Notices

CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review

This is just a brief review for people that are interested in buying an Alcohol Injection Kit. I have seen alot of threads that ask "Why dont people run Alky Injection", so I said the hell with it and bought a kit. I have yet to physically run the kit as I am going to upgrade nossles and I am waiting for a new turbo, but the kit is installed and plumbed and was not really that hard. If I did not already have my battery re-located to my trunk I would of had alot of difficulty installing the setup due to lack of space.

I purchased the Deluxe Standard Kit which goes for about $300+ Shipping, it comes with an Adjustable 150psi pump, plenty of water hose, brass check valve, in-line water filter, 2 quart resevoir, adjustable boost switch, relay with harness and your choice of single or dual nossles. It also came with all the necessary fittings to hook up the pump and tap the resevior. The kit does not include and hardware (screws etc) to mount the Tank or Pump, does not include the in-line fuse required for the pump. They did not include the dual nossles as I had asked but instead what they threw in the kit was the $50 clog detector with LED indicator light. I called about the goof and David (who is a really nice guy) said that he would hook me up with 2 nossles when I am ready for the accidental mistake. (I did not mention the clog indicator to him )
Here are some pictures I took during the install, I will update when I get the car running again and tuned, I hope to crack 500whp on pump with this new setup on an 81.5mm Bore.

This is where I mounted the Relay, Pump and Clog Indicator

The red arrow is where I tucked the Checkvalve, I opted for the check valve over a solenoid for personal preference.

I mounted the Water Tank where the stock Washer Fluid Tank use to be, I had previously removed it so it was no big deal, I was going to use the stock tank but opted not to. You can see the Brass Water Filter too in this picture, the tie's are temporary until I get it all ready to go.

This is the LED light that I am using in conjunction with the Clog Detector, It will blink when the system is in operation and working properly and will stay solid when there is a clog or pressure spike detected. I am going to add another LED to the pump to tell me if the pump is armed and working properly.

This is the LED included in the kit, it is junk and too small in my opinion.

Here is the CoolingMist Nossle, I wil lbe replacing this one with a bigger orfice nossle.

And here is a nice blurry picture of the Boost Switch, it is adjustable from 5-25psi, I am having trouble finding a suitable place to mount this currently, other than that everything else was pretty easy.

The only thing that I am worried about is I probably should of mounted the pump near the tank and had a long pressure side instead of a long line from the tank to the pump but I guess I will find out the long run. I give CoolingMist.com 's customer service a 10 and the product a 7.5. Any ?'s please feel free to ask.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
z31

Default Re: CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review (96 GSR-T)

Very nice I'm running the exact same kit. The only difference is the I've got the gallon tank instead. You've got a really nice setup there and I won't worry about the pump feed line being long the pump will have no problem drawing from the tank, I've tested the pump with 8 feet of feed line with the pump on a ladder and still had no problems. You didn't mention if you had a tank low check light, that's the only thing I could think of that's left, I only mention that because I'm paranoid and I check constantly even with a gallon tank because I don't have one. Cooling Mist is also a great company with outstanding customer service and I would definitely recommend them.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking Good When I built on a kit for my Tacoma when it was supercharged I used the Cooling Mist check valve as well as their line and fittings. I wasn't happy with the pressure switch from them so I picked up a nice adjustable Hobbs switch from Napa for aroun $20. It has an 1/8 npt male end on it so I can put any sort of barb or fitting I want. Also threads right in to most vacuum manifolds. Again looking good and I can't wait to see your results with it. After using WI once I will never again own a boosted car without it. The power gain is just obscence from a dialed in kit for so little money. Not to mention the huge safety margin you gain if your aren't "leaning" on the system. I am using a Devils Own system this next go round. They use the instant fittings that makes assembly and dissasembly a snap. http://www.Devilsownonline.com
Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking of getting one for a long time, but too pricey.
I have NX ntercooler but I cant feel any difference while using it, but I noticed my intake temp droped 50degrees while watching it on the hondata s manager.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review (Wideopentuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wideopentuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking Good When I built on a kit for my Tacoma when it was supercharged I used the Cooling Mist check valve as well as their line and fittings. I wasn't happy with the pressure switch from them so I picked up a nice adjustable Hobbs switch from Napa for aroun $20. It has an 1/8 npt male end on it so I can put any sort of barb or fitting I want. Also threads right in to most vacuum manifolds. Again looking good and I can't wait to see your results with it. After using WI once I will never again own a boosted car without it. The power gain is just obscence from a dialed in kit for so little money. Not to mention the huge safety margin you gain if your aren't "leaning" on the system. I am using a Devils Own system this next go round. They use the instant fittings that makes assembly and dissasembly a snap. http://www.Devilsownonline.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes this kit has the insant fittings too, the water line just pushed right in and you push back on the ring to take it back off. Yea im not too fond of the pressure switch either but I just got done mounting it, I used a 1/8 NTP 90 bend with a 3/16 compression fitting and presto. I will probably look into another switch before I start using it, I just wanted to get it all hooked up for now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z31 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice I'm running the exact same kit. The only difference is the I've got the gallon tank instead. You've got a really nice setup there and I won't worry about the pump feed line being long the pump will have no problem drawing from the tank, I've tested the pump with 8 feet of feed line with the pump on a ladder and still had no problems. You didn't mention if you had a tank low check light, that's the only thing I could think of that's left, I only mention that because I'm paranoid and I check constantly even with a gallon tank because I don't have one. Cooling Mist is also a great company with outstanding customer service and I would definitely recommend them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I am going to add the low lever indicator, I was going to buy a 1 gallon tank but I am glad I didnt cause I would of had no where to mount it but the trunk. I have a second red light I will probably use for either the low level indicator or the pump switch. How long does a gallon last you? and when does the system activate? I cant wait to get this thing going with my new turbo, basically a BB T3/T67 H.O. Should be fun
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
z31

The 1 gallon tank lasts me about 2 tanks of gas. It really just depends on useage/nozzle/or pump psi you run. If your at the track expect it to go down considerably just the same if you autox.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review (z31)

Yea when you run a Supercharger its diff than a turbo, I will probably engage it around 5lb boost. I was thinking about running a solenoid and engaging it with the Nitrous/Aux on my Hondata, but I have no clue how to trigger it, I have not been able to get my Launch Control and Full Throttle Shift to work under my A/C switch, I am sure I am missing something simple but I dont know what it is.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea when you run a Supercharger its diff than a turbo, I will probably engage it around 5lb boost. I was thinking about running a solenoid and engaging it with the Nitrous/Aux on my Hondata, but I have no clue how to trigger it, I have not been able to get my Launch Control and Full Throttle Shift to work under my A/C switch, I am sure I am missing something simple but I dont know what it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>did you ground the a/c switch out?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review (AbitAvenger)

Lol.... no, I removed it but there is just the plug there. What exactly do I have to do. I am going to prob hook up the full throttle to a clutch switch but that is all new to me too, I can start my car w/o pushing the clutch on for the auto start so I think I have to install one. I would like to use the FS Shift, Launch Control and the Aux all at one time, is this possible on the S300?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking about running alchy injection for my SC to keep temps down, can't hurt right?

Can't wait to see how this works out.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review (SovXietday)

Built H22 in a 92 hatch. Mounted the pump in the spare tire well and the 1 gal. tank above it in the rear interior. Set it to come in @8 psi. Used larger nozzle than they sent. Currently 429 whp @ 17 psi.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CoolingMist Alcohol Injection Review (purpleh22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purpleh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Built H22 in a 92 hatch. Mounted the pump in the spare tire well and the 1 gal. tank above it in the rear interior. Set it to come in @8 psi. Used larger nozzle than they sent. Currently 429 whp @ 17 psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you do a DYI kit or what's the name of it, I kinda wished I would of run it in the trunk with a bigger tank now.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coolingmist kit. Later ordered their new piece with different 'maps' but haven't installed it yet.