Notices

d15b-t.. loss in power.. why??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15b-t.. loss in power.. why??

i have a jdm d15b with a t3/t4 turbo kit on 10psi tuned with chrome.
i have had the car tuned and running good for about a week or two now.
this past weekend i ran the car for the first time and put down what i was aiming for as a time.

today when i was driving it seems like the car has a loss in power.. it used to pull really really hard.. now it feels really smooth but not nearly as hard.

i have an a/f ratio, oil pressure, boost, and water temp gauge.

the gauges are all normal, i have done a compression test and still hold 220 across, and when it boosts it still holds 10 psi constantly..

cant figure out why it feels so weak now.. any suggestions??
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it possible that you're just getting used to the car?? I know that my car used to feel a lot faster than it does now (granted its in storage and doesn't start...lol)
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

time to turn up the boost?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4potnick)

well, it could be that im getting used to it i guess?? but even a couple friends that ride in it regularly say that it doesnt feel like its pulling as hard.. maybe i convinced them talking about it..

either way.. i just hope it doesnt blow up
Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 AM
i ♥ snails

boostleak or ringlands ftl!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

did you change your plugs?
after dyno'ing your car or taking it to the track, or running it at WOT for any extended period of time, the plugs have a good chance of fowling out due to rich conditions that occur at WOT for most safe street tunes...
try switching the plugs out and get back to us
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boostleak or ringlands ftl!</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do i check the ringlands..

as far as boostleak.. it holds 10psi still.. so theres no leak.. otherwise it wouldnt hold full boost.. correct??
Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (boostedsingle)

10psi on a large turbo (for a 1.5L)... can we even assume it has at least forged or vitara pistons?? At the very least, I would expect at least -1deg/lb for ignition retard, if not much more. For d-series anything above 220whp is unsafe ground. I've seen a crappy 54trim@9psi and fmu do 300whp on a 1.8L, to give you reference.

Bad ringlands can give you problems from a power loss to massive smoking out the tailpipe, depending on how much is broken. I got paid a good amount to put new pistons in someone's car while it sat on their lawn - the old pistons had such badly broken ringlands, a little bit more and the skirt would have seperated. It was still running, but looked like a military-grade smoke screen behind it.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">10psi on a large turbo (for a 1.5L)... can we even assume it has at least forged or vitara pistons?? At the very least, I would expect at least -1deg/lb for ignition retard, if not much more. For d-series anything above 220whp is unsafe ground. I've seen a crappy 54trim@9psi and fmu do 300whp on a 1.8L, to give you reference.

Bad ringlands can give you problems from a power loss to massive smoking out the tailpipe, depending on how much is broken. I got paid a good amount to put new pistons in someone's car while it sat on their lawn - the old pistons had such badly broken ringlands, a little bit more and the skirt would have seperated. It was still running, but looked like a military-grade smoke screen behind it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock internals on 10psi. t3/t4 turbo.

my car doesnt smoke badly?? it smokes when you get on it because its tuned a little rich.. but nothing un ordinary that it hasnt been doing.. just a power loss.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedsingle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my car doesnt smoke badly?? it smokes when you get on it because its tuned a little rich.. but nothing un ordinary that it hasnt been doing.. just a power loss.</TD></TR></TABLE>
did you just disregard my post? if it's running rich there is a chance you fowled out your plugs, ESPECIALLY during tuning.
If this were me, i would change my spark plugs before i would consider a tare down for ******* rings....
Old 03-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicVX94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did you just disregard my post? if it's running rich there is a chance you fowled out your plugs, ESPECIALLY during tuning.
If this were me, i would change my spark plugs before i would consider a tare down for ******* rings....</TD></TR></TABLE>

no sir... did not disregard your post.. just keeping my options available.. just changed my plugs and had my car fine tuned again to this great weather.. seems the change in temp threw my tune off quite a bit..

thanks for the help guys
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicVX94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If this were me, i would change my spark plugs before i would consider a tare down for ******* rings....</TD></TR></TABLE>

He mentioned the power was still very smooth, typically it jumps a bit when the plugs are fouled. You can still have a boost leak and make 10psi, it just takes longer to reach the 10psi to make up for what you are losing.

Check your IC. Has the temperature gone up since you tuned? heat soaking a motor will lose all kinds of hp if you arent getting it to cool properly.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedsingle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no sir... did not disregard your post.. just keeping my options available.. just changed my plugs and had my car fine tuned again to this great weather.. seems the change in temp threw my tune off quite a bit.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
glad to hear it<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunn@ITS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He mentioned the power was still very smooth, typically it jumps a bit when the plugs are fouled. You can still have a boost leak and make 10psi, it just takes longer to reach the 10psi to make up for what you are losing.

Check your IC. Has the temperature gone up since you tuned? heat soaking a motor will lose all kinds of hp if you arent getting it to cool properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>
my car runs rich as expletive and my plugs typically get fowled out quite often, so i change them about every other oil change, which for me is about 3 months.
the power band never gets jumpy, except maybe at low rpm cruising to partial throttle. just gradually i can tell its time for a change...maybe its just me
Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it possible that you're just getting used to the car?? I know that my car used to feel a lot faster than it does now (granted its in storage and doesn't start...lol)</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 once u get used to it bro ur gonna have to turn the boost back down to like 5psi drive it for like an hour than put it back to 10, trust me ur excitement will be rejuvenated haha...