Notices

Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help!

Old 04-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help!

Okay, here's the deal. I've come across two great deals:

1.) SMC+ for $60. (H-T member)

2.) Apexi V-AFC - $100 (deal w/good friend of mine who's car I work on often)

I plan to run DSM 450cc injectors, retard timing 3 degrees and run 9-10 psi w/dyno tuning.

Which one should I buy? It's for a 97 civic EX (SOHC VTEC), greddy kit @ 7 psi currently.

I know the SMC+ is said to be better at preventing CEL's, but the VAFC has a lot more displays and tuning options (i.e. hi/lo throttle).

Suggestions? [/B]BTW, suggestions don't include looking into uberdata, hondata, fmu, filetofit, blah blah blah. I have, and the hack seems to be the best fit for me right now.[/B] Let me know, thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (boostincoupe)

I'd vote for the VAFC if it's only $40 more. The display can offer great insight into what is going on if you know what to look for, plus you can play with VTEC actuation and have Hi/Lo throttle settings. As you have noted, the SMC is better in regards to preventing CEL's because it has internal MAP clamping, but I don't think this should be an issue on a D16 Greddy turbo @7 psi w/ DSM 450's. 9-10 psi will be cutting it closer, just be sure not to exceed the MAP voltage threshold for a CEL, which is ~ 3volts.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (turbopimp)

I would use the smc. Cheaper and same functionality.

But why on earth wouldn't you consider uberdata? you already have an ecu don't you? A burner is ~$50. Hell, I or anyone else could make you a base map and send it to you.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (devnull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would use the smc. Cheaper and same functionality.

But why on earth wouldn't you consider uberdata? you already have an ecu don't you? A burner is ~$50. Hell, I or anyone else could make you a base map and send it to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't want to run uberdata because it is a bit costly for obd-II. P28 - $100, conversion harness - $150, chip burner - $100, chipping - $50 (not doing it myself), dyno tuning - $150...it adds up.

The AFC hack is simple for me and good enough for my goals. Thanks for the suggestion though. Just remember, a complete Uberdata setup is not REALLY free.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (boostincoupe)

AFC hack gets my vote over the SMC
Old 05-01-2004, 09:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't want to run uberdata because it is a bit costly for obd-II. P28 - $100, conversion harness - $150, chip burner - $100, chipping - $50 (not doing it myself), dyno tuning - $150...it adds up.

The AFC hack is simple for me and good enough for my goals. Thanks for the suggestion though. Just remember, a complete Uberdata setup is not REALLY free.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The important stuff is free, plus your prices are a bit bloated.

You do know you have to dyno tune the afc/smc as much as you would with uberdata right? Or run the generic settings which is worse than just running a base map in uberdata.

Get the smc, I was considering it a while back. I would only get the afc if it was the same price.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (devnull)

i ran the SMC+ on my setup for over a year and i was happy with it. and hell, i paid 120 for it brand new and i still thought it was a great value for what it did. i finally upgraded to uberdata though and learned the difference between a hack and real EMS
Old 05-02-2004, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (keebler65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ran the SMC+ on my setup for over a year and i was happy with it. and hell, i paid 120 for it brand new and i still thought it was a great value for what it did. i finally upgraded to uberdata though and learned the difference between a hack and real EMS</TD></TR></TABLE>

what made you go with Uberdata after a year of using the SMC? what did the SMC lack that Uberdata provided? i am currently running the SMC+ and am just curious. thanks.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (civikdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civikdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what made you go with Uberdata after a year of using the SMC? what did the SMC lack that Uberdata provided? i am currently running the SMC+ and am just curious. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the main reason was because i wanted a "perfectly flat" A/F line. the smc+ always kept my A/F ratio in a safe range, but i wanted to perfect it. when i changed to uberdata and got a perfect tune, i noticed that some power dips had vanished, which were probably originally caused by the lumpy A/F line. also, being able to move VTEC points, make shiftlights, etc raised my interest as well. to see the difference of A/F that i'm talking about, i have a couple of datalogs that can be found here: http://www.ecimulti.org/uberda...d=352

like i said before, the SMC is great for the price and is terribly easy to install and setup. however, my setup will being seeing more boost soon and i just wanted to feel safe about making the upgrade.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (keebler65)

I have an smc500 for sale for only 80 shipped. It has fuel settings every 500rpm instead of 1000.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Debate: Whether to run the SMC+ or V-AFC for the hack. Help! (krskid)

bump...more opinions?