Notices

Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!

Here are pics of my custom made garrett 24x12x3.5 intercooler. Garrett intercooler cores are the only way to go. The fins are very densly packed. Ebay intercoolers have at least twice the space between the fins compared to my garrett intercooler.
This intercooler is rated at 900hp and i only have about 500whp so i wonder if there are any negative things of having an over sized intercooler?

Last edited by riceball777; 04-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The real issues with running something like running "Really big", specifically with a core like Garrett, is proper airflow to other components, like Any A/C condensers, Oil coolers, and radiators. Garrett cores of that size don't like to "share" air that it exchanges with. You look as though you have the '04 model which uses 2 rows of fins per core, and not the '11 model which uses 3 rows of louvered fins per core. (In this case, for your purposes it really doesn't matter, its more than efficient enough).

Most of the other cores like Mishimoto and others of the sort, don't have that much of a problem, but that also means that it needs LOTS of surface area compared to a Garrett core to exchange air effectively. This may mean modifications to the bumper have to be made to allow better access to air for the lesser efficient coolers to work properly.

For best results, oil coolers should have access to their own independent air source if possible and not in the direct path behind the intercooler. Radiators with enough capacity can share a bit better for large intercoolers that take up the entire area, but by how much exactly is drawn away is on a case-by-case basis.

So, No, there's typically nothing wrong with going "over sized" for the power need, but take some precautions and be sure that other air exchanging components get to have proper air too.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

may be a lil off topic but the intercooler i got with my car is old and the fins are bent so im considering getting a new one but regarding how they are measured is it just the actual fin part of the intercooler right?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The real issues with running something like running "Really big", specifically with a core like Garrett, is proper airflow to other components, like Any A/C condensers, Oil coolers, and radiators. Garrett cores of that size don't like to "share" air that it exchanges with. You look as though you have the '04 model which uses 2 rows of fins per core, and not the '11 model which uses 3 rows of louvered fins per core. (In this case, for your purposes it really doesn't matter, its more than efficient enough).

Most of the other cores like Mishimoto and others of the sort, don't have that much of a problem, but that also means that it needs LOTS of surface area compared to a Garrett core to exchange air effectively. This may mean modifications to the bumper have to be made to allow better access to air for the lesser efficient coolers to work properly.

For best results, oil coolers should have access to their own independent air source if possible and not in the direct path behind the intercooler. Radiators with enough capacity can share a bit better for large intercoolers that take up the entire area, but by how much exactly is drawn away is on a case-by-case basis.

So, No, there's typically nothing wrong with going "over sized" for the power need, but take some precautions and be sure that other air exchanging components get to have proper air too.
You are correct as this is a very old intercooler. Are the new 2011 garrett intercoolers a lot better?

As far as air flow. This intercooler does block the whole front entrance for the radiator. I even have an oil cooler behind the intercooler. So with the intercooler, oil cooler and ac condenser all in front of the radiator the car still never over heats even in hot summer days in stop and go traffic with the ac on.

I'm contemplating about taking my s2000 to a track day but never have due to the fear of over heating and stuff in the engine bay melting due to the turbo setup.

I usually taking the evo for track days and the s2000 for autocross.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777
You are correct as this is a very old intercooler. Are the new 2011 garrett intercoolers a lot better?
For a size like you have no. I don't think there's any real advantage from the '04 to the '11 units. I see the biggest differences in the smaller cores (under 18" in length and under 8" in height) that show a much better advantage with the additional third row than the larger units. But you do notice that (under Garrett's own admission) that they under rate these cores, unlike Precision who overrates them. Its rather interesting.

As far as air flow. This intercooler does block the whole front entrance for the radiator. I even have an oil cooler behind the intercooler. So with the intercooler, oil cooler and ac condenser all in front of the radiator the car still never over heats even in hot summer days in stop and go traffic with the ac on.
Well, that's to be expected in normal driving conditions. Even on hot days with the rigors of commuting, its not expected to see much of a change from normal. (If there were, that means the equipment was old or wearing out anyway). It is only when the system is under true stress that you'd see the gremlins rear their ugly heads.

I'm contemplating about taking my s2000 to a track day but never have due to the fear of over heating and stuff in the engine bay melting due to the turbo setup.
I've been doing it for years (on the circuit, not drag strip), and got through it every time. Its all about the proper preparation of lubrication, cooling (both fluids and items that protect against exogenric effects, such as blankets, wraps, tapes, and proper location of certain devices.) Having A/C does hinder some things, but that's up to the individual owner to address

I usually taking the evo for track days and the s2000 for autocross.
Well, precisely. Note the location of the oil cooler on your Evolution in relation to where its located behind the intercooler in your S2000. Having an independent location makes a world of difference when you're in situations that oil temperature increase is expected
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it was asked by a few people in the thread, but I dont think it was ever asnwered. How are the Treadstone Intercoolers compared to Apexi, ARC, Garret 2011 Cores?

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...ercooler+480HP

Im wondering why its soo cheap Retail pricing..
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by integlspwr2k
I know it was asked by a few people in the thread, but I dont think it was ever asnwered. How are the Treadstone Intercoolers compared to Apexi, ARC, Garret 2011 Cores?

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...ercooler+480HP

Im wondering why its soo cheap Retail pricing..
Treadstone over the years is about in the same class as Mishimoto. Not as bad as eBay, but takes a lot of surface area to do the job. So the 480hp intercooler is good to about 400whp.. max. Standard bad fin design, see page 3 of the design structures.

Those treadstones couldn't pray enough to get remotely close to an ARC, or Apex'i much less a Garrett 2011 edition
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the best threads Ive come across on here, just stuffed full of tech and excellent pictures make it so much easier to put words into vision. Thanks Shodan, appreciate you sharing your knowledge
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I still like my PWR units.

Although I would kill for an arc or apexi core... maybe even a Garrett if I could sell my two pwr units for close to actual value
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Treadstone over the years is about in the same class as Mishimoto. Not as bad as eBay, but takes a lot of surface area to do the job. So the 480hp intercooler is good to about 400whp.. max. Standard bad fin design, see page 3 of the design structures.

Those treadstones couldn't pray enough to get remotely close to an ARC, or Apex'i much less a Garrett 2011 edition
400MAX on a 480hp. mhmm thats not a very efficient intercooler. Looking like 350 and its at its at its peak efficiently range.

I'll stick with Apexi, ARC, and Garret 2011.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It'd be nice to see some air/water intercooler examples in the thread. For the most part, we've been seeing contempory in the box coolers. That's fine as surely they have their advantages, but the others are still used for their advantages as well. How about broadening the discussion?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Also endtank design plays a lot in efficiency... the only real way to ensure proper air distribution across the core is to have a centered inlet/outlet design, this ensures the majority of the core does the cooling as opposed to a very small area, like endtanks with inlets/outlets at the top or bottom.

Someone did a fluid analysis of both designs and the core with endtanks at the bottom only distributed air to the bottom 1/4th of the core. The centered inlet/outlet core had far better air distribution. While the center of the core received marginally more air, the top and bottom had equal amounts of airflow.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GO-Autoworks 28x8x3.5; because I trust Greg's products. Rated for 600hp, flow tested @ 711 CFM.

2.3L single cam with 10:1 compression, made 417whp, 398wtq @ 19psi on T3/T4 57 trim.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peaceable
It'd be nice to see some air/water intercooler examples in the thread. For the most part, we've been seeing contempory in the box coolers. That's fine as surely they have their advantages, but the others are still used for their advantages as well. How about broadening the discussion?
Here is a couple examples of what I did....

Both involve using 2 Garrett A2W 1000hp cores.
1st design:

End tanks were big and only reinforced is a couple spots. At 38psi the end tanks were flexing and eventually gave away. Destroyed my radiator and fan in the process. Lesson learned.... keep the surface area small and triangulated for strength and flow.

2nd design:

Much stronger and still efficient. Takes over 40psi like a champ now. Braced and coated with an anti sweating material. Stays 100% dry even when its 100degF outside and ice is in the tank.

The biggest lesson I learned in efficiency of the A2W cores is water flow. The more the better. If you look in the pics you'll see that I have a dual outlet Meziere pump. At 12vdc it flows 55gpm. (think fire hose lol) I run the car at 16vdc to gain fuel pump efficiency and better fuel injector control, so the electric water pumps (2 on the car) also flow more than the 55gmp mentioned before.

In a nut shell, with my car, a S372R at 37psi dyno'd at 940whp and IAT's were less than 50degF. It doesn't matter what ambient temp is outside, the charge air is still consistently cold.

It's tough to see in the second picture, but I logged a lot of data from the second I/C setup....
Compressor outlet temp
IC outlet temp
IC Inlet water temp
IC outlet water temp
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM

Awesome how your game has stepped up in cooler charge design.. Kudos to you, my friend.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The newer treadstone stuff is actually really nice quality. I have an older TR8 on my integra and I've never had an issue with IAT's.

Definitely a bang for your buck, but like was said, their cores are a bit larger to compensate for being less dense.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome how your game has stepped up in cooler charge design.. Kudos to you, my friend.
And now I'm using an A2A intercooler. Go figure. lol
Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM

not that surprising. for your purposes, it makes sense
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im thinking my cooler is maxed would that cause any risks or just a powerloss when its hot or past efficiency?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM

yes... we've discussed that before.. Your solution originally was that it didn't matter because you were under 300whp anyway. But that heat soak is a major problem for power loss, detonation, and other issues.

Please read page 3 + , so you can get an idea of how this works again, please.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
Here is a couple examples of what I did....

Both involve using 2 Garrett A2W 1000hp cores.
1st design: End tanks were big and only reinforced is a couple spots. At 38psi the end tanks were flexing and eventually gave away. Destroyed my radiator and fan in the process. Lesson learned.... keep the surface area small and triangulated for strength and flow.

2nd design: Much stronger and still efficient. Takes over 40psi like a champ now. Braced and coated with an anti sweating material. Stays 100% dry even when its 100degF outside and ice is in the tank.

The biggest lesson I learned in efficiency of the A2W cores is water flow. The more the better. If you look in the pics you'll see that I have a dual outlet Meziere pump. At 12vdc it flows 55gpm. (think fire hose lol) I run the car at 16vdc to gain fuel pump efficiency and better fuel injector control, so the electric water pumps (2 on the car) also flow more than the 55gmp mentioned before.

In a nut shell, with my car, a S372R at 37psi dyno'd at 940whp and IAT's were less than 50degF. It doesn't matter what ambient temp is outside, the charge air is still consistently cold.

It's tough to see in the second picture, but I logged a lot of data from the second I/C setup....
Compressor outlet temp
IC outlet temp
IC Inlet water temp
IC outlet water temp
Very Impressive! Definitely an eye opener to say the least. Can you recommend a good tech-function research source for people like me desiring to understand function principles and application comparisons a bit more?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by peaceable
Very Impressive! Definitely an eye opener to say the least. Can you recommend a good tech-function research source for people like me desiring to understand function principles and application comparisons a bit more?
Yeah. Feel free to PM me with questions. I learned a lot the hard way, but also have many friends that do similar things. Nothing that you can really read. Trial and error.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default MotoIQ Turbo Tech: Intercooler Testing

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...r-testing.aspx

Good technical bits about testing intercooler efficiency and making calculations on how to improve intake temps.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Tepid, whats around the inlet shroud of the turbo? Looks like 4 fittings with push locks.. what for
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Tepid, whats around the inlet shroud of the turbo? Looks like 4 fittings with push locks.. what for
I was monitoring pressure there. Tested a couple different things. Wanted to learn more about inlet pressure and inlet temperature and relate it to compressor outlet temp and compressor rpm along with referring to backpressure to determine efficiency. All in the name of figuring out what works best and what doesn't work at all.

Quick Reply: Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!