Notices

cylinder bracing/stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder bracing/stabilizers

Guys, I'm so fricken lost now.

I've been debating whether i should build my block up for the t3/t04e turbo i'll be slapping on. I've already got the pistons/rods.

Anyway, i see that there is a low price on this board for Darton sleeves. I figure i might as well get the 75mm darton sleeves, so i can use the free pistons i got from someone. (i figure that my stock cylinders will have to be bore out, so these pistons i have wouldnt work)

I call up this machine shop that has worked on plenty of hondas/acuras. He thought the Darton sleeves were an overkill for what i want. I want a good 250-300hp on my D16z6 engine somewhat reliably. Keep in mind this is going to be street driven, track once and awhile.

Anyway, he goes on to say, "well i could save you some money". Rather than blowing it all on the darton sleeves plus ($1000 install! ), we could brace/use stabilizers to let you boost up to around 20 psi!? He also said they could put in sleeves that arent closed deck for around $400. He thought that the closed deck dartons arent going to be good for the street, because of cooling issues.

Can anyone on here tell me what the stabilizers are all about? and if they are worth it?

Keep in mind, this place has built MANY street/NHRA/Sprint car engines...and some import engines as well...They know their ****..

What the hell should i do?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cylinder bracing/stabilizers (ill_take_one)

Please...help!!

Any thoughts/opinions?!?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember reading about block guards in magazines. I forget who makes 'em though...(sorry brain fart)
Old 03-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please...help!!

Any thoughts/opinions?!?
sounds like they are doing "block posting". I know Tom Payn @ PaynTech was doing this for awhile, with great success. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. on ya, same concept as blockguard, but without the heating/cooling issues....
Old 03-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cylinder bracing/stabilizers (Tinker219)

Please...help!!

Any thoughts/opinions?!?
sounds like they are doing "block posting". I know Tom Payn @ PaynTech was doing this for awhile, with great success. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. on ya, same concept as blockguard, but without the heating/cooling issues....
Yeah, posting is the same thing. I just couldnt think of the terminology people have been using on here. He just said something about using stabilizers.
Well maybe i'll have to go with that instead then.
any other thoughts?
Old 03-11-2003, 06:22 AM

i have a race engineering block gaurd on my LS and no cooling problems here, maybe you could post ur block and put a block gaurd on too