Notices

Do i need a boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need a boost controller?

I haven't gotten my turbo setup in the car yet, (i just recieved my turbo yesterday thanks Paul) but i was wondering if i need a boost controller? The reason i ask this is because i have a tial wastegate w/an 8lb spring. I only want to run 8lbs on the stock motor for now so should i buy a boost controller and set it to 8lbs just so i don't get any boost creep? I also can't decide on a boost controller. It's between a profec-b or an XS mbc, or should i make my own and save my money for something else. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2002, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (simike)

profec b is good.i DONT think you NEED one either.
my 2 cents.
i was thiking.say you have a spring which regulates boost (to 8psi) and you whish to boost 12 or something of that nature...how would the wastegate work???
would it be held closed via the boost controller(somehow) and when 12 was reached then release the excess...hm....ive always wondered about this.
thanks.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (SiRkid)

I know if i want to raise the boost higher than 8lbs i will need a boost controller but, do i need one to hold the wastegate closed untill i reach 8lbs, or to prevent boost creep?
Old 05-09-2002, 03:31 PM
New User

with a quality wg liek that tial, i wouldn't worry about getting a boost controller. Well, once you get used to the feel of 8 u'll want a controller to turn it up. resist!

just keep the vac tube short from the compressor to the wg port and u should be fine.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you only want to run 8psi you could run right off the wastegate. a boost controller will help you build boost faster by keeping the wastegate shut until the desired boost level is achieved. if your sure you only want 8psi i would go with the xs mbc and set it and forget it.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (SiRkid)

i was thiking.say you have a spring which regulates boost (to 8psi) and you whish to boost 12 or something of that nature...how would the wastegate work???
would it be held closed via the boost controller(somehow) and when 12 was reached then release the excess...hm....ive always wondered about this.
thanks.
a wastegate regulates boost by bypassing extra exhaust gasses and keeping the turbo from spinning and creating boost. a wastegate will always open when the port on the wastegate "sees" the pressure that the spring is rated at. in order too run a higher boost pressure you have to manipulate what the wastegate "sees". This is what a boost controller does. It is basically a restriction in the line from the wastegate to the boost source and will only allow the wastegate to see what you want it too.

[Modified by racerxadam, 7:36 PM 5/9/2002]
Old 05-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (racerxadam)

ok.so basically what i said ??
thanks for clearing that up..i always asked so many questions and have learned a lot but i never asked about this.
thanks for the lesson!!
Old 05-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever concider getting a boost controller because of presure drop? you might be only getting 6lbs of boost after the intercoller and piping? If your not going to be turning the boost up and down then just get a manual boost controller that mounts in your engine bay.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know. I have a .45 bar tial, about 6.5 psi. If I ran the vacuum hose directly from the turbo conpressor housing to the wg then it seemed to crack open as low as 1 psi. Then I ran the vacuum line from the intake manifold over to the wg. Now it seems to open up around 5 psi or so. Basically it will build boost faster the longer the wg stays shut.
I plan on running 12 psi daily when I get my hondata tuned. Right now its gonna be with my homemade manual boost controller-but i plan on using a Profec B when money allows.
If you dont plan one boosting more than the 8 psi, then I would recommend that you run the vacuum line from the intake manifold location. Obviously if you want more boost, you will need a boost controller of some type.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (93LSivic)

I was told that boost controllers help with lag and you can run the same psi but with a better performance of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (Snafu-Si)

I was told that boost controllers help with lag and you can run the same psi but with a better performance of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
you are correct
Old 05-10-2002, 08:55 AM

Think I should spend $80+ on a turboxs mbc? or one of the MANY CHEAP ones on ebay that are $20 or less and look exactly the same w/o a big turbo xs tag on it? Any opinions? Price difference is big enough that I want to know if the quality is almost identical.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would buy the TurboXS controller. It's going to give you more midrange because it'll keep the wastegate from dumping boost early, which also helps the turbo spool up faster.

And they're hella cheap.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a boost controller? (gigantor)

So untill i raise the boost i should just get a MBC. Is the high performance XS MBC worth the money or should i stick with the regular XS MBC? Thanks for all the feed back.