Notices

convert internal wastegate to external?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convert internal wastegate to external?

Found a cheaper garrett turbo that has a fresh rebuild. It has an internal wastegate and I want to run 20psi on a build D and already have an external tail 38mm wastegate. He says I can remove the internal and put a 5 bolt flange on to run my down pipe. Truth? I am having a hard time figuring out all the little things with it and my old turbo was set up for external a few years ago. It also says its water cooled, do you just run a coolant line there or can this be avoided all together? My last one was oil cooled only. Looked into the newb threads and didn't find my answer. Googled for awhile now and still am not 100%
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: convert internal wastegate to external?

It would be similar to what the Subaru and DSM guys do when they convert. You would weld the flapper doors shut with a tack weld, and remove the wastegate actuator rod and assembly. You would then use a 5 bolt Ford Style weld flange (going to the downpipe) that covers the hole that was there from the turbine housing. Now you can run external wastegate.

As for the water lines, that's up to you whether or not you want to risk the turbo. If it was OEM, you may have the option without much trouble. If it worked before without them, and it was old and cheap, why not stay oil cooled.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: convert internal wastegate to external?

Awesome thanks! Went ahead and purchased it, hopefully gets here monday. Im assuming the flapper doors are the litle fin looking things on the opposite side of the flange the turbo is on. Say Turbo/Flange/Internal wastegate flappers