Notices

why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device?

i read somewhere, maybe it was around this board, that it is not good to have a cold air setup with a turbo or supercharger. i guess that is right because all the filters i ever see on turbos are in the engine bay. it seemed like it would be a good idea, but i can't see why it wouldn't be more beneficial. would it be dangerous or something? but the supra on the new turbo issue has a velocity horn coming out of the freakin hood! i need a good explanation of why it isn't good to do this.
Old 07-01-2001, 02:59 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (loturbohybrideg)

its good to get cold air at all times... but they don't use cold air mainly cuz its too restrictive.. for supercharger, this is where an "ice box" comes in.. basically a short ram with cold air routed from the outside... when i get my turbo, the filter will be on the inside, but i'll route a pipe from the outside carrying the cold air directly to the filter... TADA!!! cold air
Old 07-01-2001, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (Mr Integra)

i guess you mean restrictive, in that a longer 3 inch intake pipe that doesn't taper from outside the bay to the turbo's intake port? i know that would be restrictive...but i what if i custom make a 6 inch to 3 inch velocity horn that was routed out of the freakin hot bay? i just don't like the fact that my intake pipe is resting on a hot radiator hose and the filter is blasted with hot air pull from the radiator. i don't want my filter end in the bay. i didn't like when i route air hose to the bay and to the filter...it gets way to dirty. i just want the much cooler air to be pulled and charged from a stop or at idle, that's all. i also can see a way to make a "y" and route two 3" pipes with two filters. i am going to do something and no one is going to stop me. b.t.w. thanks for the information mister integra. i appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2001, 01:13 PM
KJ
Trial User

Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (loturbohybrideg)

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Add an extenstion to where my filter stops now and lead it down into the finder perhaps.
Old 07-01-2001, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (KJ)

Cold air is always better than hot air. The only time this wouldn't be true is if the piping to get the cold air made it far more restrictive than it had been before.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (Strng1dah)

cold air is good, but i can only imagine what a turbo would do if the CAI filter got soaked or submerged in water in some freek storm or accidental large puddle collision!!!

compressed puddle water??
Old 07-02-2001, 08:29 AM

In regards to that Supra on the cover of Turbo magazine, they say that car is a "street/strip car". Yeah right! Who in there right mind would drive around with an exposed compressor to suck in a rock/bird poop etc and blow up that way expensive motor! I might have been born during the day, but it sure wasnt yesterday! Later!
-Ricky
Old 07-02-2001, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (iceburgslim)

I agree. That turbo does not even clear the hood!

1700cc squirters, motec and methonal. Street car they say.....suuuuurrrre

In regards to that Supra on the cover of Turbo magazine, they say that car is a "street/strip car". Yeah right! Who in there right mind would drive around with an exposed compressor to suck in a rock/bird poop etc and blow up that way expensive motor! I might have been born during the day, but it sure wasnt yesterday! Later!
-Ricky
Old 07-02-2001, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why isn't it good to mix cold air intake with a compressor device? (iceburgslim)

that's funny! what would he do if he blended someone's precious little kitty...man, that would be nasty. and yeah...that thing is too nasty for the streets. good for him i guess.