Notices

Cooling problems after "upgrades"...please help...searched

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling problems after "upgrades"...please help...searched

After sifting through pages of info, I still cant find the answers to these questions...
PLEASE HELP!

-parts in a nutshell-
Koyo Aluminum radiator goes in.
Honda Type 2 coolant, 2 gallons, New thermostat from Japanese parts place (OE replacements, but who knows).
Two 10" slim fans, one puller on passenger side engine bay, other going pusher driver side on condenser.
00 LS integra with Greddy turbo parts.
-problems-
The car seems to run hotter than it did before the "upgrades", its going passed the halfway mark after 15 minutes or so of street driving.
The fans are pretty much running full time, except when you shut the engine off (its not a wiring issue).
I did my best to get all the air out despite the B18B not having a bleeder valve.
Both upper and lower hoses are hot, indicating the thermostat is opening...
The Koyo itself is freagn hot.

What gives?! None of this was a problem prior to the new parts.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cooling problems after "upgrades"...please help...searched (Spec R)

Make sure both fans are indeed pushing/pulling air from the outside toward the engine bay and not the other way around, and you should at least mix the coolant 50/50 with water if you aren't already. Considering you're in california, straight water with a bottle of water pump lube or water wetter will work fine, probably even better than with the coolant (which is actually only 'antifreeze' & water pump lube, calling it coolant is basically marketing).

If that isn't helping / not the issue, you could try removing the thermostat, or testing it in a pot of boiling water. Maybe it's stuck, check what temp it says on it. Running without a thermostat won't hurt anything, especially here in cali in the summer. It may take a little longer to warm up, or your heater might not be as hot, but your engine will thank you . gl
Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cooling problems after "upgrades"...please help...searched (eastbay92cx)

thanks for the advice...

the reason i got a new t-stat in the first place was because the stock one that came with the car was sticking open already. it just took tooooo long to warm up.

i'll do some more troubleshooting in the morning.