Notices

Do I need a catch can??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a catch can??

The search function is unavailable right now....

I have a semi-built gsr-t...running from 8-15 psi. I have no oil blowing out the filter on my valve cover, but I'm sure there are other reasons to run one. Enlighten me? I know they are cheap, and I plan on getting one.... so basically what are the advantages?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (94lsboost)

You might not see oil now but you will eventually.

I didn't think I needed one until I pulled the plugs one day and they were absolutely soaked in oil. So I installed a $13 air/oil seperator that I bought at Home Depot and have had perfect tan plugs (and tan turbine wheel) ever since.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your not having a problem then you don't need one.All they do is separate the oil from the air coming out of your engine and capture it.
Glenn
Old 01-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i never had the use for one, mainly cosmetics
Old 01-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (beepy)

beepy can we get some pics of your setup?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (95cxh22a)

Sure:

Here's the total engine setup as of now. The oil seperator is lost in that mess of vacuum lines and wires over there to the right. The wires are Honda B-series, which are cheaper than buying OEM wires, and fit perfectly besides being a little long.

Here's the Husky brand oil/air seperator. You can see some oil in there right now. It takes a couple weeks to fill it up.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94lsboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have no oil blowing out the filter on my valve cover</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your intake manifold is sucking it in through the pcv, though.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (B16A Grenade)

Just get one to be on the safe side.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:21 PM

beepy. what size lines are those going to the seperator? and also where do you have the lines routed to? ie crankcase, valve cover, intake manifold, turbo pipe inlet? thanks for the pics.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (95cxh22a)

This should clarify:

The lines are all 3/8" hose. The line without the PCV valve is the one that goes to the throttle body in OEM configuration. You just cut this line and add the oil seperator. The line WITH the PCV valve should either go to your turbo intake, or to a breather.

I see a lot of people mess up that last part and wonder why they lose crankcase vacuum. The purpose of the PCV valve is to stay closed so the PVC system can evacuate the crankcase, only to open if the pressure exceeds what the engine vaccum can counteract. (Like at WOT or in boost)

PS: The oil seperator in the line with the PCV is only there because I have a full intake and want to keep oil out of it. You won't need this if you are just venting, but your vent filter will get oily.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:42 PM

I did find oil on the bottom two threads of one of my plugs, but the plug itself looked fine...?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The line WITH the PCV valve should either go to your turbo intake, or to a breather.

I see a lot of people mess up that last part and wonder why they lose crankcase vacuum. The purpose of the PCV valve is to stay closed so the PVC system can evacuate the crankcase, only to open if the pressure exceeds what the engine vaccum can counteract. (Like at WOT or in boost)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think you're getting enough vacuum if you hook up the PCV valve line to the turbo intake. Someone made a diagram a while back, but I have yet to see someone do this. If you're keeping the PCV valve, it should be connected to the intake manifold. A breather is even worse unless you have a catch can and remove the PCV valve.

The second paragraph sounds backwards. Although, I'm sure you didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94lsboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did find oil on the bottom two threads of one of my plugs, but the plug itself looked fine...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that could be spark plug gasket related
Old 01-31-2005, 08:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A Grenade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think you're getting enough vacuum if you hook up the PCV valve line to the turbo intake. Someone made a diagram a while back, but I have yet to see someone do this. If you're keeping the PCV valve, it should be connected to the intake manifold. A breather is even worse unless you have a catch can and remove the PCV valve.

The second paragraph sounds backwards. Although, I'm sure you didn't mean for it to sound that way.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the misconception. You do not want vaccum on the PCV valve. The point of the PCV valve to be closed so that vaccum can be generated IN the engine. I see tons of people screw it up and the same people wonder why their blowby gets nasty.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it is so. If you don't believe me, go start your motor and then remove the oil cap. If you don't feel a lot of suction, and your engine doesn't almost stall, then the PCV system is misrouted. Now connect the non-PCV line to the manifold. Do the same above experiment. You should now feel tons of vaccum in the engine. Congratulations, your blowby and emmissions just went down, and your engine will run better.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course you want vacuum on the pcv valve. The vacuum opens the valve, which ventilates the crankcase. This is the way it is stock! PCV---&gt;intake manifold;valve cover vent---&gt;before the throttle body (NA).

If your car is boosted, this makes things different. You can keep the PCV vavle hooked up the same way, but under boost it will remain closed. The valve cover line goes to the intake before the turbo.

The best way for a boosted car is to completely remove the pcv, and run a line to an open breather catch can. Or, you can do an Endyn setup with a return line. When you do this, it's ok to just run a breather from the valve cover.

I don't know where you got your information, but you've been misinformed.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:51 AM

This is not how it is stock. If you have vacuum to the PCV valve it will just suck from the other hose. Nothing would be forcing it to place a vacuum on the crankcase. It is an easy mistake to make because both lines go to almost the same spot on the engine in OEM configuration.

I ran it the wrong way for a long time because it "made sense", but switching it to where the PCV valve is vented is the only thing that forces a vacuum in the crankcase. Done properly, you don't have to worry about compressing your crankcase in boost, because the excess pressure will be vented THROUGH your PCV valve to the atmoshpere (or turbo intake).

Looky:

The PCV valve is CLOSED when vaccuum is applied to it, because the vacuum comes from inside the crankcase. The PCV valve will be open when engine vaccum drops to zero.

For more-detailed reading: http://www.filtercouncil.org/ techdata/tsbs/94-2R.html
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Re-read the information from the link you gave me. Look at the pictures again. Read the text in the picture!

IDLE=HIGH VACUUM=OPEN PCV

HIGHER RPMs=LOWER VACUUM=OPEN PCV (TOP)
BOOST=CLOSED PCV (BOTTOM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is not how it is stock. If you have vacuum to the PCV valve it will just suck from the other hose. Nothing would be forcing it to place a vacuum on the crankcase. It is an easy mistake to make because both lines go to almost the same spot on the engine in OEM configuration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know which way the pcv valve flows on my car:

Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What happens if you just run an open PCV valve? Like...just keep the valve there, with no hose running to your intake mani.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (MooreBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooreBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What happens if you just run an open PCV valve? Like...just keep the valve there, with no hose running to your intake mani.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't ventilate your crankcase pressure because the PCV valve won't open without vacuum. What you can do is remove or disable the PCV valve and run a hose out the bottom of the car instead of to the intake manifold. You won't pass emissions doing this though.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a catch can..Every boosted honda should have one...the endyn one is great.... The Gsr has a black box on the back of the block and a pcv valve built into it.. that pcv valve is a one way valve and will only ventalte the crankcase under vacuum....when pressure is applied (boost ) that valve closes and for the pressure to escape its only outlet is through the oil passages and out valve cover..

all motors have blow by ...when you presurize your cylinders that pressure goes past the rings and builds pressure under the piston. the pistons then have to fight that pressure and it can even wear the piston rings...ventalate your crankcase!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You won't ventilate your crankcase pressure because the PCV valve won't open without vacuum. What you can do is remove or disable the PCV valve and run a hose out the bottom of the car instead of to the intake manifold. You won't pass emissions doing this though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont have inspection... Are there any downsides to just removing the valve compared to getting into all this catch can what not?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (MooreBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooreBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont have inspection... Are there any downsides to just removing the valve compared to getting into all this catch can what not?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Other than the fact you might drip a little oil out the bottom of the hose....no.

The black box on the back of the block of most Hondas is a catch can, so most people already have one.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm a Jackass

I dident read all the post but run a tube straight to the ground. Its is the cheapest, lightest, and cleanist.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Do I need a catch can?? (DumpeDc2)

ok, so since i also have no inspection, and don't really feel like spending 100$ and adding even more crap to my engine bay, just remove the pcv black box and run a hose pointing toward the ground? When I take the box off, is there a nipple or something on the block to attach a hose to?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94lsboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, so since i also have no inspection, and don't really feel like spending 100$ and adding even more crap to my engine bay, just remove the pcv black box and run a hose pointing toward the ground? When I take the box off, is there a nipple or something on the block to attach a hose to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No no, leave the black box on. It's a stock oil seperator (catch can). Just get rid of the PCV valve itself and have the hose come off the black box.