Notices

Devcon filling a B18B Engine Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Devcon filling a B18B Engine Block

Hey guy's i am curious if anyone here has ever compltly filled a b series block. Debating on goin this route and only running coolant in the head. Has anyone ever done this here? Seems alot of the dsm guys do it. Currently have a partial filled lsv thats held strong the last 4 years. Any input would be awesome.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 08-14-2017 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Some ding dong changed it
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default re: Devcon filling a B18B Engine Block

I personally don't like the idea of this at all, but truthfully I have 0 experience with it so I have no room to talk. I'd imagine it would be most "effective" in drag only applications where cooling is a second thought.

I'd either use CSS or save up and get sleeves before this route. There's at least one pretty long thread discussing concrete filling on these forums, I saw it recently but am having issues finding it now.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to imagine that concrete would eventually start to break down in the presence of acidic coolant which would allow the aggregate to separate and find its way into oil galleys, bearings, etc throughout the engine. Sounds like a bad plan for something intended to last more than a few runs.

The only cheap semi-workable method i've seen is Devcon filling the tophalf of the block, but even that is junkyard quality engineering. Save some coin, send it to CSS and do it properly ONCE. That's my advice.

Hotrex Devcon Block Write-Up <-- some wisdom from good ol' hotrex. Back in the "glory days" of turbocharging Hondas IMO
Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why the hell someone changed my post title. You would be retarded to use concrete. I would use devcon. I currently have a partial devcon motor now. Thinking about welding the head up and completly filling the block. Most driving it does is from my trailer to the tech guy.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bubbagump
Not sure why the hell someone changed my post title.
lol....because he's all-knowing, and can/must

...next comes The Lock.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Concrete/Devcon filling a B18B Engine Block

Originally Posted by B and B
lol....because he's all-knowing, and can/must

...next comes The Lock.
I'm sorry you feel that I'm not as fun as I used to be. The Title was changed several times because the OP wasn't initially clear in his initial thread title, nor his question. Most used concrete, not Devcon or specific fillers. However, if you notice, the titles have been adjusted accordingly for clarity.

I always try to give a valid reason (in the comments section) as to why a title change is necessary. This is to give threadstarters a sort of "note" as to how to rephrase a title so more people can understand the question, and give as much input into the subject as possible, or for clarity.

There's a LOT of room to put in a reasonably written title in the beginning of a thread. If you look over the last 12 years of threads started or do a search on several search engines, you'll see that finding H-T for simple questions just gets increasingly difficult because so many people use titles like "HELP! Car not starting", or "What about this?" or ... "Filling an Engine".. It's a poor and lazy way to get people interested in a topic, and more often than not, people will click the "back" button feeling as though their time is wasted.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean. This was titled simply, "Air Bag".
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...r-bag-3305412/

The adjustments in the thread title were for several reasons..

1) The original title didn't contain the crux of the OP's question, nor did it initially post any question within the thread. No one would know what he was referring to, and there's no "well, isn't it obvious?" counter-argument. He just wasn't clear.. Plain and simple.

2) Search engines would have difficulty tagging thread titles written like this one originally was. I've asked (more like begged) people the 1st 6 months of me being a moderator to please edit their title a bit. This would allow the OP to express themselves freely the way they want it to look, but still be a bit clearer for other readers. 90% wouldn't do anything, and then have the nerve to have an attitude constantly "bumping" their thread wondering why no one would give any feedback/advice/input/thoughts, etc regarding their topic. So, to be efficient, I started some basic titles to go by that would hopefully spark more interest.

3) Despite your believing that I'm an all-out "party pooper", I feel that as one that's been on here for over a decade, the decline in being able to post a proper thread title has been lost. People still look for additional information on these threads, whether or not they're H-T members or not. No one could even come in from the outside from a google search and find anything about Devcon or whatever filler the OP was planning on using. Even if he had inserted a nice How-To guide or attached information, no one would know, because the title was so poorly written. His efforts would have been wasted

So no.. There was no power-trip, no ego, no "'Cuz I'm Shodan.." or whatever ego-maniacal, one-sentenced, simply-defined reasoning you want to give. But if you want to put me in that category.. Cool, I can live with that. As long as people can easily see the OP's question, and make as much input as possible. That's a hit I'm easily willing to take. .

Carry on, boys.

Last edited by TheShodan; 08-23-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added evidentary information to the post as an example
Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Devcon filling a B18B Engine Block

** crickets chirping **