Notices

Couple noob turbo questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple noob turbo questions.

Is the b-pipe the one that is connected to the cat? Does that bolt directly to the turbo exhaust or is there another pipe?

I have a td04 turbo and the compressed air will be coming up from the left instead of down from the right like most turbos. Any special way I should route that?

I have a p72 w/ uberdata. Guy I bought it from said it was set to support up to 10psi. Will I need a FMU or will the car run alright with its stock fuel management for now? I went to DIY turbo and have the bleeder system they used for the map sensor. Will I need that since my ecu supports up to 10psi?

I know where to run the return lines on the turbo, but where is the best place to get the oil feed from? On DIYturbo it says to use a 23mm deep socket to take out the oil sensor, but that's in the very back of the motor, is there a feed I could use that is closer to the turbo?

TYIA,
Nick aka turbo noob
Old 01-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Couple noob turbo questions. (nota-ex)

B pipe usually refers to the part of the header right before the cat. But I've never heard that term used with turbo cars. It's just called a downpipe...downpipes bolt up directly to the turbine housing and go down until it meets up with the cat. usually there is a flex pipe in between to allow for movement.

For your uberdata questions you should visit the uberforums HERE You should not run that other guys P72 until you have looked at the inside of the ECU to make sure it's set up correctly. You should also make up your own basemap and start from scratch. The instructions for all that are on the uberforums.

Now for oil feed, you can use the same hole thathte oil pressure sender uses in the back of the block. Or you can use a oil filter sandwich plate like THIS ONE It has 3 holes pretapped (two small & one large) that you can for oil feed (big hole) and for oil pressure and oil temp (small holes).

For your turbo I would have to see the turbo and manifold to make sure. But I've seen turbos with the compressor on the passenger side of the car. The compressor outlet was facing up and they had the IC pipe coming off the top and crossing over the whole turbo assembly and going towards the IC inlet on the driver side.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Couple noob turbo questions. (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For your turbo I would have to see the turbo and manifold to make sure. But I've seen turbos with the compressor on the passenger side of the car. The compressor outlet was facing up and they had the IC pipe coming off the top and crossing over the whole turbo assembly and going towards the IC inlet on the driver side. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The compressor side is on the drivers side with a flange and pipe that come out and point towards the passenger side, I was thinking I could get a 180 bend that turned it back around towards the driver's side.

I opened up the p72 and I didn't really know what was going on. He's got the USB stuff soddered in. is there a way I can download uberdata, plug the ecu into my computer, and check the configuration for it? is there anything special I need to burn chips or would i have to go to a machiene shop or something for it?

I also have a HKS turbo timer, but I didn't get any instructions for it. Anyone know where I could find instructions?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, I think I might have remembered reading something about the Mitsu/MHI turbo's having funky outlets and stuff. Maybe you could check out http://www.homemadeturbos.com and see what kind of piping they run for their Mitsubishi turbos. But I think that htey did what you were talking about with a 180* U bend.

For the P72 check out Keebler65's awesome site HERE and go to uberdata and chipping info. That link has pics of before and after shots of the ECU to let you know what capacitors, jumpers and stuff need to be soldered in. If you go to the uberforums you'l see the official release forum where you can download uberdata version 1.7. You really should register on the uberforums though...check out the newbies section and it wil give you all the info you need on how to burn chips and stuff. The admin and mods over there like to keep all the uberdata Q&A on that forum to help build up the knowledgebase.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:49 PM

The p72 is the b18b ls ecu, right? or is that for a gsr? is the p75 meant for the b18b?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The p72 is the b18b ls ecu, right? or is that for a gsr? is the p75 meant for the b18b?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, P72 is for the GSR and P75 is for LS/GS.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, I think I might have remembered reading something about the Mitsu/MHI turbo's having funky outlets and stuff. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, you will need a J pipe (jay pipe same ****) that comes of the td04 to route the hot side of the intercooler piping to it...it's gay i know but once again mitsubishi and the great diamond fail us all ) Oh and you will have to get a coupler from home depot (or somewhere else) to come off that jay pipe to any size piping because the diamater at the end on ALL the mitsubishi jay pipes (aftermarket or otherwise, so i've found) is 1.75". I have a coupler that goes from 1.75 to 2" which is the size of my i/c piping...so no trouble. You will probably need the jay-pipe from dejontool.com if your endtanks go to each side...not sure if it's ever been done any other way. Hope this helps.

EDIT:

You said you have the pipe that faces towards the passenger side that comes off the turbo...that's the stock jay pipe...good luck making anything bend the other way back to the driver's side...best to just get the $70 jay pipe from dejontool.com that angles itself straight down so you only need a 90 to go the driver's side...if you need more info than what i've given i have pics of mine.