Notices

Crazy idea, work with me here.

Old 03-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy idea, work with me here.

Note that this probably isn't a good idea anyways.

I was reading those pdfs that EE_Chris posted.. and read the BARO sensor info.

Now, the BARO sensor is in the most annoying location in the world for hondata. According to those tech docs, the BARO sensor is just a MAP sensor that always reads atmospheric. So... could we not just unsolder that really annoying BARO sensor from the ECU and either

1) Relocate it

or

2) Solder wiring to the board w/ a plug, and connect an extra map sensor.

Then I could leave my ZIF socket in place, and I would be able to stop ruining these ROM chips by bending the pins.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:48 PM
New User

Default Re: Crazy idea, work with me here. (dustin)

I think that's a great idea! Just last night i nearly ruined my ONLY rom chip trying to put it back into the socket. I had one whole side of the chip in but couldn't get the other side in, so afterwards it ended up looking like this:

___
| \

and i had to carefully bend the pins back in place. Not to mention it was 8pm and DARK, and i was doing this with my ecu still bolted to the car. man that was a bitch

what's the difference between 1 and 2? I would think you would want to remove it and run wiring around to it somewhere else, right?
in fact i was wondering the other day, how the hell does this barometric sensor work when it's inside a sealed ECU? you'd think if the seal was good then there wouldn't be any change in pressure, right?

-Xerxes
Old 03-28-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crazy idea, work with me here. (Xerxes)

Well, option number 2 involves using an actual secondary map sensor outside the ECU. This just seems like a bad idea to me.

I guess one could just relocate the baro sensor inside the ecu, but I'm not sure where to. It definately would have to remain inside the ecu because it just looks fragile

The ECU isn't all that sealed, air can get through where the connectors are. Any barometric changes are going to be very minor and gradual... the ECU just uses the signal as some sort of baseline.

Dustin
Old 03-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Crazy idea, work with me here. (dustin)

Dustin, if I remember correctly doug said something about the Baro sensor not realy being used for any purpose other than to measure atmospheric. I think that is what he told us at SEMA. Now, I dont see a problem relocating it with some sort of extension or something.

art
Old 03-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Crazy idea, work with me here. (Arturbo)

Even though its not in though tech .pdf's, the ECU uses the BARO sensor and MAP to arrive at the TRUE manifold pressure.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crazy idea, work with me here. (EE_Chris)

Even though its not in though tech .pdf's, the ECU uses the BARO sensor and MAP to arrive at the TRUE manifold pressure.
Figured as much