Notices

D16Y8 TURBO BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 TURBO BUILD

I recently came across a D16Y8 motor and was looking to build it up for a turbo. I have another d16 in my car now so I have plenty of time to do the job. I plan on purchasing the greddy kit this summer, but until then I wanted to dump alil money into the engine itself. Can anyone tell me some basic upgrades that should be changed. I already have access to a skunk2 turbo cam off my buddies car at a discount price, if I decide its the one I want. Any other suggestions on what to upgrade to keep my engine healthy longer?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: D16Y8 TURBO BUILD (civicpimpin)

The main thing is what are your power goals. With good tuning you can get 250 out of the greddy kit on a stock motor. If you want some added safety i would add cp pistons and a set of eagle rods to your motor and be good for 300+. My personal goal right now is to see if i can get 300+ whp out of a greddy kit. I think it can be done. Most ppl don't. One of the best things you can do is get your head ported and run oversize valves, a cam, springs and retainers. The sohc head is a major air flow bottle neck. If you want over 300whp, the greddy kit is not your answer. If you wanted to stay in a kit form, something along the lines of peakboost would be a better option. Your best bet would be to research and piece a kit together yourself. If you have the money to spend, sleeve your block. It's a great insurance policy to have. And the number one thing out of all this is finding a good tuner and choosing the right ems. You can have all the nicest parts and put together right, but all it takes is a bad tune and it becomes a pile of scrap metal. Sorry for the ramble, but you sound like your starting for the first time and could use a little insight.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

determine what you wanna do, and what you wanna achieve before determining how you're gonna do it there's some guys on here running the vitara pistons for low compression for boost. it works great. search about it! and then when your ready, you can build the turbo kit.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

Sleave it
Pistons
Rods
Build the Head, Ferria makes some great SOHC parts
Port and Polish
Turbo setup is going to have to do with a huge part of power, if your looking to go big
why not a Gt30 or something along those lines
Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: D16Y8 TURBO BUILD (norcalcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by norcalcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The main thing is what are your power goals. With good tuning you can get 250 out of the greddy kit on a stock motor. If you want some added safety i would add cp pistons and a set of eagle rods to your motor and be good for 300+. My personal goal right now is to see if i can get 300+ whp out of a greddy kit. I think it can be done. Most ppl don't. One of the best things you can do is get your head ported and run oversize valves, a cam, springs and retainers. The sohc head is a major air flow bottle neck. If you want over 300whp, the greddy kit is not your answer. If you wanted to stay in a kit form, something along the lines of peakboost would be a better option. Your best bet would be to research and piece a kit together yourself. If you have the money to spend, sleeve your block. It's a great insurance policy to have. And the number one thing out of all this is finding a good tuner and choosing the right ems. You can have all the nicest parts and put together right, but all it takes is a bad tune and it becomes a pile of scrap metal. Sorry for the ramble, but you sound like your starting for the first time and could use a little insight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought my 19T (Greddy) off a guy who did 306whp here on Honda tech with it. when I got the turbo, lets just say it was pretty worn out. According to the shop the rebuilt it, prolly about 10-15% efficiency was lost from wear and crap. He over revved the turbo though, but claims he saw 16-17psi from the snail. Personally, I wouldn't push more then 15psi out of it. Anyways, yes, 300whp is more then attainable with the 19T kit. With the 15G kit, thats another story IMO. Can it be done? Sure. Will the turbo last at that level? Prolly not.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Very insightful, thank you. 250whp was approx. what others had estimated for me on a stock motor as well. Now if I were to leave the motor bone stock, what is likely to be the 1st thing to go bad and wreck my whole motor? With a limited amount of money to spend after buying the turbo setup, the money I do spend on the engine will be more for liability and keeping my engine running as opposed to just adding more horsepower. I don't want to spend the time and money and blow my motor as soon as its boosted. The engine has 120k on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicpimpin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very insightful, thank you. 250whp was approx. what others had estimated for me on a stock motor as well. Now if I were to leave the motor bone stock, what is likely to be the 1st thing to go bad and wreck my whole motor? With a limited amount of money to spend after buying the turbo setup, the money I do spend on the engine will be more for liability and keeping my engine running as opposed to just adding more horsepower. I don't want to spend the time and money and blow my motor as soon as its boosted. The engine has 120k on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Headgasket. Get some ARP head studs.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: D16Y8 TURBO BUILD (Hybrid93Eg)

definate arp studs. tq them down like 5-10 more ft/lbs than recommended. keep that head from lifting
Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Pistons and head studs would be my 2 priorities. If u can afford to do the rods, go for it. At that hp lvl the stock ring lands tend to be the first thing that go. Thats what ive personaly seen. That or the ppl that exp head lifting issues.