
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: do i need resleeving if going turbo? (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The following are the questions I asked everyone that comes to the shop and wanting me to build their motor.

- What your ultimate HP goal ? The most answer I get is 600-700 whp
- Are you willing to get a twin disk clutch around $ 1200-$ 1300 ish, since the single disk will propably maxxed out at 400-450 whp ?
- Are you willing to upgrade your fuel system setup, expected cost around $ 1000 ish ?
- If your injectors are less than 880cc, would you upgrade to 1000 cc ? Add about $ 200 after selling your old injector and get 1000cc
- Are you willing to replace your axles with performance axles ? Expected cost around $ 1200
- Do you have Quaife ? if not, would you get one ? Expected cost around $ 900-1000 with bearing

stan
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. hp goal is 310 at the most 320 is pushing it with stock internals thats what i think... i want something that will last and fun to drive ill be happy with 280whp..

2.dont need the twin disc clutch im not going to do more than 320hp...

3.i am going to upgrade fuel system 440rc injectors already have them. and 255 walbro in tank fuel pump.. no matter what

4.im not going to upgrade axle no need only if i snap them...

5.i already have a cable b16 y1 with kaaz 1.5 way lsd in it but im going to go with a hydro jdm gsr lsd tranny instead.. and this one i will sell it..

thanks for all the info guys this is really helping me out and giving me lots of info and i think i have found my answer i dont need sleeves im my hp goal is 310 im safe and i will built something that will last hopefully..

one more question so i should not get that ebay turbo right piece of crap is what you guys say? ok thanks for the info.. and also im the process of buying a hydro jdm gsr lsd tranny for 750 shipped should i get it or no? thosent this help me for turbo boosting.. with the long gear ratios and all? what are some complete turbos for good prices any websites would really help? dont have deep pockets planning on wasting 1000-2000 on this turbo kit possible to get a good quality turbo kit complete at this price? thanks guys for all the info...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM

bump for info.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:44 PM

440cc ain't gonna cut it. You should consider getting 550cc for 300+whp. Always go a little bigger then smaller and so you keep the duty cycle around 80%.

I have 3 MSD 550cc injector if you are interested. Lost one somewhere but you can get one for like $70 bux or so new. Was gonna get the replacement but I am looking for 720cc injectors.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 PM

no 440rc injectors will do it im probably just going to boost 8lbs and get 290 at the most..
Old 05-08-2007, 02:25 PM

bump