Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 engine over heating problem!!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 engine over heating problem!!

Alright, i'm not really sure if this is really a over heating issue but here's the case. I'd drive my car for about 10-15 min and the needle for the engine temp would go almost all the way up to hot! But i open my hood and feel the engine and it's not even hot at all. Feels at normal temperature and no smoke or anything either. I checked the thermostat and that doesn't seem to be it. Flushed my coolant and everything and none of that seemed to do anything. Radiator is working just fine, fan kicks in. I don't know what it could be that's causing my engine temp to say it's over heating? Can anyone please help??
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EM1 engine over heating problem!!

I bet there is air in the cooling system causing an airpocket, not allowing the thermostat to open.

You said you flushed your coolant. How did you do this?

Also, did you feel both radiator hoses? the upper one should be pretty toasty, while the lower one will be somewhat warm maybe cold. (this only when the thermostat doesn't open)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4dohs4mohoes
I bet there is air in the cooling system causing an airpocket, not allowing the thermostat to open.

You said you flushed your coolant. How did you do this?

Also, did you feel both radiator hoses? the upper one should be pretty toasty, while the lower one will be somewhat warm maybe cold.
I drained the coolant by unplugging the **** at the bottom. Hosed the thing down for a while then turning the engine on and off repeating the hosing process then refilled the radiator with new coolant. My brother-in-law even took out the thermostat and drove it around for a bit since it was nice out it wouldn't matter if the thermostat was in or not. But it still was acting up. If it was the thermostat it wouldn't have acted up?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KidZr0
I drained the coolant by unplugging the **** at the bottom. Hosed the thing down for a while then turning the engine on and off repeating the hosing process then refilled the radiator with new coolant. My brother-in-law even took out the thermostat and drove it around for a bit since it was nice out it wouldn't matter if the thermostat was in or not. But it still was acting up. If it was the thermostat it wouldn't have acted up?
You still did not bleed the air out of the cooling system. You should check the FAQs if you are unfamiliar with the process.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You still did not bleed the air out of the cooling system. You should check the FAQs if you are unfamiliar with the process.
I bleeded the system also. Opened the radiator cap, turned on my engine, waited for fluid to over flow, kept filling it up with water right? I did that for a long time til it stopped..
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
The Grumpiest

Fan coming on?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, every now and then.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone help?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone help?
we are.

And what did the hoses feel like? For the second time.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

we are.

And what did the hoses feel like? For the second time.
sorry, i just want to get this fixed as soon as possible. but they still felt the same. one was hot as hell and the other warmish.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, i just want to get this fixed as soon as possible. but they still felt the same. one was hot as hell and the other warmish.
Ok... We understand that. But being pushy with people who are trying to help isn't the best thing to do. Also the fact no one but yourself is with the car doesn't make this a fast process either.

You siad you took the thermostat out right? Was that before or after you "blead" the system? Also when you "blead" the system, did you have the heat on? Air can also get trapped within the heater core.

When the temp guage is getting hot, have you tried to turn the heat on? If not, try it and let me know what happens.

My car over heats also. But that is beacuse I have a bad headgasket. I already know that. This causes my coolant level to drop without any leaks. Thus low coolant=overheating. (just sayin)
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... We understand that. But being pushy with people who are trying to help isn't the best thing to do. Also the fact no one but yourself is with the car doesn't make this a fast process either.

You siad you took the thermostat out right? Was that before or after you "blead" the system? Also when you "blead" the system, did you have the heat on? Air can also get trapped within the heater core.

When the temp guage is getting hot, have you tried to turn the heat on? If not, try it and let me know what happens.

My car over heats also. But that is beacuse I have a bad headgasket. I already know that. This causes my coolant level to drop without any leaks. Thus low coolant=overheating. (just sayin)
yeah, the heat was on full blast. havent tried turning the heat on yet but i'll do that and let you know. also, how do you know if you have a bad head gasket? and is it safe to drive like that?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, the heat was on full blast. havent tried turning the heat on yet but i'll do that and let you know. also, how do you know if you have a bad head gasket? and is it safe to drive like that?
Wait... So you have the heat on full when? During the bleeding process, or when you were driving and the guage was hot? And you never answered my question about when the thermostat was taken out.

And I have a headgasket tester at my garage. NO it is not good to drive with at a bad headgasket or overheating. The thing with alluminum is it warps from excessive heat, causing all sorts of problems. It will lock up if you drive with it overheating for too long.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait... So you have the heat on full when? During the bleeding process, or when you were driving and the guage was hot? And you never answered my question about when the thermostat was taken out.

And I have a headgasket tester at my garage. NO it is not good to drive with at a bad headgasket or overheating. The thing with alluminum is it warps from excessive heat, causing all sorts of problems. It will lock up if you drive with it overheating for too long.
i had the heat on full during the bleeding process and the thermostat was taken out after the bleeding process and everything. how else do you test for a bad head gasket? and how much is it for a new one?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... so think about this for a quick second.

You blead the system, then removed the thermostat. (alowing air back into the system) then put the thermostat back in, (again allowing air back into the system) Hmmmm.

Try bleeding it again. Just for ***** and giggles. Go to the FAQ section and read the full write up on it. It will help.

You need to elimainate small possibilties before you can jump into major engine repair. Also make sure all the tests you doing are done the correct way.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...85&postcount=3
Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... so think about this for a quick second.

You blead the system, then removed the thermostat. (alowing air back into the system) then put the thermostat back in, (again allowing air back into the system) Hmmmm.

Try bleeding it again. Just for ***** and giggles. Go to the FAQ section and read the full write up on it. It will help.

You need to elimainate small possibilties before you can jump into major engine repair. Also make sure all the tests you doing are done the correct way.
alright, i'm gonna try bleeding the system all over again and see what happens. i'm just really hoping it's not a bad head gasket or something but it could be. cause oil is also leaking on my engine as well =\
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, i forgot to add, when i go on the highway the temp seems to be normal again but once i'm in the city going at slower speeds the temp goes back up. man, what the hell.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
The Grumpiest

Doesn't sound like the fan is actually turning on.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Doesn't sound like the fan is actually turning on.
This

And.................................. AIR IN THE SYSTEM