Notices

cold air intakes for the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold air intakes for the turbo

(i looked for the old thread about this but couldn't find it)
who has tried to make one themselves?
it seems alot of turbo vehicles like the wrx can benefit from a relocated filter for colder air.
i have a greddy kit and i'm thinking about getting flexible hosing and piping that doesn to the front of my vehicle so the intake can grab colder air.

thoughts?
Old 07-31-2003, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cold air intakes for the turbo (igo4bmx)

bump
Old 07-31-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other thread is on page 2, your makes alot more sense than the other post. Most people just use the traditional style intake(drag), however im sure you can get creative and fab up some piping for a track setup. Most kits like Revhard dont come with an intake & filter, but you can make your own using some 90 degree bends, welding, and a filter.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:18 AM

i've thought of this before as well, but for the most part, won't all that cold air get heated up passing through the compressor anyway? i don't know exactly how hot in terms of temp however, so i can't confirm if the air will heat up to the point where there is no noticeable gain or if it will heat up but still be cool enough to show gain. it'd be nice if someone could prove some gains with this, otherwise i guess its easier and more cost effective to just run a short pipe and filter off the compressor
Old 07-31-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: cold air intakes for the turbo (Pengo)

the problem stock turbo cars run into running cai's is leaning out...

you have to mod the fuel delivery to accept the colder/denser air... otherwise you risk running lean...

Also tuning becomes a little more hap-hazard due to the bigger variences in intake temperatures... the under hood air is essentially the same temp winter spring summer fall... where as the cai can vary greatly from day to day or day to night etc... giving you better or worse performance depending on the weather... Again risking leaning out on a particularly cold night.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: cold air intakes for the turbo (NonovUrbizniz)

i think with a properly sized intercooler it wont make much of a difference on a street car.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:02 PM
New User

thats a good point. and to back that up. my egts are noticably higher at night then during the day. suggesting that im leaning out and the colder air is producing more power = creating more heat
Old 07-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem stock turbo cars run into running cai's is leaning out...

you have to mod the fuel delivery to accept the colder/denser air... otherwise you risk running lean...

Also tuning becomes a little more hap-hazard due to the bigger variences in intake temperatures... the under hood air is essentially the same temp winter spring summer fall... where as the cai can vary greatly from day to day or day to night etc... giving you better or worse performance depending on the weather... Again risking leaning out on a particularly cold night.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a very good point indeed. But if you have your car tunned to have a ideal a/f ratio and have converative timing you should not have to worry about anything. Just like stock cars that come with a richer air fuel ratio mainly for that compenspensation factor of temp changes.

anyone know what I mean?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold air intakes for the turbo (Charlie Moua)

yeah but no turbo car that I know of uses anything but underhood air for that reason...

I've read a post about a wrx owner who's only mod was a cai and he blew his motor on a cold night over reving it...

the problem is that if the air is 100degrees during the day and 60 at night that 40 degree difference accounts for WAY too much extra oxygen then simply running kinda rich will be able to compensate for...

I mean don't get me wrong ALL SORTS of stuff works fine for a while... I'm just talking about ideals... If it were me though and I had a cai on the turbo I'd be sure to adjust the fuel a little for big temperature changes...

But frankly I'd probobly just be safe and run it from under hood where there isn't soo much varience....

(I know for a fact that a stock turbo II rx-7 will blow if you run a cai and don't mod the fuel (from stock))

For a cai to be truely safe I'd want an ecu that had an iat and map sensor constantly adjusting the fuel mix.... cold air is large enough a change for na... start compressing that cold air and it gets exponentially worse/better (depending on how you look at it).
Old 07-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel injection computers have a thing called an air temperature sensor. This sensor adjust fuel according to air temperature...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold air intakes for the turbo (tony1)

ding ding ding
Old 08-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold air intakes for the turbo (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fuel injection computers have a thing called an air temperature sensor. This sensor adjust fuel according to air temperature...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know... my 93 doesn't have one... and if it was turboed it's presensce wouldn't matter unless the ecu was taking into account that the denser air was then being compressed...

So sure the obdII cars have it but I don't think many people who turbo their cars attach it to the turbo intake (assumption)... and even if they do it only richens MINORLY for a na setup not MAJORLY for turbo charged cold air.