Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which filter/intake mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which filter/intake mod?

I want to put a new air filter on my car but don't know which one will give e etter performance. My choices are-
my stock air box and snorkel with a k&n air filter
a cone filter(non cold air)
a sponge style filter (non cold air)
stock air box with k&n and gutt it out

If I use the non cold air filter will performane cancel itself out by the filter taking in hot engine air?
Old 01-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which filter/intake mod? (alias 33)

just get a cheap ebay short ram or cold air
Old 01-18-2004, 06:15 PM

you should get a cold air intake if the car is turbocharged.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which filter/intake mod? (b18c5_motor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18c5_motor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should get a cold air intake if the car is turbocharged.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should read and learn. If you have a cold air intake, it doesn't make a ****. For one, yoiu have to replace your intake or chop it up to use it with a turbocharger, and 2, when it goes through the turbo the air gets heated anyway.

As far as the original question, I would say get a short ram, route it into the stock airbox, and stick a K&N in it.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which filter/intake mod? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should read and learn. If you have a cold air intake, it doesn't make a ****. For one, yoiu have to replace your intake or chop it up to use it with a turbocharger, and 2, when it goes through the turbo the air gets heated anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bwahaha owned
Old 01-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd throw a K&N filter in the stock boxand take out the resonator box hidden in the fenderwell.you could even run a small length of pipe or hose from the bottom of the airbox through the hole in the fenderwell where the resonator used to pass through.this will feed the filter cool air,and won't cost you much money.you could also get a cheap CAI off Ebay for probably the same price.
chris
Old 01-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should read and learn. If you have a cold air intake, it doesn't make a ****. For one, yoiu have to replace your intake or chop it up to use it with a turbocharger, and 2, when it goes through the turbo the air gets heated anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

w3rd
Old 01-18-2004, 06:24 PM

Default how bout' this one?

will this work well?

or should I get this one? does the filter design matter much?

Old 01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how bout' this one? (alias 33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alias 33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will this work well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33621

or should I get this one? does the filter design matter much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33659</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, those are cheapo paper filters. Get a K&N that will drop into your stock airbox. The K&N filters are reusable, and have a million mile warranty. 40 dollars up front might seem high, but considering you don't ever have to replace it. Just get a cheapo short ram from Ebay and put it in place of your stock arm.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should read and learn. If you have a cold air intake, it doesn't make a ****. For one, yoiu have to replace your intake or chop it up to use it with a turbocharger, and 2, when it goes through the turbo the air gets heated anyway.

As far as the original question, I would say get a short ram, route it into the stock airbox, and stick a K&N in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i've got to disagree with you.my filter used to be directly behind the fan.when sitting in traffic or in the staging lanes,the filter is just sucking air right off the hot radiator...i moved it into the fenderwell and honestly noticed a difference.to say it doesn't matter doesn't make sense.you're talking about probably a 50 degree difference in air temp.that's like saying an I/C doesn't make a difference.having a measurable decrease in intake temp should equal lower temps after the I/C too.seems that would make a difference to me.
chris
Old 01-18-2004, 06:29 PM

but i see you live in nd, a cai could be bad news as it can get wet in a puddle then freeze, which leaves you with a no air intake, and could kill your engine. id go with a ram air type, where the intake is under your hood, but not down underneath like a cai
Old 01-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which filter/intake mod? (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i've got to disagree with you.my filter used to be directly behind the fan.when sitting in traffic or in the staging lanes,the filter is just sucking air right off the hot radiator...i moved it into the fenderwell and honestly noticed a difference.to say it doesn't matter doesn't make sense.you're talking about probably a 50 degree difference in air temp.that's like saying an I/C doesn't make a difference.having a measurable decrease in intake temp should equal lower temps after the I/C too.seems that would make a difference to me.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

You say that, but I would never run a turbo setup without an intercooler, and I have had my filter both in the fenderwell and under my hood, and noticed nothing. Pulling cool air and then heating it up in the turbo is going to end you up with hot air one way or the other.

EDIT: my original post was in response to another post..check that out..I don't think you saw it.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You say that, but I would never run a turbo setup without an intercooler, and I have had my filter both in the fenderwell and under my hood, and noticed nothing. Pulling cool air and then heating it up in the turbo is going to end you up with hot air one way or the other.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
the point i was trying to make was that the sole purpose of an i/c is to lower the intake temp as much as possible.assuming an i/c has the ability to lower the intake charge temp X degrees or X%(everything else being equal),it will always be lower by the time it reaches the engine if the air is cooler to begin with.people try to fit the biggest i/c they can on their car,which isn't always benificial,but never seem to worry about how they can effectively lower intake temps substantially just by changing the inlet placement.i've always wondered how much this affects actual power output,but i've never really seen anybody specifically researching it.hopefully in the next month i'll be on the dyno at P1,so maybe i can try to do some kind of comparison.
chris
Old 01-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the point i was trying to make was that the sole purpose of an i/c is to lower the intake temp as much as possible.assuming an i/c has the ability to lower the intake charge temp X degrees or X%(everything else being equal),it will always be lower by the time it reaches the engine if the air is cooler to begin with.i've always wondered how much this affects actual power output,but i've never really seen anybody specifically researching it.hopefully in the next month i'll be on the dyno at P1,so maybe i can try to do some kind of comparison.
chris </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good stuff man!! My fenderwell got ripped up when I hit something in the road, so I relocated the filter back inside the engine bay. Did'nt notice any difference on the WB02 (and it gets leaner in the winter with the cooler air), so I doubt if it makes more than 5whp difference, or any difference at the track. Once you do find out, please let me know!! Now I'm interested!!
Old 01-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff man!! My fenderwell got ripped up when I hit something in the road, so I relocated the filter back inside the engine bay. Did'nt notice any difference on the WB02 (and it gets leaner in the winter with the cooler air), so I doubt if it makes more than 5whp difference, or any difference at the track. Once you do find out, please let me know!! Now I'm interested!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmmm.if the maybe 50 degree cooler air in the winter makes a noticable difference on the O2,but the filter location didn't,it makes me wonder if the air in the area right behind the radiator really is signifigantly hotter....once you get moving and get outside airflow through the rad and into the engine bay to the filter,i'd think it wouldn't be much hotter than outside ambient temperature-at any reasonable speed the air moving through the rad couldn't be picking up enough heat to make for a very big increse in temp.....my main concern was sitting still with the filter a few inches from the rad,ingesting air that was basically just stagnant,soaking heat off the radiator.i always seemed to notice that the car felt very sluggish off the line,but seemed to pull like normal after a few seconds.i did try a very low-tech experiment by comparing how the car felt when i would sit for about a minute,then take off;and how it felt when i would quickly come to a stop,then take right back off.it always seemed to feel better when i would keep the air moving.once i relocated the filter,it seemed to perform the same either way.i know that's really no way to prove anything conclusive,but it did make me think it was at least worth leaving it in CAI style mount.
i would also like to get some kind of temperature probe and set it up where the filter used to be located behind the radiator,just to see how the temp changes,and how much it drops when moving.
chris
Old 01-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know on my mom's V6 Accord (I know, different car) the intake temps sit around 115 degrees when you sit still. In my car with the Type 24 fmic, my intake temps are always 80 degrees or lower. This is having the filter inside the engine bay behind the radiator. I wish I had bought the OBD software before, but you plug into your OBD2 port and you can see what all of your sensors see (and I was watching my IAT sensor).
Old 01-18-2004, 06:59 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man , id never run my car without an intercooler ,thats like running without oil
Old 01-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> In my car with the Type 24 fmic, my intake temps are always 80 degrees or lower. This is having the filter inside the engine bay behind the radiator. I wish I had bought the OBD software before, but you plug into your OBD2 port and you can see what all of your sensors see (and I was watching my IAT sensor).</TD></TR></TABLE>
is that when moving or sitting still?is that in boost or not?in what temperature weather is that reading?...
chris
Old 01-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that when moving or sitting still?is that in boost or not?in what temperature weather is that reading?...
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's sitting still in like 70 degree weather. That was out of boost of course, as I was sitting still.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:16 PM
mike93eh

short ram
Old 01-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's sitting still in like 70 degree weather. That was out of boost of course, as I was sitting still.</TD></TR></TABLE>
did you ever get any readings of what kind of after i/c temps you have in boost?
chris
Old 01-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you ever get any readings of what kind of after i/c temps you have in boost?
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did, but I can't remember what they were. I'll go get some tomorrow and let you know.

EDIT: And on the last one I said about the temps, those conditions were for both the Accord and the Civic in the same night,
Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Remove resonator box...cut 3" short ram pipe and attach it to stock airbox with a K&N drop in