Notices

Do Crower turbo cams work???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Crower turbo cams work???

Well my friend and I run pretty much the same set up with the same Crower cams 63401T.. he dyno'd at 470 hp @24psi. After my incident w/ my 5 piece set.. We spoke w/ Brian Crower and he told my friend to send in his working set for a new set. The cores are from a different manufacture and are labled w/ a -2 (2nd gen). Some of the original ones had casting flaws which made them suseptable to breakage. Anyways while he sent his in he put the stock cams back in his car. NO OTHER changes were made at same boost level and about same temps the car no makes 405 hp. Needless to say he really can't wait for them to come back As for my car I never dyno'd w/ the stock cams but with my new 401t-2 and 26 psi my hp shot up to 535 * although it is the same part number the specs are actually different * My point in this post is that I realize that stock cams make excellent power but I think aftermarket cams actually CAN make a difference.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:56 PM
New User

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (GSRev)

perhaps they might make power, but with their track record, I'll hold off. Stock GSR cams are proven, and considering the HUGE amount of GSR cams there are floating around, you never hear of them breaking. Crower's record speaks for itself.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (VaporTrail)

I agree with john 100 %
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 PM

I'm very interested in this also... as I have the little D16 and always need more power. Crower also makes a turbo cam for the D16 so if anyone out there has had experience with good results from these or any of the Crower Turbo cams please chime in.

On a side note. What generally kills power on VTEC motors or any motor that FI for that matter is valve overlap. You loose too much of the in-cylinder pressure that your're forcing in when you overlap. These aftermarket cams seem to be designed to help take some of that overlap out. Overlap is good for NA, but not FI from my experience and VTEC makes that worse even more. 65hp from just cams seems like it's well worth the buck your friend spent on them. Please post the new results when he gets the new ones back in. I've very interested.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (JRSCCivic98)

Although we sell these cams I do NOT believe in them. I have never seen any before or after dynos and have heard of breakage
Old 06-19-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (intercooledJRSC)

The biggest reason people snap crower cams is the lost motion assemblies. On a type-r the lost motion assy is just a hair bigger and can compensate for beffier cams. IF you swap your assy out for a type r it will work just fine with no cam problems whatsoever.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (mike1114)

Didn't Earl, Stan, or one of the other reputable FI guys do a tech write up reguarding the valvetrain tolerances and why the camshafts seem to fail? I tried a search but i didnt come up with anything...
Old 06-19-2003, 06:40 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (GudeH23a)

Alot of people need to realize that cams are not just a drop in part. You need to check of the cam spins freely. If it doesnt then they will bind and break. You still need to keep good geometry in a head like you would in a block.

art
Old 06-19-2003, 07:24 AM
New User

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The biggest reason people snap crower cams is the lost motion assemblies. On a type-r the lost motion assy is just a hair bigger and can compensate for beffier cams. IF you swap your assy out for a type r it will work just fine with no cam problems whatsoever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Explain then how when I put them correctly in my freshly rebuilt ITR head (all new OEM ITR parts, plus Crower spring/retainer) they snapped into 4 pieces? All the Crower backers have never been able to answer me that - even Brian Crower himself. Of course, the owner of the company isn't going to tell you his stuff is half assed....

Over the years, we've installed more cams than I can count. Skunk, Toda, JUN, Crower, etc. The only ones I've seen fail with my own two eyes are Crower, and if you consistantly hear of them breaking, which the others you don't, it makes you wonder if its poor installation, or poor manufacturing. I'm positive its the latter.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Better than steak

Did you grind down the rocker arms when you put on the Crower retainers?

art
Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 AM
New User

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you grind down the rocker arms when you put on the Crower retainers?

art</TD></TR></TABLE>

It wasn't needed, the installed height was correct.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I asked Brian directly about using the type r lost motion springs and his response was: " They are not needed for any of cam grinds in their catalog. They are needed for custom grinds." I again restated.. so you are saying that with the 63401t the type r lost motion springs are not required and he said that is correct.. the clearances between retainers and rocker arm were double checked and everything is fine.. we shall see!
Old 06-19-2003, 03:34 PM

Im sure that they will fix the problem one day..
Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (lazerus)

So basically crower is
Who makes any good turbo cams for a b18c1 or should i just leave my head alone?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (GudeH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GudeH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Didn't Earl, Stan, or one of the other reputable FI guys do a tech write up reguarding the valvetrain tolerances and why the camshafts seem to fail? I tried a search but i didnt come up with anything...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean this post.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=359458
Old 07-03-2003, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Do Crower turbo cams work??? (Midwestrider)

I've heard that the Crower turbo cams are based on the ITR cams or is this a myth?