Notices

Copper Head Gasket and boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copper Head Gasket and boost

I did a search, and couldnt really find the answers I was looking for.

I am building a turbo CRVtec motor. I am looking around at how I am going about my head gasket situation. I was originally planning on running a copper head gasket. I was doing a little bit of reading online, to decide whether or not I should hgave my block o-ringed, and in the process found out alot of people who had problems with copper head gaskets.

I mean, there are people who are telling me that if I have my block and head cut (which is done anyway), then I can run insane amounts of boost and Nitrous Oxide, and never have problems, even without it being o-ringed.

However, there are also alot of people who from personal experience have never been able to get copper head gaskets to seal, no matter what.

so I am basically trying to figure out whihc is the best way to go. I want my High boost setting to be 25 psi, and I'm planning on running a mild (75 or so) shot of NOS.

Questions
1. copper head gasket or no?
2. o-ringing neccesary or no?
3 accepter groove in the head for o-ringing, neccesary or no?

thanks a ton guys.
-Mike
Old 12-30-2003, 12:51 PM

bump... someone has some info on this...
-Mike
Old 12-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (AngelTeg)

don't u need to re-torque the head after a certain amount of time with copper gaskets thats what steve from pacific performance told me. not a good everyday street gasket

just deck the block arp studs and a stock head gasket and your set...i have never blown a gasket my block usually cracks first
Old 12-30-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Re: (DRAGLS)

Copper gaskets require alot of knowledge and care to make them work properly. You MUST use a steel o-ring in the block and a matching receiver groove in the head for proper seal. It should be covered in copper spray and if at all possible, use the SCE gasket that has the rubber around the water jackets and oil passages to ensure no leaking. The headstuds and TQ thereof are very, very important. We use them on our motors without a problem, but there is alot involved into making them be your friend and not your worst enemy.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

I had to decide this too and came to the same conclusion. If you plan on driving it daily, have the head and deck surfaced and use a stock gasket with copper spray.
Golden Eagle actually sells stock honda gaskets alredy cut for the bore size that u want. It's what I'm going to do, with AEBS head studs it should hold 20+psi all day long.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leadfoot78)

i've been having the same questions, my car's goin in the shop friday and i've been pressured into considering getting a copper head gasket although i don't think i need one. i just have a stock ls with a greddy turbo setup.

Quick question, sorry: are there any other reliable head studs other than ARP? thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had more problems using copperspray with the OEM headgasket, than not using any coppersparay at all.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 AM
something different

i'm running a stock hg, stock bore, stock sleeves, but everything was decked, and i coppersprayed the HG. i checked the torque on my ARP head studs after 10 heat cycles, and they were perfect (65 lb ft, step torqued), and i havent had problems yet. nothing hurts HG's like detonation too. make the tune safe, and you'll have lots of fun. i'd just run a stock HG any day.