Notices

Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up?

Are these dependent variables or independent? I read in another post in FI about someones GT28RS spooling at 6k. A person in the thread said that the reason for the slow spool could be due to a bad tuner ******* up the ignition timing.

If this is true..... what kind of ignition timing would **** up the boost curve?

Is this why people plot boost vs. hp. vs. torque vs. rpm? So they can see how their ignition timing affected spool up? :lightbulb: !

Is there a known correlation between the two? Like more ignition timing between these pressures and less between these and you get incredible spool? I know an EBC does wonders as to spool up....love the Profec B. Anyhew back on topic...let me know what you know.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up? (RTErnie)

id like to know a bit more about this as well.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up? (RTErnie)

Ive always learned that retarding timing under the curve leading up to the full load points will aid in spool. The logic being similar to that of a 2 step.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up? (Muckman)

well when we used to run the buicks, the advanced timming through all the gears helped in spooling the turbo up quicker.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up? (boostedcivicsir)

I couldn't tell you the laws behind it, but with my car there was a huge difference in spool when timing was altered.

I ran a map with like .9 degree per psi of ignition retard and the car felt sluggish and slow going into boost. Then I switched over to a step retard and WOW! What a difference. The less timing I pulled out in lower RPMs the faster the turbo would spool.

I don't know why, but there was definately a difference in feel.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up? (EJ1 wilcox)

generally, the more power you make the faster the turbo will spool.. however you can retard the timing and get the turbo to spool very fast, but when you are in the area of less timing, the car will be a pig and not want to move at all, but on the flip side, boost will come in faster.

too much timing will make it slow to spool, and too little timing will make the car sluggish and if you dont have the timing come back in as it approaches the boost target the turbo wont spool.... kinda weird to explain w/o actually showing it on the dyno
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct Correlation between Ignition timing and spool up? (JDogg)

there is a timing curve that must be followed...and as the boost comes in the timing must match it so that when the turbo starts to pick up so does the ignition timing.... is that what you were saying Jdogg?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its as simple as higher EGT's create more heat energy to spool the turbo; retarding or advancing the timing can do this depending on how far you go. Kinda the same priciples as "anti-lag."