Notices

copper spray

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copper spray

copper spray on golden eagle headgasket or no? i thought it may help maintain a good seal. inputs? thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: copper spray (TypeSLO)

i copper sprayed my cometic turbo gasket, it wont hurt it nothign better then extra seal. oh yeah and yamabond5 the corners
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you asked any good and ..I mean GOOD engine builder who knows what hes doing would laugh at you if you said copper spray
Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: copper spray (ludesleep)

see, i'm getting different inputs. i think i'll just not use it on the HG. i bought it for the exhaust side. thought maybe since i have some, i can use it for the HG too.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont use it on headgaskets...all it does is make a bigger mess to clean up when its time to pull stuff apart. i sometimes use it on exhaust manifold and turbo gaskets though depending on whats going on, gasket condition etc.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesleep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you asked any good and ..I mean GOOD engine builder who knows what hes doing would laugh at you if you said copper spray </TD></TR></TABLE>
earl uses it
i believe jeff evans does too

a light coat
Old 07-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man seriously if you want good info on how to build a motor don't come here...well let me rephrase that....you could probably learn about 60% of the basics of "how to" here on h-t but no for true engine building. You would pick up more bad info than good quality expert engine tips. Go hang out on speed talk.com and read read read.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny, my engine builder has been in the buisness longer then ive been alive (25)and he made the recomendation of copper spray.

Also several people told me about yamabond on the corners because the corners ALWAYS leak oil if you dont do them.

Basically its personal preference, it will NOT harm anything, it makes for a sure seal, yes maybe a little tiny mess to clean up but nothign a little brake cleaner cant take care of,

You make the call on weather or not you wish to use it in your build
Old 07-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: copper spray (Turbo-LS)

copper spray good stuff. i've never had a bad experience with it and nither has any of my friends and customers
Old 07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: copper spray (boosted k20)

no one ever said it will hurt your motor......its the fact that its useless
Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 PM

well, thanks for the input guys. that's all i was looking for.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:41 PM

I gotta agree with the posters that dont use copper spray on the head gasket. It wont hurt anything but in my expeirence (spelling?) it is a pain in the *** to clean off when its time to freshen the motor. A properly prepared (ie machined) surface on the deck and head will help seal the gasket a lot better than any spray. Just my .02 cents
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id use it

actually i did use it
Old 07-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The two times I tried using copperspray the headgasket went faster. That's just my observation.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanEJ8)

It ws recommended that i use hylomar with my copper headgasket, it leaked, replaced with copper spray instead of hylomar, i have reused that gasket like 5 times and no issues, no leaks at all.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rtype11)

i've done both, with and without, the last build up, i used it. its cheap and is just extra little insurance.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used copper spray on a stock headgasket in my ls/vtec high compression sc61 at 20 psi revving 9100rpm daily driven 12 second shitty track quarter mile, and its still holding up.

I am getting ready to change it to a thicker cometic to lower the compression, and I am so tempted to spray it also, because in the pass have all bad experience with cometic gaskets, they always leak at the corners.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

rudebwoy, nice to see you here, hope the vacuum manifold is doing well, i think you were deployed when i sent it. in any case i will use a copper head gasket like 10 times, i make sure it is clean by using alcohol and gasket remover. then sray even thin coats of copper spray and wait for it to gwet very tacky, gotta make sure you hit your dowels dead on or its a mess. then i set the head on the studs carefully, i torque my the nuts in sequence carefully using like 5 stages instead of 2 or three, like 5psi, 10psi, 40psi, 60psi and then my final, then i go over them all making sure they are set at final torque properly. this has been repeated like 6 times with current gasket i am using and never a problem of lifted head or blown headgasket. I just keep removing the head evey once in a while to try new stuff out or for my winter maintenance.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM

ok so I'm a newb... what is copper spray and where can i read more about it
Old 07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rtype11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtype11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rudebwoy, nice to see you here, hope the vacuum manifold is doing well, i think you were deployed when i sent it. in any case i will use a copper head gasket like 10 times, i make sure it is clean by using alcohol and gasket remover. then sray even thin coats of copper spray and wait for it to gwet very tacky, gotta make sure you hit your dowels dead on or its a mess. then i set the head on the studs carefully, i torque my the nuts in sequence carefully using like 5 stages instead of 2 or three, like 5psi, 10psi, 40psi, 60psi and then my final, then i go over them all making sure they are set at final torque properly. this has been repeated like 6 times with current gasket i am using and never a problem of lifted head or blown headgasket. I just keep removing the head evey once in a while to try new stuff out or for my winter maintenance.</TD></TR></TABLE>
been back from the desert for a while now, I am using a edelbrock intake mani now, has plenty ports, so I gave the vac block away it was a great product though.

I think I am gonna spray the new gasket also, I'll sleep better
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: copper spray (95jeremie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so I'm a newb... what is copper spray and where can i read more about it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Available at pretty much any automotive store.
http://www.permatex.com/produc...t.htm
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think there is a time to use copper spray and a time not to use it.
We have Benson finish our block decks to a mirror finish. The same with PortFlow on the cylinder head. In those cases, we use a blue spray tac that acts like glue. We don't want copper particles spoiling a perfectly flat match.
If you have a rougher finish on either the block or head for whatever reason, we use copper spray because when it is compressed, it finds its way into the low spots to establish a better seal.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am getting ready to change it to a thicker cometic to lower the compression, and I am so tempted to spray it also, because in the pass have all bad experience with cometic gaskets, they always leak at the corners.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yamabond 5 works much better for the corners, i even had my HG leak in the corner with copper spray and both my head and block were machined true. Hondas just like to leak in the damn corners LOL. if the copper works for you awesome but if you still have that problem try the yamabond5
Old 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-LS)

whats yamabond?
is there an alternative to it? I cant find honda bond here, and I never heard of yamabond. will permatex ultra copper work? or ultra gray?
Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yamabond and hondabond are totally different from permatex. You can pick up yamabond at your local yamaha dealership. tell them its for a headgasket and they will give you the level 5 yamabond. **** works wonders on the corners of the headgasket.

Quick Reply: copper spray