Notices

Just purchased my SMC alcohol injection kit. Mix ratio question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just purchased my SMC alcohol injection kit. Mix ratio question.

My SMC kit is on the way. I have to say they seem to have excellent customer service and they spent 20 minutes or more answering my questions and getting a system setup to my needs. I'll be running their newest setup which using a digital progressive controller and revised control panel.

SMC say they run 100% alcohol in their vehicles, but it seems that I hear of most people using an alcohol/water mix. Any input on what you have experienced would be appreciated.

I think some IAT data logging will be in order on my part.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just purchased my SMC alcohol injection kit. Mix ratio question. (ActiveAero)

Most people in the Buick community run straight Alcohol. Alcohol will give you a better result. The water was added when the kits were first used to keep the corrosive properties of the alcohol from eating the pump. SMC uses a pump that does not have to worry about that now, so straight alcohol is your best bet. My Buick has been drinking it for a long time with no problems and 23lbs of boost on pump gas.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a link on this?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Paragraph Alert

Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got a link on this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.smcenterprises.com/turbo.htm

Good alcohol injection information: http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/alcohol.html
Old 10-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (ActiveAero)

Is alcohol injection better than nitrous injection on forced induction systems? I understand nitrous has alot of the same properties alcohol or water injection has.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Paragraph Alert

Default Re: (Muckman)

The way I understand it is that alcohol doesn't release free oxygen like nitrous does. The alcohol itself doesn't make large power gains. Its the ability to run an more aggresive tune without worrying about detonation that allows for increased power.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:25 AM

I went with the progressive alky control kit from razor on the buick turbo forums. Still have the enggine out of my car so I cant give you any feedback yet. Glad to see that yours is also adjustable based on boost. I am going to run a straight shot of methanol with a couple of ounces of Koltz lube mixed in.

Where do you plan on mounting your tank? I relocated the batt to the trunk and the kit was a perfect fit.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:03 AM

Just remember that straight alchohol will dry out your rings. I've heard that mixing in mystery oil with the alchohol will help this problem
Old 10-23-2004, 03:44 AM
Paragraph Alert

Default Re: (USDMforLife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMforLife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just remember that straight alchohol will dry out your rings. I've heard that mixing in mystery oil with the alchohol will help this problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

SMC supplies the proper oil with their kit.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:12 PM

Koltz lube will help prevent this as I mentioned in my original post.

You can also use Marvels Mystery Oil.

Def want to have a lube in the mix though.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is alcohol injection better than nitrous injection on forced induction systems? I understand nitrous has alot of the same properties alcohol or water injection has.</TD></TR></TABLE>

These are 2 things that have totally opposite functions. It's like comparing a megaphone and an iPod, y'know? They both make sound, but are used in 2 totally different fasions. Nitrous adds power by itself, period. Alcohol injection lowers IAT's and provides more effective octane to the motor, which lets you increase boost, timing, and compression to make more power on pump gas. Nitrous requires additional octane, or you need to pull back on timing, compression, or boost if you're trying to spray on pump gas.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (NSP)

what about 2-stroke oil?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: (b16coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These are 2 things that have totally opposite functions. It's like comparing a megaphone and an iPod, y'know? They both make sound, but are used in 2 totally different fasions. Nitrous adds power by itself, period. Alcohol injection lowers IAT's and provides more effective octane to the motor, which lets you increase boost, timing, and compression to make more power on pump gas. Nitrous requires additional octane, or you need to pull back on timing, compression, or boost if you're trying to spray on pump gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the nitrous doesn't add power by itself, it allows you to burn more fuel meaning more power, remember when your pumping alcohol in with your fuel you are not reducing the amount of fuel, but you are burning alcohol as well, so there is a little more power that comes from the alcohol, but by the small amount you inject though, it can't be much.